You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coutinho’s replacement...

aRdja

LEMAR FANCIES FILLING COUTINHO’S BOOTS

With Philippe Coutinho looking increasingly likely to be packing his bags for Barcelona sometime between now at next season, Liverpool are being linked with two big names as possible replacements.

The first is Alexis Sanchez. Though that snippet is brought to us by Don Balon, so let’s just park it there and never speak of it again.

The second name, however, seems far more feasible. The Reds want Thomas Lemar and, apparently, he wants them too.

The Mirror claims Liverpool have already made contact with Monaco, as they did last summer when a deal could not be agreed. Should the two clubs find common ground this time, which is more likely with the Reds probably having £130million burning a hole in their pocket, Yahoo quotes sources in France that suggest Lemar is bang up for it.

I really don't understand our transfer committee if Lemar is the choice.

They've been knocking it out of the park with attacking signings, Firmino, then Mane, then Salah, then Keita, and even Oxlade-Chamberlain is starting to look really good. Brilliant everywhere, all for £40m or less (well, a bit more in Keita's case, but that was a buyout clause).

So with Coutinho leaving you have two choices: either pick up another £40-50m-ish player that you think is undervalued (maybe Draxler, or Forsberg, or Ceballos) or really let it rip and go after a huge signing for £80 or 90m (Milinkovic-Savic, or Fekir, who'd be a bit cheaper than that). And, given those choices, you go for Lemar? 

For anything above £50m, that is a big mistake. You're talking about a player who has 2 goals and 4 assists this season. The player who put up this recent performance as one of his best:

Lemar is just not the same player he was when he had Mbappe and Bernardo Silva and Mendy and Bakayoko around him. And sure, I guess you can argue that if we put him back in our team with that level of quality around him again he'll be good, but I just don't see how on earth you choose him over some of the other options out there.

At the price we're about to pay, almost every player on earth is available (maybe 30-40 exceptions, max). It's crazy that we've reportedly decided that he's the one we want to blow such huge money on. He's a good player, sure, but for the kind of money they're talking about we should be after someone who can become a great player.

• Upvote 1

They've been knocking it out of the park with attacking signings, Firmino, then Mane, then Salah, then Keita, and even Oxlade-Chamberlain is starting to look really good. Brilliant everywhere, all for £40m or less (well, a bit more in Keita's case, but that was a buyout clause).

So with Coutinho leaving you have two choices: either pick up another £40-50m-ish player that you think is undervalued (maybe Draxler, or Forsberg, or Ceballos) or really let it rip and go after a huge signing for £80 or 90m (Milinkovic-Savic, or Fekir, who'd be a bit cheaper than that). And, given those choices, you go for Lemar?

For anything above £50m, that is a big mistake. You're talking about a player who has 2 goals and 4 assists this season. The player who put up this recent performance as one of his best:

Lemar is just not the same player he was when he had Mbappe and Bernardo Silva and Mendy and Bakayoko around him. And sure, I guess you can argue that if we put him back in our team with that level of quality around him again he'll be good, but I just don't see how on earth you choose him over some of the other options out there.

At the price we're about to pay, almost every player on earth is available (maybe 30-40 exceptions, max). It's crazy that we've reportedly decided that he's the one we want to blow such huge money on. He's a good player, sure, but for the kind of money they're talking about we should be after someone who can become a great player.

Is VvD a 75 million player? Or is he a 75 million defender for us?

Even if we do sign Lemar for the quoted 90 million, it will be down to Klopp to see if he can turn him into a 90 million player.

• Upvote 1

I disagree, mate. I think he’s the one that Klopp has earmarked for that position because he sees something in him, and going by the reports, he seems to have totally bought into the cult of Klopp and everything we’re trying to do here.

He’s an absolute class player, I’ve wanted us to sign him ever since I first saw him play (similarly to Keïta) and I can’t belive it actually looks like we might get him.

I’m completely happy with the notion that Klopp is getting all of his first choice targets; Virgil, Keïta, Lemar, Mané, Salah etc. This can only be a good thing, in my eyes.

I think Lemar can become a world class player, no probs.

