You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2018

DanDanShaw

6 minutes ago, Brownie said:

It continues to bemuse me how Joshua is so disliked on here whilst Fury is so liked. I accept that Joshua is over-hyped but you can say that about so many fighters at the top of the game. Boxing is an intrinsically corrupt sport where hype is everything so it shouldn't be surprising that an Olympic gold medallist who has accumulated loads of belts is massively hyped.

He'll eventually get knocked out by someone because that's just how it goes but some of the stuff spouted will be amazing for its ridiculousness.

022.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 12/24/2018 at 10:57 AM, Elite said:

He's disliked because he doesn't show his true personality, he's incredibly false and every single line out of his mouth has been orchestrated, when he has momentarily lapses like after the Whyte fight the other night you getting to see a glimpse of the 'Real Joshua' who isn't the humble, national sweetheart that they want to portray. I'd prefer him to be himself, he can be nasty, crude or anything but I'd like him a lot more than this current production line version.

Fury is more liked because he isnt faking, you get what you see without all the bullshit.

Do you know him personally?

AJ definitely has a media persona which I'm sure matchroom help him with and it's fucking boring. But at least he's not saying bigoted things and how he'll eat someone's babies!

Boxers are weird cunts to listen to on the whole, they have such huge self esteem and ego it often goes into real delusion. In AJs case it seems to manifest itself in platitudes and safe philosophy. 

Boxing could be so much more enjoyable if the multiple belts and promoters were binned off, with interviews and fake beef kept to a minimum. Just get on with the action. Inactivity is another pain in the dick as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

Boxing could be so much more enjoyable if the multiple belts and promoters were binned off, with interviews and fake beef kept to a minimum. Just get on with the action. Inactivity is another pain in the dick as well. 

Amen to that. All the WWE build up bullshit, fireworks, ring walks, rapping, national anthems, booing of said national anthems, moronic footy-like chants/drones, Sweet Fuckin Caroline and the absolute fuckin thundercunts doing that bastard 'wooing' in the audience can shove all that up Mooks arse and set fire to it. Just get the boxers in there Tyson-style, no muss, no fuss and let them get on with it. Not in the slightest bit interested in any of that contrived marketing bullshit. It only serves to bring out the worst of the wankers in the crowd.

I like the idea of having two belts for each weight division. Four is shite and allows for loads of swerving. Two still creates a unification fight though, which I like.

Obviously agree re the rest. That stuff post Chisora v Whyte with Joshua in the ring was fucking appalling.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I like the idea of having two belts for each weight division. Four is shite and allows for loads of swerving. Two still creates a unification fight though, which I like.

Obviously agree re the rest. That stuff post Chisora v Whyte with Joshua in the ring was fucking appalling.

I switched off way before that happened

On 12/24/2018 at 10:57 AM, Elite said:

He's disliked because he doesn't show his true personality, he's incredibly false and every single line out of his mouth has been orchestrated, when he has momentarily lapses like after the Whyte fight the other night you getting to see a glimpse of the 'Real Joshua' who isn't the humble, national sweetheart that they want to portray. I'd prefer him to be himself, he can be nasty, crude or anything but I'd like him a lot more than this current production line version.

Fury is more liked because he isnt faking, you get what you see without all the bullshit.

Man who gets paid hundreds of millions to repeatedly punch somebody in the face as hard as he can in not being a very nice person shocker....

3 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

That would work very well but will never happen, these organisations are making too much money, they'll try to make more belts if they can get away with it such as the WBA regular champion. 

The UFC has a great model but they do their best to make a complete mess of that themselves 

6 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Eh?  Do you mean when Joshua came to ringside and spoke in the mic?  I'm not so sure what was so awful about it?

He comes in halfway through this (Ignore the over-excited video title):

On 12/26/2018 at 10:45 AM, Elite said:

No but I can tell when someone is being genuine. 

Did you manage to get the Anthony Joshua bedding for Christmas to go with your Matchroom curtains?

Well there are two things to say to that:

1) You’re making grand statements about him when you don’t even know him (you might be right like but still...)

2) All sportsmen/sportswomen have a media persona, it’s the same in pretty much all sports. It’s extremely rare to see any of them being completely themselves so i’m not sure why you’re bemoaning it.

Personally I couldn’t give a fuck about Joshua or Matchroom, they could both disappear tomorrow and i’d still watch the boxing.

3 hours ago, Brownie said:

Well there are two things to say to that:

1) You’re making grand statements about him when you don’t even know him (you might be right like but still...)

2) All sportsmen/sportswomen have a media persona, it’s the same in pretty much all sports. It’s extremely rare to see any of them being completely themselves so i’m not sure why you’re bemoaning it.

Personally I couldn’t give a fuck about Joshua or Matchroom, they could both disappear tomorrow and i’d still watch the boxing.

It's a thread about boxing, so I'm giving my opinion about its biggest stars, it hardly matters to them anyway. I'm not anti-Joshua, I'd just prefer to see him being himself more.

I have respect for all of them, getting in that ring takes incredible balls.

On 12/28/2018 at 9:50 PM, Bjornebye said:

Imagine if Mayweather got properly filled in by that Japanese kid 

Easiest money Mayweather has ever made. $9m for less than 3 minutes.

Complete farce, but if people are willing to throw money at him for doing this sort of thing, then fair fucks to him.

16 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

Easiest money Mayweather has ever made. $9m for less than 3 minutes.

Complete farce, but if people are willing to throw money at him for doing this sort of thing, then fair fucks to him.

I kind of think he has a responsibility to the sport which made him his millions, and he's not holding up his end of the bargain.

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I kind of think he has a responsibility to the sport which made him his millions, and he's not holding up his end of the bargain.

I understand what you're saying, but has he not already held up his end going 49-0 in his professional career?

These last 2 fights have been nothing more than glorified sparring matches, and if people are going to throw millions at him for doing these kind of events, then why shouldn't he take it?