You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coutinho’s replacement...

aRdja

Ousmane Dembele is a good player. However, they paid £100m for him, which is ridiculously overpriced.

And as for them "trying as hard as they could," isn't that what we're doing? Trying as hard as we can to get either Lemar or Keita early? And when we don't succeed, will you say "well, at least we tried as hard as we could" like Barca did?

I honestly can't believe how knee-jerk our fanbase has become. Remember how our owners pushed hard for the Andy Carroll move when they had the Torres money in hand and knew how bad the PR would be if they didn't spend it? That worked out really well, no?

The only person to blame here is Phil. He wanted out so badly that Klopp, who must know of the risk this is to our CL qualification and even CL campaign, said it was better for him to leave now than to wait until the summer. He wanted out so badly that he paid a reported £12m of HIS OWN MONEY back to Liverpool to help us agree a fee. He must have been absolutely toxic in the dressing room, otherwise there's no way I can see Klopp sanctioning this move.

So yeah, we're in a bad situation. But it's not the owners' fault - they're just letting Klopp call the shots when it comes to foolball issues rather than forcing him to keep a player he doesn't want so their image looks better to the fans. It's not really Klopp's fault if he thinks we're better off without a disruptive presence in the dressing room, even if he is one of our best players. And it's not Monaco's or Leipzig's fault for not wanting to sell their best players in January, regardless of the price.

It's a bad situation that's come about because Barca are a club of entitled wankers who used their "magical" allure to cause one of our best players, a player who we had rescued at the nadir of his career, to act so reprehensibly that our manager wants shut of him at the possible cost of CL qualification.

It sucks, but instead of begging for a knee-jerk reaction, I'm happy for the club to take a step back. In the end, long-term, this can be a good thing. That amount of money should allow us to buy a top goalkeeper, a top DM and a top replacement for Coutinho. It really should.

But that will never happen if we rush over to Monaco and say "please bend us over and have at us, because we need to make a statement for the fans who are upset."

All I'll say is, if FSG aren't paying you a salary, they should be.

• Upvote 2

Can somebody point me in the direction of the posts writing the whole season off? Because I haven't seen any personally, just varying degrees of concern that we may leave ourselves short if we have to cover injuries, especially in a tight race for the top four.

• Upvote 2

Can somebody point me in the direction of the posts writing the whole season off? Because I haven't seen any personally, just varying degrees of concern that we may leave ourselves short if we have to cover injuries, especially in a tight race for the top four.

That would be my concern with us not bringing somebody in this window.

We're in a great position in Europe with a winnable tie against Porto, we're into the next round of the FA Cup and we're motoring along nicely in the Sky Sports Race for Fourth. We haven't had a January with this much potential in a long time.

An injury or injuries to Salah, Mane, Firmino and now Lallana leaves us needing to change a winning and at times devastating formation or else use players woefully unsuited to certain roles. Even still, there's no guarantee that any combination of the above players will click quite as well without Coutinho.

Football isn't rocket science. You sign good players you end up with a good team. When Spurs signed Aurier in the summer it was obvious it'd be a success because he was one of the best right backs in the world at PSG, and low and behold it has been a success. Coutinho is around the same level as Insigne, Dybala, Mertens, Fekir and Keita.

Any of them would be a success here and plug the hole he's left. They might not have the striking attributes from range but they'll have other attributes that'll strengthen the team in a different way. At the very least bring Keita in early. 

Still a long way to go in the window, but the rumblings of potentially waiting until the summer are ominous. I honestly thought we'd have something all lined up, bar the formalities, if we were to let one of our best players leave halfway through the season. There really was no logical reason to sell otherwise.

Monaco boss Leonardo Jardim in today's press conference: "We do not typically sell players in the winter transfer window. But the month is long and many things could happen."

With that opening the bullshitting itk accounts will be cracking open the bubbly it's defo time to make shit up. If there aren't at least three of the usual suspect accounts claiming the path to a deal standards be slipping.

With that opening the bullshitting itk accounts will be cracking open the bubbly it's defo time to make shit up. If there aren't at least three of the usual suspect accounts claiming the path to a deal standards be slipping.

Time to change avatar to Lemar lads! It’s happening

I know it’s never gonna happen, and basically I would like to maintain the non-transfer tradition between the two clubs.

But if shitcoat would be willing to let him go, what about Mkhitaryan?

I’m normally all against buying players on their way down, but if he can get away from those negative tactics and that negative manager I’m not so sure he’ll be on his way down for a few years yet.

I know it’s never gonna happen, and basically I would like to maintain the non-transfer tradition between the two clubs.

But if shitcoat would be willing to let him go, what about Mkhitaryan?

I’m normally all against buying players on their way down, but if he can get away from those negative tactics and that negative manager I’m not so sure he’ll be on his way down for a few years yet.

I don't think he's a fan of Klopp. Add to that any Manchester United manager actually selling a player to Liverpool FC, much less Mourinho and it'd be all but impossible to get done.

Sound in theory though!