You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Firmino Racism Allegations

aRdja

Feel sorry for Holgate. This is going to make it harder for players to report things in the future. Partisanship really needs to be put to one side for cases like this.

How will it make it harder? The claim was investigated and no evidence was found to back up his claim. I'm curious to know what you would have done in the FA's place?

How will it make it harder? The claim was investigated and no evidence was found to back up his claim. I'm curious to know what you would have done in the FA's place?

I'll be interested to see how Holgate's career gets on from here. Wouldn't be surprised to see him not achieve his potential.

It's just a sad situation. He's probably wishing he never heard anything or said anything at all. I'll leave aside the cynical claims that he was doing it to escape punishment as it's one of the worst things you can say about someone.

• Downvote 7

Feel sorry for Holgate. This is going to make it harder for players to report things in the future. Partisanship really needs to be put to one side for cases like this.

Oh fuck off. That's about as sympathetic a judgement as he could ever get, you whopper.

Oh fuck off. That's about as sympathetic a judgement as he could ever get, you whopper.

Hiding behind legality? Don't recall you doing the same in the Suarez case.

In the court of dickhead public opinion, Holgate is a false accuser and black players will think twice about reporting stuff in the future.

What? They've sat Holgate on their knee, ruffled his fucking hair, and told him that it's perfectly ok to mishear something and report it, and there is no need to apologise for getting it wrong even in the face of overwhelming evidence that you did.

How is that going to put anyone off?

• Upvote 1

What? They've sat Holgate on their knee, ruffled his fucking hair, and told him that it's perfectly ok to mishear something and report it, and there is no need to apologise for getting it wrong even in the face of overwhelming evidence that you did.

How is that going to put anyone off?

Do you even social media?

I would take the point that it'd be almost impossible for the FA to prove Holgate lied to distract from what he'd just done.

But there has to be some sort of process or system to stop players throwing out false accusations.

If this was a workplace incident and someone threw out a false racism accusation, whether misheard or not, I'm not sure they'd get off so easily.

i bet you they fucking would

Feel sorry for Holgate. This is going to make it harder for players to report things in the future. 

So you'd have rather Firmino was convicted of a racist comment - even though he doesn't appear to have made one - so that people in future aren't dissuaded from reporting alleged racism

A kind of sacrificial lamb if you will.

4 players and a referee who all didnt hear Racist words used. Im sorry you can just go round sullying peoples name forever on what you might have heard.

If you think you heard something racist, then of course you have a duty to report it and the FA have a duty to investigate it.

There has to be strong evidence that the person reporting the abuse lied (as with Evra at Chelsea) before you punish them, otherwise you'll just discourage reporting and sweep racism under the carpet.

There is no evidence that Holgate lied. It's perfectly plausible that he misheard and there's no reason not to give him the benefit of the doubt.

• Downvote 1

Well considering suarez'name was tarnished through the FA's 'balance of probabilities' I would say on that balance, that considering nobody else heard anything then he was making it up to avoid a red card and he did act maliciously.

I say, on balance, that's bollocks.

I'm not even sure I credit Holgate with the intelligence to be that devious.

What's Holgate to do?  He thought he heard a racist comment so he reported it.

What's Bobby to do?  He didn't make a racist comment, but got accused of it.

I don't think Holgate made it up as his reaction was so spontaneous and seemed genuine.  I don't think Firmino made a racist comment as it would have been quite easy in that situation to prove it if he did.

I don't feel sorry for Holgate.  It was an unfortunate mistake.  I don't think Holgate's a great bloke based on his actions in pushing a fellow professional the way he did.  It was the behaviour of a snide.  I feel no sympathy for him.

I hope people don't abuse him.  He thought it was said.  He was mistaken.

I don't like the FA's fudged statement.  I suppose it is couched in legal language to say the evidence was "not sufficient" and Holgate acted in "absolute good faith".  (I am not sure the word "absolute" had to be used, like).

Semantics, I know but that statement from the FA could have been more unequivocal.

"No case to answer" for example. 

I suppose they do have to consider the bigger picture, but after that equivocal statement the frothing Blues won't let it rest, I am sure.

The massive weirdos.

• Upvote 4

The FA interviewed 12 players according to reports. That must include some Everton players and the referee who was closest to the incident. In fact if he was any closer he would have been wearing a red or blue shirt. Despite that and employing expert lip readers and having 3 or is it 4 independent reviewers look into this for 6 weeks the best the FA can say is there is insufficient evedence to charge Bobby. Well blow me. What a ringing endorsement of fair play. All that evidence and consideration and they say insufficient. In other words he may have said something but we cannot find the evedence. Really. If I were Bobby I would be extremely pissed off at that. But I guess he has been told by the club to accept it keep his head down make a non commital release and move on. Utter twats. And they let that twat Holgate off for his shove. That lad had better watch his step around Liverpool.

You do realise that the investigation was to see if there was a case to answer as opposed to whether or not he was guilty....the question of guilt would only be asked and judged once a charge was brought.

So all the FA could do is as they have done say there is not enough evidence to bring a charge.

And god knows what you are trying to say with that last comment...what you gonna do hit him with your pension book?