You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Firmino Racism Allegations

aRdja

I reckon the decision was made four weeks ago that there was no case to answer. They've just spent the last four weeks trying to decide how best to announce it to minimise the chance of their offices and coach being firebombed by disgruntled Bloos.

Rodriguez has been charged, in comparison that has been sorted out quickly.

Seeing as it happened before the cup game is there any chance his goals can be chalked off for being a dirty racist (allegedly ).....

Hey I'm desperate to see us win a trophy again.

Jay Rodriguez: West Brom striker 'in disbelief' at Gaetan Bong racist abuse charge

19 minutes agoFrom the sectionWest Brom

Sharethis page

Rodriguez has made 25 appearances for Albion this season, scoring four goals

West Brom striker Jay Rodriguez says he is "in disbelief" after being charged with alleged racial abuse of Brighton defender Gaetan Bong.

Cameroon international Bong claimed the incident took place during West Brom's 2-0 win at The Hawthorns on 13 January.

Rodriguez pinched his nose after they clashed, before Bong told the referee.

West Brom say they will "fully support" the England international, who has until 16 February to respond to the Football Association.

"Absolutely gutted and in disbelief at the situation I find myself in," Rodriguez tweeted. "I 100% deny the false allegation and will take the correct legal advice to prove my innocence."

An FA statement said it was alleged Rodriguez "used abusive and/or insulting words which included a reference to ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race".

Referee Martin Atkinson included the incident in his match report to the FA.

Atkinson did not take any action on the pitch but made a note of the incident and consulted fourth official Tony Harrington

So a incident a week later has been investigated but not Firmino's

Not read much about this but since when is holding your nose and saying someone stinks racial abuse

Assuming thats all that happend

The Rodriguez incident seemed fairly innocuous. I'm obviously not a professional lip reader, but he didn't appear to say anything. If he's been charged purely based on his smelly breath gesture, then that's a bit dodgy and you fully understand why Rodriguez isn't just accepting it.

This has made me a bit nervous about Firmino now.

It's been decided he's not a racist. No way it takes this long to find out.

The FA : "Roberto, one stands charged with being slightly racist. What say you?"

Roberto : "By jove, old chap. I haven't the foggiest idea why you might come to such an absurd conclusion such as this! If answer I must, I would have to answer sir in the negative."

The FA : "Does this mean that one believes themselves to be not a racist?"

Roberto : "Bingo!"

I have to say, I've never heard "black people stink" as a racist trope. Rodriguez might have a defence that he was insulting Bong by saying (maybe truthfully?) that his breath stinks, without any clue that some people would interpret that as racist.

If he said " black people stink " he should get the book thrown at him, if he said your breath stinks he needs a new comedy writer. Judging by the fact he hid his mouth I suspect it was the former.