You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Everton 1 (Jan 5 2018)

tlw content

evertonreport2.jpg

I’m not a big believer in ‘what goes around comes around’ because there are just too many despicable individuals riding high in life. Every now and then though karma does come into play, and for Evertonians to be crying about a ‘soft penalty’ and narrow defeat just a couple of weeks after the daylight robbery they pulled at the same end of Anfield a few weeks ago, well it’s pretty damn satisfying. 

The penalty was soft, no question about it. Outside the box you’d maybe expect to get a free-kick for that more often than not, but inside you’re going to get that maybe one or two times out of ten, three at a push (or in this case a pull!). But soft as it was, it was every bit as much a penalty as the one that handed them a scabby draw which they celebrated as though they’d just won a treble. More so in fact, as unlike Calvert-Lewin, Lallana didn't initiate the contact, he just exaggerated it.

Of course the Blues were adamant that it was a foul on Calvert-Lewin, and suddenly everyone seemed to be trotting out this bizarre mantra of “well if you put your hands on a striker you’re giving the referee a decision to make”. It wasn't just Evertonians, it was Sam Allardyce and the vast majority of journalists and pundits who covered the game too. 

That was the thing that bothered me more than anything. It bothers me even more now when some of those same pundits and journalists are describing the Lallana penalty as ’soft’ and suggesting it’s not a foul. Look, I know there’s always a bias towards the little guy and everyone wants to see the giant toppled, but the hypocrisy in the reaction to these two incidents was astounding, not least from Fat Sam. 

Let’s revisit what he said about the Lovren / Calvert-Lewin incident: 

“Don’t put your hands on a forward in the box. Don’t mess with him, don’t push him, don’t touch him. If you do, you run the risk of giving a penalty away”. 

His view on this one? “I think the referee made a mistake”. 

Life comes at you fast sometimes, eh? 

At least Klopp is consistent when he says he didn’t think either of them were penalties. He was incredulous at the reactions in his press conference a few weeks ago so it must have been pretty sweet for him to go in there this time and basically take the piss by saying “Hey, it must be a penalty because you all told me you can't put your hands on a striker in the box”. 

In real time I thought it was a penalty but I also thought Mané should have buried the loose ball and because the ball had fell to him I was worried the ref would have ignored the penalty because he’d played the advantage. Thankfully he pointed to the spot anyway. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for THREE MONTHS.

• Upvote 4

Thought VVD and Robertson were both excellent. As for the wee ballbag who’s left, I’ll miss his talent but I won’t miss him, the Judas little shit. This was a guy who couldn’t get a game in an utterly shit Inter side before we rescued his career and he couldn’t/wouldn’t give the club and fans 5 months as a thank you...?

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Thought VVD and Robertson were both excellent. As for the wee ballbag who’s left, I’ll miss his talent but I won’t miss him, the Judas little shit. This was a guy who couldn’t get a game in an utterly shit Inter side before we rescued his career and he couldn’t/wouldn’t give the club and fans 5 months as a thank you...?

He did in a way, he wanted out in the summer. 

This was a guy who couldn’t get a game in an utterly shit Inter side

Sheesh - you may be pissed and all but that is a little bit of sour revisionism there. He played more for them that last season than us. At 19. At 18 he was playing in the CL while we were lining up Christian Poulsen in our midfield. Scored 5 in 16 in La Liga that previous year.

I enjoyed the game in retrospect, way more than watching it live.

A Derby win, on a Friday night with a dodgy pen and a late winner is perfect. However, I spent most of the game irate at the 8,000 Everton fans and worrying they were going to hit us, steal it late.

The final whistle was a relief.

Loved the daughter story, she'll idolise you as a football Nostradamus now.

I had put the boy in my car which was out on the road one day when I got the impression that I hadn't locked the front door so I steeplechased my way over our wall, which is not much more than knee height, then did the same coming back. The look on his face. "How did you do that, daddy?"

I know I grinch about the cost of going to Anfield, but I can't wait to bring him there for the first time

• Upvote 1

I had put the boy in my car which was out on the road one day when I got the impression that I hadn't locked the front door so I steeplechased my way over our wall, which is not much more than knee height, then did the same coming back. The look on his face. "How did you do that, daddy?"

I know I grinch about the cost of going to Anfield, but I can't wait to bring him there for the first time

It was 86-quid extremely well-spent, and we even lost.

• Upvote 1

I was a bit disappointed with Can for their goal to be honest. He was level with Sigurdsson around half way but didn’t track him all the way back. If he’d stayed with him then their goal wouldn’t have happened.

Can is like one of those kids at school who always seems to have loads of energy to run forward and score but never quite be arsed getting back.

Good report that,with regards to the Firmino thing,the ref would have definitely heard what was said so I don’t expect anything to come of this,but,you never fuck’n know with them cunts at the f.a.

Regardless of what happens though Bobby will be booed at all the away grounds now by all the fuck’n morons,I just hope it doesn’t effect him