• Upvote 1

They've been knocking it out of the park with attacking signings, Firmino, then Mane, then Salah, then Keita, and even Oxlade-Chamberlain is starting to look really good. Brilliant everywhere, all for £40m or less (well, a bit more in Keita's case, but that was a buyout clause).

So with Coutinho leaving you have two choices: either pick up another £40-50m-ish player that you think is undervalued (maybe Draxler, or Forsberg, or Ceballos) or really let it rip and go after a huge signing for £80 or 90m (Milinkovic-Savic, or Fekir, who'd be a bit cheaper than that). And, given those choices, you go for Lemar? 

For anything above £50m, that is a big mistake. You're talking about a player who has 2 goals and 4 assists this season. The player who put up this recent performance as one of his best:

It's a difficult one. Fekir is a better player right now and most of our successful signings are 24-26 year olds reaching their prime - Fekir falls perfectly into that category, but does he fit the system as well as Lemar?

What's his pressing like? He seems very one footed. He only plays centrally. Would signing another number 10 be the right decision?

Lemar can cross. He can shoot from long range. He's faster. He's more two footed. It's a question of potential over a more finished article. I tend to favour the latter and we've had much more success with the latter. It remains to be seen but i can understand why we're going for him.

Just as a curveball suggestion. what would the feeling about Mata on a free in the Summer be? Either as a Coutinho replacement or a further addition to the attacking ranks?

I'm not sure, but I think the Mancs have an option for a further year, but should they not exercise that take up, is he the kind of player that would suit us?

From what I've seen of him over the last couple of seasons, he seems one of their most dangerous players and the one that pulls the strings. They look a lesser side, to me, without Mata in.

Just a suggestion to chew over.

I suspect at least one response will be "don't want any cunt who's been there" etc. That doesn't bother me I have to say.

Should the answers be from some/most "injury prone now, possibly past his best" then probably not.

I know he will want big wages if he comes on a free, but with Milner possibly going and a few others off the books, I'm sure we could afford it for a player of his experience.

• Upvote 1

It's a difficult one. Fekir is a better player right now and most of our successful signings are 24-26 year olds reaching their prime - Fekir falls perfectly into that category, but does he fit the system as well as Lemar?

What's his pressing like? He seems very one footed. He only plays centrally. Would signing another number 10 be the right decision?

Lemar can cross. He can shoot from long range. He's faster. He's more two footed. It's a question of potential over a more finished article. I tend to favour the latter and we've had much more success with the latter. It remains to be seen but i can understand why we're going for him.

Lemar is more two-footed? He's one of the most one-footed players I've ever seen! Watch videos on him, he dribbles very effectively but a lot of his "best" dribbling moves are actually a cut-back towards his own goal to avoid a defender because he doesn't have a right foot. Looks really nice but then you're behind the defender again and you have to beat him again.

Look, I'm not saying Lemar is rubbish. Just that he's no better than Draxler who PSG are trying to shift. Let's just get Draxler instead! He's only 24, hardly over the hill or past his prime. He plays on the left or as a central attacking mid, just like Coutinho and Lemar. 

And most importantly, he's available for £40 million! Meaning that's an extra £50 million we have over and above Draxler's price (as compared to Lemar's) to go spend on a goalkeeper or a defensive midfielder. That could be the difference between seriously pursuing Oblak or just settling for Alisson. Or maybe the difference between going after Weigl or just settling for Ndidi (just a few examples, not saying we're actually after any of these).

It's the opportunity cost with Lemar that doesn't make sense to me. It's how much it limits our ability to use that Coutinho money to completely solve most of our biggest weaknesses.

Lemar is a class act, he'd thrive under Klopp, and I do really like the look of this Fekir dude, he'd also be a great signing.

Also linked with Ryad Boubodouz, not a first teamer imo but a fantastic option off the bench and yet more great attacking cover.

Sign him up, the name can generate lots of fun!

I'd like to see us go after Max Meyer. Free agent in the summer, so perhaps a deal could be struck to suit both parties that would bring him in during this window.

Two footed, good close control with a decent passing range, can play across the front line and has been playing in a deeper central midfield role for Schalke this season as well.