You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Firmino Racism Allegations

aRdja

Bobby's statement

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/291627-statement-from-roberto-firmino

"As difficult as it has been to remain publicly silent, given the serious and damaging nature of what it was claimed I said during the game, I did so to demonstrate my respect for the process and to allow the issue to be investigated in the most thorough way.

"It is critical for football that tackling racism and all forms of discrimination is taken extremely seriously. As someone who has experienced racist abuse during my life, I know how damaging and hurtful it can be.

"Now the process is concluded, I would like to place on record, for the avoidance of any doubt, I did not say the word, or a variation of the word, that was claimed and subsequently reported in the media. I did not use any language that referenced race. I did not - and would never - reference a person’s skin colour or culture, by means of insult, during a dispute or an argument.

"There is no place for discrimination on a football pitch, or anywhere else in life for that matter.

"I am pleased after exhaustive reviews of all the evidence, in this specific incident, the matter is resolved."

• Upvote 1

And from the club.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/291628-statement-from-liverpool-fc

“We thank Roberto for the manner in which he has conducted himself during this difficult process, acknowledging that being subjected to such a serious allegation for this length of time has been hurtful to him and his family.

“Both the club and player were in full agreement from the beginning that if an investigation was required it should be a thorough and robust one.

“Roberto has co-operated fully with the process and shown a willingness to engage and assist throughout, with the only objective being to discover the truth of what happened.

“We are satisfied that the outcome of the process has exonerated the player of using any racist or discriminatory language.”

• Upvote 1

Got off on a technicality apparently.  The technicality of no evidence.  12 players and officials interviewed, none of which heard anything - but they are still convinced.

One of the brighter sparks has called for a DPA request to access the "unseen footage".  Not the Freedom of Information Act (which also wouldn't apply, mind), the Data Protection Act...

There seems to be a feeling on there that the FA left it open ended and that Firmino hasn't been exonerated. Some of them seemingly can't see (or perhaps don't want to see) that the statement is carefully worded to be sympathetic to Holgate because they think he's misheard at best but they don't want to discourage reporting of such incidents on the future. 

The fume is funny because if anything, the FA statement is covering Holgate's ass. Basically there is zero proof of wrongdoing but we'll just assume that the accuser wasn't malicious in his allegations. Which is probably fair to assume in the end, but still. 

They should be thanking their lucky stars, the deluded idiots. 

Any apology from Holgate or Everton yet?

I don't think we need one, unless it's for the cowardly shove into the stand.  The kid clearly couldn't cope with the adrenaline of the occasion, should've been sent off before any of this shite kicked off.  It's done, come 7th April Bobby can brace himself for the boos knowing that his name has been cleared.  Time to move on.

The fume is funny because if anything, the FA statement is covering Holgate's ass. Basically there is zero proof of wrongdoing but we'll just assume that the accuser wasn't malicious in his allegations. Which is probably fair to assume in the end, but still. 

They should be thanking their lucky stars, the deluded idiots. 

That's exactly what I've said above - it's pretty much the complete opposite of what they think. I shouldn't be surprised at the levels of mongery on GOT, but I never fail to be exasperated by seeing so many people talking such absolute shite. 

I don't think we need one, unless it's for the cowardly shove into the stand.  The kid clearly couldn't cope with the adrenaline of the occasion, should've been sent off before any of this shite kicked off.  It's done, come 7th April Bobby can brace himself for the boos knowing that his name has been cleared.  Time to move on.

He shouldnt have to  move on with a cloud hanging over him. The FA should be coming down on Holgate hard for making unsubstantiated claims.

• Upvote 1

That's exactly what I've said above - it's pretty much the complete opposite of what they think. I shouldn't be surprised at the levels of mongery on GOT, but I never fail to be exasperated by seeing so many people talking such absolute shite.

Everton are a ‘venerated world famous institution’ apparently
  • Upvote 1

And their proof that Holgate acted maliciously?

Well considering suarez'name was tarnished through the FA's 'balance of probabilities' I would say on that balance, that considering nobody else heard anything then he was making it up to avoid a red card and he did act maliciously.

• Upvote 2

I’m not someone that reads GOT but I’ve popped over purely because I did so earlier today before the announcements to see what the concerns us was over the time it was taking.

If I hadn’t looked in then I doubt I would have now, but there are practically 3 or 4 people talking sense and the rest seem to be in make believe.

One of those more rational ones still had the following line...

I'm biased so I believe Mason. I've tried to park that bias to one side and I still come to the conclusion that Firminio made a racial comment.

4 players and a referee who all didnt hear Racist words used.  Im sorry you can just go round sullying peoples name forever on what you might have heard.

The FA interviewed 12 players according to reports. That must include some Everton players and the referee who was closest to the incident. In fact if he was any closer he would have been wearing a red or blue shirt. Despite that and employing expert lip readers and having 3 or is it 4 independent reviewers look into this for 6 weeks the best the FA can say is there is insufficient evedence to charge Bobby. Well blow me. What a ringing endorsement of fair play. All that evidence and consideration and they say insufficient. In other words he may have said something but we cannot find the evedence. Really. If I were Bobby I would be extremely pissed off at that. But I guess he has been told by the club to accept it keep his head down make a non commital release and move on. Utter twats. And they let that twat Holgate off for his shove. That lad had better watch his step around Liverpool.

Proper fudged up decision so as not to damage the "No to Racism" campaign, which Holgate has mostly definetly done.

The club and Bobby should be taking legal action.

No they shouldn't . Move on and win more football matches not yesterday argument that no one outside Liverpool gives a shit about.

• Upvote 1

The FA interviewed 12 players according to reports. That must include some Everton players and the referee who was closest to the incident. In fact if he was any closer he would have been wearing a red or blue shirt. Despite that and employing expert lip readers and having 3 or is it 4 independent reviewers look into this for 6 weeks the best the FA can say is there is insufficient evedence to charge Bobby. Well blow me. What a ringing endorsement of fair play. All that evidence and consideration and they say insufficient. In other words he may have said something but we cannot find the evedence. Really. If I were Bobby I would be extremely pissed off at that. But I guess he has been told by the club to accept it keep his head down make a non commital release and move on. Utter twats. And they let that twat Holgate off for his shove. That lad had better watch his step around Liverpool.

It's somewhat ironic that the incident that sparked the verbals has clear-cut evidence of wrongdoing, but because of politics we all have to pretend it never happened. 

• Upvote 1

Feel sorry in what way ? Holgate made a complaint , it was investigated thoroughly & no evidence backing up his claim was found ( even from his mates ). He has not been criticised

( The opposite in fact on the FA's pronouncement ) for making the allegation so why would it affect any other people coming forward in future.

Are you suggesting that any claim of racist / homohobic language should be automatically a guilty verdict without any evidence ?

Does anybody know the approach/test/criteria which the FA adopt when deciding whether to charge a player (or not)?

By that, for example, the CPS charging test is that they will only bring a charge if:

- there's a realistic prospect of a successful conviction; and

- it's in the public interest to bring such charges.

Does the FA have a similar test? I couldn't find anything on Google.

If there is such a test, when you also factor in that the standard of proof in FA hearings is much lower than a criminal trial (balance of probabilities vs beyond reasonable doubt), then there must have been next to no evidence whatsoever if the FA believed that there wasn't a "realistic prospect of conviction" for a charge that needed to be proven on "a balance of probabilities." (If the FA uses such a test/terminology?)