You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2018

DanDanShaw

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

It can just doesn't really happen. You see it more when both fighters go down. 

It's just generally accepted 10-8/10-7 depending on knockdown. 

I've definitely seen it happen but I agree that it's rare. Personally I would have scored the 12th on Saturday as 10-9 to Wilder.

I would have scored the 5th round of the Joshua vs Klitschko fight in the same way.

Just now, Brownie said:

I've definitely seen it happen but I agree that it's rare. Personally I would have scored the 12th on Saturday as 10-9 to Wilder.

I would have scored the 5th round of the Joshua vs Klitschko fight in the same way.

Not for me

It was the biggest punch and most effective work of the whole fight. To give him a 10-9" would be wrong in my view. Its like saying it means as much as Fury winning one of the early round where fuck all happened. At the end of the day it's still prize fighting and the quickest and best way to victory is to put your opponent away so I agree with favouring a knockdown over a fighter jabbing them self to a round and points victory. 

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

Not for me

It was the biggest punch and most effective work of the whole fight. To give him a 10-9" would be wrong in my view. Its like saying it means as much as Fury winning one of the early round where fuck all happened. At the end of the day it's still prize fighting and the quickest and best way to victory is to put your opponent away so I agree with favouring a knockdown over a fighter jabbing them self to a round and points victory. 

I agree with that, I don't think Fury just jabbed his way through the rest of the round though, Wilder looked fucked and ready to go by the end of it (I'd need to watch it back though as I was pissed!)

2 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I think whatever way you look at it, Fury won by a clear margin. 

No arguments there

I had Wilder win 3 rounds tops and one of them was dubious. Though fuck all happened in the first 3 to 4 rounds really

The flaws in all the top heavyweights at the moment is nuts. Not one complete fighter out there. Someone like Tua must be shaking his head he wasn't born 15 years later. Never good enough to win a world title in his day but he would likely catch any of these guys though. And Lewis and Holyfield would batter any of them

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

The flaws in all the top heavyweights at the moment is nuts. Not one complete fighter out there. Someone like Tua must be shaking his head he wasn't born 15 years later. Never good enough to win a world title in his day but he would likely catch any of these guys though. And Lewis and Holyfield would batter any of them

Usyk could be the man. 

He will but he's not a one shot hitter in terms of putting them out. Hope he does, will be interesting seeing him against someone like Whyte, Parker and see what he's got. 

Some special Ukrainians at the moment 

4 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

He will but he's not a one shot hitter in terms of putting them out. Hope he does, will be interesting seeing him against someone like Whyte, Parker and see what he's got. 

Some special Ukrainians at the moment 

My 2 favourite boxers right now. 1 and 4 in the P4P. 

I've just watched the fight back and interestingly enough I scored it 114-113 to Fury. As well as the two 10-8 rounds for Wilder, I gave him the 2nd and 4th rounds. I couldn't split them in round 3.

Despite what I thought from Saturday night (when I was inebriated!), the 12th was a 10-8 round as although Fury had the better of the round apart from the knockdown, it wasn't enough to make it a 10-9.

I don't think the scoring of a draw is as bad on second viewing. Fury was clearly the better fighter but when you get knocked down twice you give yourself a lot of work to do.

9 hours ago, sir roger said:

I think the official punch stats had Wilder throwing more but Fury landing 13 more punches over the piece & considering 2 of Wilder's punches put Fury down it doesn't scream ' worst ever decision ' like I have seen it described in some outlets.

That shows how misleading stats can be in isolation.

10 hours ago, Brownie said:

I've just watched the fight back and interestingly enough I scored it 114-113 to Fury. As well as the two 10-8 rounds for Wilder, I gave him the 2nd and 4th rounds. I couldn't split them in round 3.

Despite what I thought from Saturday night (when I was inebriated!), the 12th was a 10-8 round as although Fury had the better of the round apart from the knockdown, it wasn't enough to make it a 10-9.

I don't think the scoring of a draw is as bad on second viewing. Fury was clearly the better fighter but when you get knocked down twice you give yourself a lot of work to do.

Doesn't that work out as 114-112?

The big problem people have is not that Fury won by miles, but that one judge had him losing by 4 rounds. That's just mental!