You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Firmino Racism Allegations

aRdja

Well Firmino is being let of the leash by Liverpool with the Echo reporting his comments about Coutinho leaving - I wonder if this is a clue as to what the outcome is? 

Surely if there was a possibility that he was being charged he would be told to shut up and no interviews would be allowed? 

Or am I reading too much into that? 

Well Firmino is being let of the leash by Liverpool with the Echo reporting his comments about Coutinho leaving - I wonder if this is a clue as to what the outcome is? 

Surely if there was a possibility that he was being charged he would be told to shut up and no interviews would be allowed? 

Should be ok as long as he doesn't say something like " don't know why Phil went to those Paella eating Catalan cunts "

"Livepool no longer the same without you". I read it as a transfer request.

There is a difference between mishearing something in a crowd of 50k in a heated environment and a blatant false allegation. My gut instinct was the player reacted to what he thought was said. He made the ref aware which seems to be the protocol.

I then thought a person of colour from England would see Firmino as a black man so it seemed odd he would fabricate anything race related or even come to that conclusion. I suppose if you view it from the angle of footballers cheating constantly to gain an advantage then it becomes easier to hold the view it is a fabrication. I think that is what most on here are arguing but seems strange. As there is not exactly an epidemic of players making up racism claims to avoid bookings or sendingoffs.

I totally agree making an allegation of racism is a serious matter and it can have severe consequences on an innocent party. But what is the person who thinks they have been abused supposed to do. Conduct interviews with all parties around them to collate evidence before contacting the ref.

• Upvote 1

He doesn’t score enough goals and he isn’t flash enough (I’m not talking about his dress sense) for any of the clubs bigger than us to want him. He’s worth as much as Coutinho is to this team in my opinion but I very much doubt Barca or anyone else would pay 140m to prise him away.

• Upvote 2

Oldham.

Tom Adeyemi.

Lest we forget, the reaction of the Daily Mail was to hang, draw and quarter the whole of Liverpool - the club, the players, the people.

And, the piece de resistance came from that old ham Patrick Collins:

The insult seemed to strike Tom Adeyemi with the force of a sniper's bullet. He froze, then strode back to the byline from where the jibe had come; an isolated figure staring into a sea of hostile faces. He made a brief, helpless gesture, then he turned away again, the tears spilling down his face.  And in those deeply disturbing moments, the ugliness of racism confronted the people who control Liverpool Football Club.

Always worth a re-read that.

There was also another article which tenuously linked the "racist abuse" to the Stephen Lawrence case - to big themselves up (and deny their own racist position).

There was yet another article that just used Twitter users' comments to say what the Daily Mail wanted to say, along the lines of "they're all racists up there" / "scum fans" etc etc.

Quality stuff.

(The number of articles covering the FACTS of the case were, of course, not quite as numerous.  And I was really looking forward to Collins' cod-prose musings on the outcome...)

• Upvote 1

Unrelated to the racism allegations, but I love these "he was 15 when he tweeted those awful things, that's just what 15 year old's do" defense for the homophobic tweets. Facebook and Twitter were around when I was 15 and I never even came close to posting slurs. I don't know anyone else who has either. This isn't such a common thing. He's just a dick.

• Upvote 1

Unrelated to the racism allegations, but I love these "he was 15 when he tweeted those awful things, that's just what 15 year old's do" defense for the homophobic tweets. Facebook and Twitter were around when I was 15 and I never even came close to posting slurs. I don't know anyone else who has either. This isn't such a common thing. He's just a dick.

15 year olds call each other names, it’s immaturity and is not deserving of some sort of ban years later IMO. He is a knob though

15 year olds call each other names, it’s immaturity and is not deserving of some sort of ban years later IMO. He is a knob though

Didn't say it deserves a ban. But citing his age is a bad defense, and it's insulting to the majority of teenagers who are smart enough not to post stuff like this. It's not like he was 8 years old playing with his dad's Ipad, you know what you're doing at 15. 

You are so young then. Probably too young to be around this forum 10 to 15 years ago, when it was much, much more homophobic and sexist than today. Sensitivities and boundaries change over time. What is unacceptable now may be just poor taste 5 or 10 years ago.

The 15 thing is coming from the Ev fans. The tweets I’ve seen are dated June and July 2013 when he was 16. If he’s done them then I’m guessing there are probably others which are when he was younger. When they use those instead it is for no other reason than to try and change the narrative. Proven further that there are some saying he was 12/13/14 etc.

Either way he’s a kid and I think if you never called your mates a “fag” at that age you’re a better man than me or lying. It’s not right like and it’s societies problem. It’s not going to be solved by banning Holgate and like most lads I doubt he has the same level of homophobia he did when he was that age.

The FA are stuck though. By banning him it will set an example that this isn’t acceptable whatever age you are which is right of course. If you’re a young lad dishing out homophobic abuse whether it’s banter or not to your mates you can be held accountable for it.

Guest Pistonbroke

A lot of them on GOT are tying themselves in knots after Moshiri's comments. 

Firminho is a fucking racist bell end despite no evidence thus far, just basing his guilt on Holgate's reaction. 

Moshiri's comments are not racist, It's just the PC World gone mad, hijacked by Snowflakes claiming everything is racist. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Comments that possibly/probably were never made against comments that were definately made and recorded and probably laughed at and applauded knowing them.

Their world is one I'd never like to inhabit. But we all have to occasionally.

It's just plain stupidity Mike. I guarantee that quite a few of those calling Bobby out for being a racist are fucking racist themselves. They just want to see him get a ban because he plays for us. Reading the shite they are spouting about Moshiri's comments would be pure comedy gold if it wasn't for the serious nature of it all.