You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coutinho’s replacement...

aRdja

Ousmane Dembele is a good player. However, they paid £100m for him, which is ridiculously overpriced.

And as for them "trying as hard as they could," isn't that what we're doing? Trying as hard as we can to get either Lemar or Keita early? And when we don't succeed, will you say "well, at least we tried as hard as we could" like Barca did?

."[/font][/color]

Where's the evidence for this? Thee are no stories that we've bid X for Lemar have offered RB a premium for releasing Keita early. Instead we have the usual media suspects speculating that those are our options all the while journosplaining how impossible it is to pry away a player that the other clubs want to keep.

On the other side of the scale is FSG's well established track record of selling to buy. You caution about Carroll for Torres without considering that it's likely Our new reality is Chamberlain for Coutinho.

Ousmane Dembele is a good player. However, they paid £100m for him, which is ridiculously overpriced.

And as for them "trying as hard as they could," isn't that what we're doing? Trying as hard as we can to get either Lemar or Keita early? And when we don't succeed, will you say "well, at least we tried as hard as we could" like Barca did?

I honestly can't believe how knee-jerk our fanbase has become. Remember how our owners pushed hard for the Andy Carroll move when they had the Torres money in hand and knew how bad the PR would be if they didn't spend it? That worked out really well, no?

The only person to blame here is Phil. He wanted out so badly that Klopp, who must know of the risk this is to our CL qualification and even CL campaign, said it was better for him to leave now than to wait until the summer. He wanted out so badly that he paid a reported £12m of HIS OWN MONEY back to Liverpool to help us agree a fee. He must have been absolutely toxic in the dressing room, otherwise there's no way I can see Klopp sanctioning this move.

So yeah, we're in a bad situation. But it's not the owners' fault - they're just letting Klopp call the shots when it comes to foolball issues rather than forcing him to keep a player he doesn't want so their image looks better to the fans. It's not really Klopp's fault if he thinks we're better off without a disruptive presence in the dressing room, even if he is one of our best players. And it's not Monaco's or Leipzig's fault for not wanting to sell their best players in January, regardless of the price.

It's a bad situation that's come about because Barca are a club of entitled wankers who used their "magical" allure to cause one of our best players, a player who we had rescued at the nadir of his career, to act so reprehensibly that our manager wants shut of him at the possible cost of CL qualification.

It sucks, but instead of begging for a knee-jerk reaction, I'm happy for the club to take a step back. In the end, long-term, this can be a good thing. That amount of money should allow us to buy a top goalkeeper, a top DM and a top replacement for Coutinho. It really should. 

But that will never happen if we rush over to Monaco and say "please bend us over and have at us, because we need to make a statement for the fans who are upset."

Yes Ndidi! Alisson to us all, Lemar the merrier!

I think you are wrong and dont understand. They veto'ed in the summer because the offer for the asset was not high enough. It was about 80 m upfront.

Once it crossed the threshold of acceptance they let El Kloppo make the call.

I think it would have been hard for the club to do a u-turn after their statement on Coutinho so he wasn't going anywhere last summer.

They had a medical team on standby in Monaco for Lemar but Arsenal came in with a big bid which messed that up. So why would they try and get Lemar then, while Coutinho was staying put, but not try and get someone of that calibre in before letting him go mid-season?

I honestly can't believe how knee-jerk our fanbase has become. Remember how our owners pushed hard for the Andy Carroll move when they had the Torres money in hand and knew how bad the PR would be if they didn't spend it? That worked out really well, no?

The only person to blame here is Phil. He wanted out so badly that Klopp, who must know of the risk this is to our CL qualification and even CL campaign, said it was better for him to leave now than to wait until the summer. He wanted out so badly that he paid a reported £12m of HIS OWN MONEY back to Liverpool to help us agree a fee. He must have been absolutely toxic in the dressing room, otherwise there's no way I can see Klopp sanctioning this move.

So yeah, we're in a bad situation. But it's not the owners' fault - they're just letting Klopp call the shots when it comes to foolball issues rather than forcing him to keep a player he doesn't want so their image looks better to the fans. It's not really Klopp's fault if he thinks we're better off without a disruptive presence in the dressing room, even if he is one of our best players. And it's not Monaco's or Leipzig's fault for not wanting to sell their best players in January, regardless of the price.

