You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coutinho’s replacement...

aRdja

I do actually think he's irreplaceable in that we're never going to get someone like Coutinho to replace him. Players of his ability don't come around often. I'd settle for a good attacking midfielder who won't be of the same caliber but someone that can play effectively within our attacking unit.

Thank god you clarified that for us....

• Upvote 1

I would say Goeretzka, Kovacic or Isco. We improve the CM

Our front three is good enough as it is without Coutinho.

Mane, Firminho, Salah is as good as anything out there. And even more so with a quality CM backing them.

It's Coutinho that's played in the front three when we've had to rest one of those.  Unless your plan is see more of Solanke, Chamberlain and Lallana in the front three or play them into the ground, either way, our attack isn't good enough without him.

Can’t be fucked to type or google his name but SMS from Lazio and pay whatever it takes and Fekir from Lyon would be phenomenal pieces of business. More than likely get Lemar because we were clearly at quite advanced stages with him in the summer.

Ox is coming along nicely, I think Jurgen sees him as Coutinho's replacement which is why he took us all by surprise and signed him when he did. Obviously he's not a like-for-like replacement and will never be as good but he doesn't have to be as long as he's feeding our attack, pressing, creating chances and running willingly. He's a different type of player and will only get better under Jurgen. 

Ox is coming along nicely, I think Jurgen sees him as Coutinho's replacement which is why he took us all by surprise and signed him when he did. Obviously he's not a like-for-like replacement and will never be as good but he doesn't have to be as long as he's feeding our attack, pressing, creating chances and running willingly. He's a different type of player and will only get better under Jurgen.

I don't think Jurgen thinks anything of the sort. AOC is no replacement for Coutinho, not even close.

• Upvote 1

We don’t need another winger. We need a conductor in the midfield to control the game.

Need both if Coutinho leaves, as he's the best midfield passer in the team and a winger when Salah or Mane are rested. Or get that rare player who can do both, like De Bruyne - maybe Lemar is close to that?

If we can get 120 million+ for him i'd prefer we brought in 2 new midfielders. One attacking to play along side Keita and and out and out Defensive midfielder.

Then in the Summer bring in a top class goalkeeper and another winger.

I really think this is what we should do. 

It's sort of like the scene in Moneyball where they're sitting around trying to replace some star player. We never replace Coutinho like-for-like, it's just impossible. But we can use the £130m to improve the team with two signings that in the aggregate bring in the improvement we need. 

I'd do an overhaul of our midfield. This season, everyone fit, we're starting Henderson - Wijnaldum - Coutinho, right? With Can/AOC/Lallana/Milner as backups? I think we can completely reshape this with two signings: Rabiot (was available for £25m last summer, would cost £45m now probably) and one from Draxler/Fekir/Lemar.

So first, watch a minute or two of this and imagine it replacing our Henderson-shaped hole.

Rabiot is tall, mobile, and is not at all a destroyer but fully capable of starting attacks when he wins the ball. Will suit Klopp to a T. Plus he's 22 so the bean-counters will be happy that he's coming into his prime rather than leaving it.

Then take, say, £65-70m and get Fekir (I know all footie videos have crap music but you're going to want to mute this one for sure, absolutely atrocious song):

The closest thing to Phil out there who could be available IMO. Mobile, quick, shifty, good eye for a pass. Would he be as good as Coutinho out the gate? Not a chance. But could he develop into a player on that level? Yes, I think so. Been very good since he came back from that huge injury.

So you basically take most of the Coutinho money and go from our current midfield to starting:

Rabiot - Keita - Fekir with Henderson/AOC/Wijnaldum/Lallana as backups. That is a seriously good midfield, miles better than what we have now. 

Or, even better, if there's still a chance of Goretzka, that would allow us to sell Henderson and improve even more somewhere else.

I really think this is what we should do. 

It's sort of like the scene in Moneyball where they're sitting around trying to replace some star player. We never replace Coutinho like-for-like, it's just impossible. But we can use the £130m to improve the team with two signings that in the aggregate bring in the improvement we need. 

I'd do an overhaul of our midfield. This season, everyone fit, we're starting Henderson - Wijnaldum - Coutinho, right? With Can/AOC/Lallana/Milner as backups? I think we can completely reshape this with two signings: Rabiot (was available for £25m last summer, would cost £45m now probably) and one from Draxler/Fekir/Lemar.

So first, watch a minute or two of this and imagine it replacing our Henderson-shaped hole.

Rabiot is tall, mobile, and is not at all a destroyer but fully capable of starting attacks when he wins the ball. Will suit Klopp to a T. Plus he's 22 so the bean-counters will be happy that he's coming into his prime rather than leaving it.

Then take, say, £65-70m and get Fekir (I know all footie videos have crap music but you're going to want to mute this one for sure, absolutely atrocious song):

The closest thing to Phil out there who could be available IMO. Mobile, quick, shifty, good eye for a pass. Would he be as good as Coutinho out the gate? Not a chance. But could he develop into a player on that level? Yes, I think so. Been very good since he came back from that huge injury.

So you basically take most of the Coutinho money and go from our current midfield to starting:

Rabiot - Keita - Fekir with Henderson/AOC/Wijnaldum/Lallana as backups. That is a seriously good midfield, miles better than what we have now. 

Or, even better, if there's still a chance of Goretzka, that would allow us to sell Henderson and improve even more somewhere else.

Isn't Rabiot a regular for PSG? Could we realistically get him? Fekir might be more realistic but he'll have interest from other top clubs too, getting him would be a struggle.