You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

7 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think the point about last night is that without VVD we cannot do the holding the line stuff. As for the decision I don't believe Barkeley was offside,Firmino was level with him,but the two other Chelsea players were meaning that they forced our defenders to react to their positions,ie they were interfering with play. I also thought a referee was supposed to look at a screen to review it and not let others make the decision for him? I've said it many times before but the standard of refereeing in the PL is worse than some African countries with amateur like leagues. Let's not even get into the fact that it shouldn't have been a free kick in the first place either. I felt the Chelsea lad booked for his 'foul' on Shaqiri didn't even commit a foul. Terrible officiating all round.

It was tight but he was offside.  The only thing close to playing him on is Firmino’s arm which obviously doesn’t count.  I love how a couple of bad decisions suddenly make the standard of officiating worse than African amateur leagues though.  Any time I ever watch any international game, La Liga game or occasional MLS/Italian game the refereeing is laughable.  

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, The Guest said:

It was tight but he was offside.  The only thing close to playing him on is Firmino’s arm which obviously doesn’t count.  I love how a couple of bad decisions suddenly make the standard of officiating worse than African amateur leagues though.  Any time I ever watch any international game, La Liga game or occasional MLS/Italian game the refereeing is laughable.  

The world cup proved how poor English officiating is when refs from hardly recognised countries turned in performances way better than we see every week in the PL with full time refs and all the best equipment money can buy. PL refs are shite and I've been saying it for yonks,and it might have a direct correlation with the inept cunt they have in charge of them.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

The ludicrous decision to award that goal wasn't the fault of var. Var did its job and identified two offside players. It's the atrocious decision by the bellend of a ref that was at fault. 

Hence my ongoing argument against VAR and for better refereeing instead. How can we ever improve refs with Mike Riley in charge!! It's like putting Wile E Coyote in charge of your chicken coop.

• 4 months later...

I don't care if the reason is the games are too fast nowadays or the PL Refs are just incompetent, but it’s gone too far now. When key decisions rate sinks below 50% they might as well toss a coin.  

The worst thing, however, is that the refs seem to be highly influenced by media crap, singling out certain players and-/or teams as villains.

I’m not any longer in support of VAR, I now love VAR, I worship VAR. Thank god it’s coming next season.

Surely he's just saying that to protect a former colleague.

If he really means that, he should go and see a doctor. It's either something with his eyes or he'd reached an alarming level of senility. Not a pen, when seen from all angles? Give me a break.

I do think Atkinson would've got it right with VAR.

38 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

Surely he's just saying that to protect a former colleague.

If he really means that, he should go and see a doctor. It's either something with his eyes or he'd reached an alarming level of senility. Not a pen, when seen from all angles? Give me a break.

I do think Atkinson would've got it right with VAR.

He said after the game that he'd seen more angles and it was a definite pen.

It cost us two points last night but with VAR we'd have drawn at Spurs. I personally think it takes enjoyment out of the game by slowing it down and meaning you can't instantly celebrate a goal.

In short, it might be scientifically better but I still think it's shit.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Wezza said:

I dont think it's going to solve everything. They had Peter Walton on BT last night, and he said a yellow card for Maguire was right, and it wasn't a penalty - so if we was in the VAR bus last night for example nothing would have changed!

Just how gormless did he sound?

And the commentator took his opinion as definitive and the end of the matter.  "Peter has spoken."

It actually made him look even more clueless.

I hate him.

No point in VAR if the people watching it are dickheads. May aswell press the red interactive button at home and decide how bias each person is. A ref will back a ref, a red will back a red and a blue a blue. Better to just demote refs,  linesman for wrong decisions and punish players for blatant cheating. 

Edited by Bobby Hundreds