It's a bad situation that's come about because Barca are a club of entitled wankers who used their "magical" allure to cause one of our best players, a player who we had rescued at the nadir of his career, to act so reprehensibly that our manager wants shut of him at the possible cost of CL qualification.

It sucks, but instead of begging for a knee-jerk reaction, I'm happy for the club to take a step back. In the end, long-term, this can be a good thing. That amount of money should allow us to buy a top goalkeeper, a top DM and a top replacement for Coutinho. It really should. 

But that will never happen if we rush over to Monaco and say "please bend us over and have at us, because we need to make a statement for the fans who are upset."

I really really hope you're right.

But do you honestly see a big improvement in performances from the rest of the squad now Coutinho's gone? Because I think they're pretty much at peak performance right now, maybe apart from Mane.

Guest Pistonbroke

Just turned on SSN and they're outside the hospital in Barcelona where Phil is having his medical - really??

Is Kate Burley there looking sad? 

I've heard it all now. The club bought Carroll for good pr, hahaha I highly doubt an experienced non emotional investor like Henry bought him for good pr. The football people told him he was a sound investment and he applied his bizarre economic model of Torres - 15 million which he is on record stating. I know let's pick our worst ever transfer and use that as the default argument of why we shouldn't improve the squad. The supporters emotions are always used as a stick to manipulate them.

I might be more sympathetic to Klopp being prinicipled if he hadn't just bought Van Dijk and Mane who acted like twats to get away from previous clubs. Klopp was happy to buy Goetze after he fucked over Klopp at Dortmund. He gave Coutinho the armband to try and charm him and allegedly we asked to loan Coutinho back.

There is not much evidence that Coutinho is disruptive if you judge him on his performances this season. Both Carragher and Gerrard are on record in Jan saying they expected Coutinho to stay, both have strong links to the club. I 100% get supporters being pissed of at any player downing tools. But I think our bond is a different bond than players and managers have who 99.9 % see it as a job. So I'm not buying Klopp is as disgusted as the supporters are at a player downing tools. Even if i believe a big part of his style is harmony. The modern day player is accepting of a player moving on. The way people are going on is like Coutinho was threatening to strap a suicide vest on.

I think Klopp is fairly pragmatic. Only a few windows the same people accusing supporters of being kneekjerk were saying Klopp would never spend big on transfers because of his principles and it's the Dortmund way blah blah. The owners wanted to spend but Klopp wouldn't let them. So his principles are not as set in stone as people make out. Or they using the Klopp brand who we all respect to manage the message. The bottom line is it was a business choice to sell Coutinho in January not a football one.

• Upvote 3

I've heard it all now. The club bought Carroll for good pr, hahaha I highly doubt an experienced non emotional investor like Henry bought him for good pr. The football people told him he was a sound investment and he applied his bizarre economic model of Torres - 15 million which he is on record stating. I know let's pick our worst ever transfer and use that as the default argument of why we shouldn't improve the squad. The supporters emotions are always used as a stick to manipulate them.

I might be more sympathetic to Klopp being prinicipled if he hadn't just bought Van Dijk and Mane who acted like twats to get away from previous clubs. Klopp was happy to buy Goetze after he fucked over Klopp at Dortmund. He gave Coutinho the armband to try and charm him and allegedly we asked to loan Coutinho back.

There is not much evidence that Coutinho is disruptive if you judge him on his performances this season. Both Carragher and Gerrard are on record in Jan saying they expected Coutinho to stay, both have strong links to the club. I 100% get supporters being pissed of at any player downing tools. But I think our bond is a different bond than players and managers have who 99.9 % see it as a job. So I'm not buying Klopp is as disgusted as the supporters are at a player downing tools. Even if i believe a big part of his style is harmony. The modern day player is accepting of a player moving on. The way people are going on is like Coutinho was threatening to strap a suicide vest on.

