You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coutinho’s replacement...

aRdja

You don't sell your best players mid-season. It's fucking ridiculously simple. A deal for Coutinho to go in the summer would have been fine but FSG bent over, took it up the arse and gleefully accepted their money.

Utterly incompetent as we won't be replacing him.

I think the owners couldn't stand for £75m being left outstanding. They couldn't even wait until the summer to recoup their money. 

• Upvote 1

Surely there's somebody coming in? I mean come on, they're not actually that stupid, repeating what every one said above. Surely there's a deal agreed for somebody because we've effectively massively handicapped ourselves at the most key juncture of Klopp's regime here. 

Mahrez faint possibility but can't see them paying over the top for him so it will be nobody until the summer 

It is so utterly incompetent and negligent that I just could not bring myself to believe that we sold him without having something else sorted. 

As soon as we agreed to the sale I though 'Ah, guess that means we've sorted a replacement then'...

But every noise coming out of the club since then is that we haven't and we're content not to. It's beyond stupidity, it's just totally unfathomable.

It's not incompetent if you've no ambition. Cynical maybe but not incompetent.

What I find odd is the supposed approaches made for Thomas Lemar in August.  What's happened to our interest in him?  We lodge these bids with Monaco, then when we actually need him there's talk of waiting until summer and Klopp is happy with what he's got.

It needs either an explanation or we go back in for him NOW. 

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11198933/liverpool-will-not-make-january-move-for-thomas-lemar

Liverpool will not make January move for Thomas Lemar
By Sky Sports News

Last Updated: 07/01/18 4:09pm

The deal makes absolutely no fucking sense to me unless we have one or even two lined up to come in this month (this week preferably).

Are we really that stupid to think we don’t need a replacement(s)?

The word is 'Greedy' not stupid.

• Upvote 1

What I find odd is the supposed approaches made for Thomas Lemar in August.  What's happened to our interest in him?  We lodge these bids with Monaco, then when we actually need him there's talk of waiting until summer and Klopp is happy with what he's got.

It needs either an explanation or we go back in for him NOW. 

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11198933/liverpool-will-not-make-january-move-for-thomas-lemar

Liverpool will not make January move for Thomas Lemar
By Sky Sports News

Last Updated: 07/01/18 4:09pm

Leonardo Jardim has said he doesn't want anyone to go in the middle of the season. And Lemar isn't currently rocking the boat and pushing for an exit either. 

Leonardo Jardim has said he doesn't want anyone to go in the middle of the season. And Lemar isn't currently rocking the boat and pushing for an exit either. 

Tempt them with a mega-offer, what's the worst that can happen?  Otherwise it looks like our interest wasn't genuine.

We went back for VvD, why not Lemar?  We have the money.

Guest Alex_K

Cunning fuckers -- getting the VVD deal done early, to soften the blow of Coutinho going. The prospect of the Coutinho money already having been spent is entirely fathomable.

Is it really a surprise the noises coming out now. Every window they leave us short but buy just enough to convince some that they are here to 'win'.

The only way selling Coutihno in January when we've still got everything to play for made sense is if we were going to strengthen the team with the funds. As it stands were weaker.

• Upvote 2

Even at 35m he's a bargain. Doubt he'd come to us even if we bid. Turned us down a few years ago and we can't guarantee him a massive pay increase or winning things. Think only if Man City pull out of a deal he would consider us but would probably want to go to Real Madrid or Juventus free in the summer.

You don't sell your best players mid-season. It's fucking ridiculously simple. A deal for Coutinho to go in the summer would have been fine but FSG bent over, took it up the arse and gleefully accepted their money.

Utterly incompetent as we won't be replacing him.

based on nothing at all.  Klopp wanted him out.

Is it really a surprise the noises coming out now. Every window they leave us short but buy just enough to convince some that they are here to 'win'.

The only way selling Coutihno in January when we've still got everything to play for made sense is if we were going to strengthen the team with the funds. As it stands were weaker.

I think we're stronger.

Call me a conspiracy theorist but are we expected to believe that the owners overruled Klopp in the summer and now, despite him having one of his most productive seasons and with a world cup in the summer, they are have changed their minds and given Klopp the final say.

They are an investment company, I cannot believe they are giving anyone but themselves a say in the sale of a 150m asset. That's not a dig in any way. I just don't believe, regardless of what is said in public, that Klopp gets a say in a 150m transaction.

Hasn't he got a £300,000 contract offer on the table at Arsenal? Why would he come here when the clubs are basically the same level?

While i dont think he would come here over City. I do think he would come here over staying at Arsenal. He witnessed first hand how we bumfucked them twice this season. Yes apart from 5 minutes last game.