You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coutinho’s replacement...

aRdja

That could work... he’s fucking faster than light and with decent end product.

Really? I've only watched him in the CL but he seemed to be to be a high-risk/high-reward type player as a purchase and his end product was the number one thing I would have said was lacking.

There are some players that you know they may never be a huge superstar they'll be at least a 6/10 as a buy. And there are some where you think "this could be a huge bust but if it comes off he'll be a star." Gelson Martin strikes me very much as the latter. One of the best dribblers you'll ever see, but for now at least most of the dribbles go absolutely nowhere or if he does wriggle into a good position usually it's right by the byline and his only option is to put in a low-percentage cross and hope for the best.

But if he ever did put it together - his dribbling ability and lightning pace could be the foundation for a truly great player a la Arjen Robben or something. Just not sure what the odds are on that happening.

What do we make of all the rumours about Mahrez? Where have they come from and is there any chance there's anything to it?

That would make a lot of sense to me, especially if Monaco won't sell Lemar until the summer. Can't think of many players who are available in January who could fill in Phil's role, but he'd be one of the poor-man's-Coutinhos I would think. And he could then be a really good squad player for 2-3 years.

Would depend on the price, obviously. But if we think he's available for £40m or so, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the deal. The owners will be raked over the coals for it, of course, because many won't believe that Lemar (or someone of that price tag/quality) is coming in the summer but I could see the wisdom of it.

Really? I've only watched him in the CL but he seemed to be to be a high-risk/high-reward type player as a purchase and his end product was the number one thing I would have said was lacking.

There are some players that you know they may never be a huge superstar they'll be at least a 6/10 as a buy. And there are some where you think "this could be a huge bust but if it comes off he'll be a star." Gelson Martin strikes me very much as the latter. One of the best dribblers you'll ever see, but for now at least most of the dribbles go absolutely nowhere or if he does wriggle into a good position usually it's right by the byline and his only option is to put in a low-percentage cross and hope for the best.

But if he ever did put it together - his dribbling ability and lightning pace could be the foundation for a truly great player a la Arjen Robben or something. Just not sure what the odds are on that happening.

Yeah, decent but not great. It’s not the best barometer, of course, but he gets his fair share of goals and assists in the Portuguese league and looks ace playing for Portugal. In the right team, with the right manager, I’m pretty confident that he could improve his output.

As you say, not a guaranteed success but he’s got all the raw tools to induce excitement when you think of the players (and gaffer) he’ll get to link up with here.

Wouldn’t be my first choice, mind.

What do we make of all the rumours about Mahrez? Where have they come from and is there any chance there's anything to it?

That would make a lot of sense to me, especially if Monaco won't sell Lemar until the summer. Can't think of many players who are available in January who could fill in Phil's role, but he'd be one of the poor-man's-Coutinhos I would think. And he could then be a really good squad player for 2-3 years.

Would depend on the price, obviously. But if we think he's available for £40m or so, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the deal. The owners will be raked over the coals for it, of course, because many won't believe that Lemar (or someone of that price tag/quality) is coming in the summer but I could see the wisdom of it.

Don't want Mahrez at all. He's a conventional right midfielder in a 442. We haven't played with a formation that fits someone like that since Kenny. He's not someone that has a great eye for a pass either. 

Gelson Martins is absolutely electric but he isn't a forward, he's an old school right mid who mostly stays wide and runs at the fullback. 

It's a bit like Fekir. Great players but I don't know how we would use them. 

I'd take Mahrez if the price isn't too crazy. He could easily play in a front three and he'd be devastating in our counter-attacks. He's also not cup tied. 

That said, I don't think Mahrez is an adequate Coutinho replacement. We need someone who can be quality in the middle for that. 

I wonder if City would accept 10m plus Danny Ings for De Bruyne?

We could give Ings a Coutinho mask and then it would work. Otherwise I can't see it working out.

Don't want Mahrez at all. He's a conventional right midfielder in a 442. 

Gelson Martins is absolutely electric but he isn't a forward, he's an old school right mid who mostly stays wide and runs at the fullback. 

I'd take Mahrez if the price isn't too crazy. He could easily play in a front three and he'd be devastating in our counter-attacks. He's also not cup tied. 

Heh.

Lemar.

I don’t want us to rationalize lesser players in a sort of “can do a job” way. We’re losing an elite player so we need someone of that calibre to come in, or someone who is approaching that and has every chance of getting there.

If we are short in the meantime while we wait for that player to be available, DON’T SELL COUTINHO!

Let’s box off the deal now in readiness for a summer move, so he knows he’s going, and then let’s finish the season. We could yet do something special in the CL.

• Upvote 1

Only reason we'd go for Mahrez is because he wont be cup tied for CL like Lemar would be.  Id be okay with him now provided we spent the rest of the money on a top class CM or a top class goalkeeper this month aswell.  But if we only buy him this month then il be pretty unhappy.