I think Klopp is fairly pragmatic. Only a few windows the same people accusing supporters of being kneekjerk were saying Klopp would never spend big on transfers because of his principles and it's the Dortmund way blah blah. The owners wanted to spend but Klopp wouldn't let them. So his principles are not as set in stone as people make out. Or they using the Klopp brand who we all respect to manage the message. The bottom line is it was a business choice to sell Coutinho in January not a football one.

I don't think you are right.

Coutinho going on strike again was enough for Klopp.

Sky News: Coutinho completes his medical but will be out for 3 weeks with the thigh injury.

If true, puts a different slant on the suggestions he was on strike to get the move this month. Maybe he wasn't as much of a disruptive so and so the journalists and sources would have us believe.

Or perhaps he's been given 3 weeks off to settle in etc, because Barcelona don't really need him at the moment.

In 3 weeks time, they'll need to start freshening people up for CL push.

Bingo, a "recovered" Coutinho makes his La Liga debut.

Didn’t take long.

Just listen to yourself, they've just made the biggest signing in their history with the support of Nike who want him as a poster boy, and they're giving him three weeks off. Yeah right.

(I will repeat though the source is Sky so not exactly reliable)

Didn’t take long.

Just listen to yourself, they've just made the biggest signing in their history with the support of Nike who want him as a poster boy, and they're giving him three weeks off. Yeah right.

(I will repeat though the source is Sky so not exactly reliable)

So this is all about what Nike want.  OK.

Because no kid in Barcelona will buy a Coutinho shirt for 3 weeks and their Mum's and Dad's will be rioting outside the Camp Nou if he doesn't play this weekend.

Anyhow, I'm sure you and Sky are on the money.

I'm just being conspiratorial. I'm sure Coutinho was a model clubman, and his bad back from August at least is much better now.

So this is all about what Nike want. OK.

Because no kid in Barcelona will buy a Coutinho shirt for 3 weeks and their Mum's and Dad's will be rioting outside the Camp Nou if he doesn't play this weekend.

Anyhow, I'm sure you and Sky are right.

No I'm saying it's a massive deal and they'll be desperate to get Coutinho in the squad and on the pitch

He could of course make a "recovery" after a week and hey presto there he is.

I'm not saying I'm right, I even said "if true" when I first mentioned it because I'm not naive. But I'm very surprised at the allowances and naivety towards FSG on here (not directed at you, I don't know your stance on FSG)

No I'm saying it's a massive deal and they'll be desperate to get Coutinho in the squad and on the pitch

He could of course make a "recovery" after a week and hey presto there he is.

I'm not saying I'm right, I even said "if true" when I first mentioned it because I'm not naive. But I'm very surprised at the allowances and naivety towards FSG on here (not directed at you, I don't know your stance on FSG)

And I'm saying they were desperate to buy him, but not necessarily - from their footballing requirements right at this very minute - to get him on the pitch.

Three weeks of training/assimilating/acclimatising and he'll be cherry ripe to take his place in the side just as the CL comes on the horizon again and others need to be kept fresh.

I think that's plausible from a purely footballing viewpoint.  

And by the by, even putting Sky to one side, I wouldn't believe a fucking word Barcelona "officially" said about anything.

I imagine Klopp has plenty of experience with dealing with wantaway players. So

A. He was used to losing his best players to Bayern, so understands it part of the game, there's always a bigger fish, luckily we are on the large side ourselves.

B. He knows what it's like having an unhappy player sulking around the training ground with a titty lip, so keeping him for another 6 months might not have been effective.

I imagine Klopp has plenty of experience with dealing with wantaway players. So

A. He was used to losing his best players to Bayern, so understands it part of the game, there's always a bigger fish, luckily we are on the large side ourselves.

B. He knows what it's like having an unhappy player sulking around the training ground with a titty lip, so keeping him for another 6 months might not have been effective.

Or...

C. A replacement is already as good as signed. It's better to gel in the newcomer without the disruption of a Coutinho who'd leave anyway in the summer.

Possible?

Or...

C. A replacement is already as good as signed. It's better to gel in the newcomer without the disruption of a Coutinho who'd leave anyway in the summer.

Possible?

Definitely possible.

I'm not judging the Coutinho sale til the end of January.

• Upvote 1