You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

• 3 weeks later...

It has been a disaster in the Bundesliga so far. I'm generally against it as I don't think it suits a sport without time-outs etc like football is.

As an addition to this: First match of the new season last night, VAR a disaster right away.

https://www.dw.com/en/bundesliga-bayern-munich-scrape-opening-win-after-var-controversy/a-45215539

• 4 weeks later...

We need managers to start talking about getting it in.   Could probably even get away with complaining about the refs performance by simply saying "their first goal doesn't stand with VAR because he's offside and you can't expect any human to be right 100 percent of the time without replays, so we'll just have to put up with wrong decisions that could cost silverware & millions of pounds until then".

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Grinch said:

We need managers to start talking about getting it in.   Could probably even get away with complaining about the refs performance by simply saying "their first goal doesn't stand with VAR because he's offside and you can't expect any human to be right 100 percent of the time without replays, so we'll just have to put up with wrong decisions that could cost silverware & millions of pounds until then".

Why weren't you bumping this on Saturday when we benefited from it?

Just now, No2 said:

Why weren't you bumping this on Saturday when we benefited from it?

Cause Spurs and that cunt Levy can do one.

Seriously though, yea it was  a penalty at the weekend with it.  Fair enough.  We'd have shot ourselves in the foot and no one to blame but ourselves, that's easy to live with and something you can work on.

We also beat them last year with VAR (used correctly) in.   Instead we drew 2-2 and can't work on the reasons why, other than take more of our chances incase the opposition are gifted goals they don't deserve.

The better attacking teams will be the ones that benefit more often than not shirley.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Grinch said:

Cause Spurs and that cunt Levy can do one.

Seriously though, yea it was  a penalty at the weekend with it.  Fair enough.  We'd have shot ourselves in the foot and no one to blame but ourselves, that's easy to live with and something you can work on.

We also beat them last year with VAR (used correctly) in.   Instead we drew 2-2 and can't work on the reasons why, other than take more of our chances incase the opposition are gifted goals they don't deserve.

The better attacking teams will be the ones that benefit more often than not shirley.

I'd prefer the extra 2 points this season rather than last. If we win the league by a point all the VAR supporters can look back and reflect on might have been.

1 minute ago, No2 said:

I'd prefer the extra 2 points this season rather than last. If we win the league by a point all the VAR supporters can look back and reflect on might have been.

What you're saying would make some sense if there isn't another single blatantly wrong decision between now and May in the league.   Very doubtful when we only had to wait a few days for one to go against us in a different competition that thankfully didn't cost us.

By your logic the lack of VAR has cost us a title already when Sterling was incorrectly ruled offside against City, which would be nonsense of course.

5 minutes ago, Grinch said:

What you're saying would make some sense if there isn't another single blatantly wrong decision between now and May in the league.   Very doubtful when we only had to wait a few days for one to go against us in a different competition that thankfully didn't cost us.

By your logic the lack of VAR has cost us a title already when Sterling was incorrectly ruled offside against City, which would be nonsense of course.

You're going back too far with Sterling, at least VAR exists now so you can debate no problem  but it's illogical to go back 5 years, you may as well go back 20.

Will a decision cost us? Of course it will but as it stands we have 2 points more than City, with VAR it's the other way around. You mentioned last night it cost us but if it was in then Neymar is not getting called offside at 0-0 when clean through, that could have changed everything. 

2 minutes ago, No2 said:

You're going back too far with Sterling, at least VAR exists now so you can debate no problem  but it's illogical to go back 5 years, you may as well go back 20.

Will a decision cost us? Of course it will but as it stands we have 2 points more than City, with VAR it's the other way around. You mentioned last night it cost us but if it was in then Neymar is not getting called offside at 0-0 when clean through, that could have changed everything. 

I'm being illogical?  Mate, you're away with the fairies on this one.  It's got nothing to do Liverpool winning any one game or not, there's no way of saying one way or the other how seasons would end up with it.

The only thing you can say about it is it will 100 percent definitely bring more correct decisions, which should in theory lead to the better team winning more often than not.   I'm not sure why anyone other than those who profit from this alleged drama would be against that.

Its implementation in England has been nothing short of shocking. While there is always a debate over interpretation of certain situations and blunders here and there, lots of influential players and coaches in Spain, Germany, France and Italy think it has been decent and made the game more fair. Are English refs more stupid than their counterparts? Have they not been trained enough to use it?  What is going on here?

Any of those Chelsea players even looking like jumping for that ball could put off a defender as easily as Mane did going for that ball v Spurs (which was correctly offside). 

How VAR can't pick that up with the benefit of a replay is mind-boggling. 

5 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Its implementation in England has been nothing short of shocking. While there is always a debate over interpretation of certain situations and blunders here and there, lots of influential players and coaches in Spain, Germany, France and Italy think it has been decent and made the game more fair. Are English refs more stupid than their counterparts? Have they not been trained enough to use it?  What is going on here?

That's never been in doubt.  We have the worse refs in any major league on the planet and it's been that way for an age.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, A_S said:

Any of those Chelsea players even looking like jumping for that ball could put off a defender as easily as Mane did going for that ball v Spurs (which was correctly offside). 

How VAR can't pick that up with the benefit of a replay is mind-boggling. 

I think the fact that VAR was showing the screen to the referee suggests that the operators felt it was offside. My understanding is it is still the referee who has to make the final decision so the pictures were showing it was offside and the referee still decided it wasn't.

That's not the fault of VAR, that's a question mark against the sincerity of the referee.

I think the point about last night is that without VVD we cannot do the holding the line stuff. As for the decision I don't believe Barkeley was offside,Firmino was level with him,but the two other Chelsea players were meaning that they forced our defenders to react to their positions,ie they were interfering with play. I also thought a referee was supposed to look at a screen to review it and not let others make the decision for him? I've said it many times before but the standard of refereeing in the PL is worse than some African countries with amateur like leagues. Let's not even get into the fact that it shouldn't have been a free kick in the first place either. I felt the Chelsea lad booked for his 'foul' on Shaqiri didn't even commit a foul. Terrible officiating all round.

The on pitch referees don’t take a look at offsides because it’s an either he is or he isn’t decision.  Some absolute bollocks is spoken about VAR sometimes.  Last night was no better with Jody Morris saying it’s not a clear and obvious error.  These fellas are coaching at the top of the game and haven’t got a fucking clue.  Offsides do not fit in that clear and obvious error wording because they’re Fucking offsides.

Separately Carra saying “under the new rules you have to touch the ball to be active” is just outright false.  Players are continually flagged for going for the ball every fucking game and that’s because that’s the fucking rules.