You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coutinho’s replacement...

aRdja

Reports in France have linked Liverpool with a move for Leicester City’s Riyad Mahrez, but this has been strongly rejected by senior sources at Anfield who say they have no interest in the Algerian international.

From Jason Burt @ Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/06/liverpool-agree-142-million-deal-sell-philippe-coutinho-barcelona/

Guest Pistonbroke

I'd take a top quality goalkeeper over a direct attacking play maker.

But if klopp thinks mahrez is the man, then so be it. I trust the men 100%.

Mahrez is Mingolet's replacement. 

Makes me wonder why Barcelona didn't just go for Mahrez then?

I think they play in different positions to be fair. Buying Mahrez isn’t a replacement for Coutinho in terms of his position, we’re just trying to replace his goals in effect.

I’m wondering if we might be talking to Özil.

He’s a replacement in terms of position, and not only is he German but he’s out of contract in 6 months time.

We would need a new keeper though?

Would the team suffer replacing Mignolet with Karius in the short term? I'm going on the idea that Mignolet has run his course at Anfield, given the number of chances he's had.

On top of that, the big transfers in those I mentioned are done. Move on a few fringe players who are little to no use currently and look at the best XI there:

Karius

Gomez Matip VVD Robertson

Keita AOC Mahrez

Mane Firmino

Long story short, can the Coutinho sale bs made to advantage Liverpool? Possibly.

I'm not disagreeing about the keeper situation btw, but I don't think Karius has been as bad as some who marked his card early in his Anfield career.

Guest Pistonbroke

Would the team suffer replacing Mignolet with Karius in the short term? I'm going on the idea that Mignolet has run his course at Anfield, given the number of chances he's had.

On top of that, the big transfers in those I mentioned are done. Move on a few fringe players who are little to no use currently and look at the best XI there:

Karius

Gomez Matip VVD Robertson

Keita AOC Mahrez

Mane Firmino

Long story short, can the Coutinho sale bs made to advantage Liverpool? Possibly.

I'm not disagreeing about the keeper situation btw, but I don't think Karius has been as bad as some who marked his card early in his Anfield career.

Fuck, when did Salah leave. 

I like Mahrez. Very good player.

As already has been said,Coutinho is not replaceable directly as he would be a candidate for a world eleven,while Mahrez is nowhere near that level.

However,if we brought in Mahrez and a top goalie or centre back to go with vvd,then that's a great spine to hopefully get top 4 and have a few months playing together before next season.

I hate that we've become such a selling club but the reality is that until we become a bona fida champions league club again year on year and start winning trophies again,we will lose players of Phil's level. City and Chelsea seem to keep their top players. If we can become like that in 2-3 years time,then i'd be happy.