Quantcast
Coutinho’s replacement... - Page 9 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
aRdja

Coutinho’s replacement...

I like the look of Lemar. I wasn’t completely sold as he’s not the same as Coutinho, but then who is? Lemar is faster and stronger, can play wide and also through the middle. He needs more guile but that will hopefully come. He’s also young enough to improve.

The closest we have to Coutinho in the Prem, who might be attainable, would be Sanchez or Ozil. A hybrid of those players gives us what Coutinho does - vision, skill, shooting and goals from nothing. Ozil has the vision and skill, Sanchez is a bit more explosive and can score goals from nothing. I’d take either of them on a Bosman, but they will probably have their pick of clubs if they get to that stage.

Arguably neither has the hunger we require. There’s a sense that they’ve seen it all before. Obviously they are looking for a massive payday if their contracts wind down to zero, but are they still hungry to win things and give their all on the pitch? The quality is there but I’m not sure about the hunger.

Fortunately Jurgen seems to have a keen sense in sifting through this sort of thing.

I think Lemar is the one we need. Him, Keita and VVD move the team forward, even if Coutinho leaves.

That could work... he’s fucking faster than light and with decent end product.

Really? I've only watched him in the CL but he seemed to be to be a high-risk/high-reward type player as a purchase and his end product was the number one thing I would have said was lacking.

There are some players that you know they may never be a huge superstar they'll be at least a 6/10 as a buy. And there are some where you think "this could be a huge bust but if it comes off he'll be a star." Gelson Martin strikes me very much as the latter. One of the best dribblers you'll ever see, but for now at least most of the dribbles go absolutely nowhere or if he does wriggle into a good position usually it's right by the byline and his only option is to put in a low-percentage cross and hope for the best.

But if he ever did put it together - his dribbling ability and lightning pace could be the foundation for a truly great player a la Arjen Robben or something. Just not sure what the odds are on that happening.

What do we make of all the rumours about Mahrez? Where have they come from and is there any chance there's anything to it?

That would make a lot of sense to me, especially if Monaco won't sell Lemar until the summer. Can't think of many players who are available in January who could fill in Phil's role, but he'd be one of the poor-man's-Coutinhos I would think. And he could then be a really good squad player for 2-3 years.

Would depend on the price, obviously. But if we think he's available for £40m or so, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the deal. The owners will be raked over the coals for it, of course, because many won't believe that Lemar (or someone of that price tag/quality) is coming in the summer but I could see the wisdom of it.

Really? I've only watched him in the CL but he seemed to be to be a high-risk/high-reward type player as a purchase and his end product was the number one thing I would have said was lacking.

There are some players that you know they may never be a huge superstar they'll be at least a 6/10 as a buy. And there are some where you think "this could be a huge bust but if it comes off he'll be a star." Gelson Martin strikes me very much as the latter. One of the best dribblers you'll ever see, but for now at least most of the dribbles go absolutely nowhere or if he does wriggle into a good position usually it's right by the byline and his only option is to put in a low-percentage cross and hope for the best.

But if he ever did put it together - his dribbling ability and lightning pace could be the foundation for a truly great player a la Arjen Robben or something. Just not sure what the odds are on that happening.

Yeah, decent but not great. It’s not the best barometer, of course, but he gets his fair share of goals and assists in the Portuguese league and looks ace playing for Portugal. In the right team, with the right manager, I’m pretty confident that he could improve his output.

As you say, not a guaranteed success but he’s got all the raw tools to induce excitement when you think of the players (and gaffer) he’ll get to link up with here.

Wouldn’t be my first choice, mind.

What do we make of all the rumours about Mahrez? Where have they come from and is there any chance there's anything to it?

That would make a lot of sense to me, especially if Monaco won't sell Lemar until the summer. Can't think of many players who are available in January who could fill in Phil's role, but he'd be one of the poor-man's-Coutinhos I would think. And he could then be a really good squad player for 2-3 years.

Would depend on the price, obviously. But if we think he's available for £40m or so, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the deal. The owners will be raked over the coals for it, of course, because many won't believe that Lemar (or someone of that price tag/quality) is coming in the summer but I could see the wisdom of it.

Don't want Mahrez at all. He's a conventional right midfielder in a 442. We haven't played with a formation that fits someone like that since Kenny. He's not someone that has a great eye for a pass either. 

Gelson Martins is absolutely electric but he isn't a forward, he's an old school right mid who mostly stays wide and runs at the fullback. 

It's a bit like Fekir. Great players but I don't know how we would use them. 

I'd take Mahrez if the price isn't too crazy. He could easily play in a front three and he'd be devastating in our counter-attacks. He's also not cup tied. 

That said, I don't think Mahrez is an adequate Coutinho replacement. We need someone who can be quality in the middle for that. 

Don't want Mahrez at all. He's a conventional right midfielder in a 442. 

Gelson Martins is absolutely electric but he isn't a forward, he's an old school right mid who mostly stays wide and runs at the fullback. 

I'd take Mahrez if the price isn't too crazy. He could easily play in a front three and he'd be devastating in our counter-attacks. He's also not cup tied. 

Heh.

I think Mahrez would be a good addition. At worst he'd be a great rotation or bench option and I expect Klopp could sort out his work rate. I don't really see him as Coutinho's replacement though.

• Upvote 1

We're utterly fucked without him.

Depends of he's replaced or not. One things for sure, the midfield isnt good enough and we'll struggle with mo or mane out.

Need two signings to adequately replace what he's brought.

We're utterly fucked without him.

We need someone who can open up "park the bus" type of teams. I wanted Lallana to fill in this role but he went missing today and was too predictable at times.

Also I fear for Firminio as he was really benefiting from Countinho style of play.

Lemar.

I don’t want us to rationalize lesser players in a sort of “can do a job” way. We’re losing an elite player so we need someone of that calibre to come in, or someone who is approaching that and has every chance of getting there.

If we are short in the meantime while we wait for that player to be available, DON’T SELL COUTINHO!

Let’s box off the deal now in readiness for a summer move, so he knows he’s going, and then let’s finish the season. We could yet do something special in the CL.

• Upvote 1

I’d be happy enough with Mahrez, because he can play in the champions league, on the proviso that we get someone like Lemar in the summer