You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Firmino Racism Allegations

aRdja

Jay Rodriguez: FA set to review Gaetan Bong allegation against West Brom striker

Gaetan Bong joined Brighton on a free transfer in June 2015

An allegation made by Brighton defender Gaetan Bong about "something said" by West Brom's Jay Rodriguez is set to be reviewed by the Football Association.

Bong made the claim after an incident involving striker Rodriguez during West Brom's 2-0 home win on Saturday.

Rodriguez pinched his nose after they clashed, before Cameroon international Bong alerted the officials.

Brighton boss Chris Hughton said the allegation will be included in referee Martin Atkinson's report to the FA.

Gaeten Bong tweeted after the game: "Some words should not be said on a football field and specially not by players. Rodriguez words are unforgivable for the man I am."

Atkinson did not take any action on the pitch, but made a note of the incident and consulted fourth official Tony Harrington.

Both Hughton and West Brom counterpart Alan Pardew spoke at length to Atkinson after the match, but would not state the exact nature of the allegation.

"There was something said to Gaeten Bong by Jay Rodriguez which has been reported to the referee," Hughton said.

"There was an allegation and something which will then go through the correct channels.

"I have spoken to the referee and that will go in his report to the FA."

Pardew said: "I know Jay well, and I'll be surprised if it is anything."

An FA spokesperson said the governing body is awaiting the submission of Atkinson's report.

See a lot of people on Twitter are staying that saying his breath smelt is a known racist accusation? I've never heard of it myself but I'm a white, cis, heterosexual male so I'm not an expert on discrimination frankly.

It's primarily a well-known insult against people with stinky breath.
  • Upvote 2

I find the shunning of 'coloured people' but mainstream use of 'people of colour' confusing.

'Coloured' was once considered a polite term for 'black people' but in my view it could be applied to non white people. Racism is not just confined to black people unfortunately,but encompasses pretty much everybody who isn't white. I think 'coloured' and 'people of colour' sound like pretty much the same thing and I'd go so far as to say that coloured sounds less patronising.