You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2018

DanDanShaw

31 minutes ago, Elite said:

Ridiculous stoppage

Yeah, I agree.

With this stoppage and the crazy scores in the Postol fight, Scotland is not a safe place for foreign fighters.

That being said, Martin was down 6 rounds and had no chance. Taylor was truly phenomenal tonight.

2 hours ago, byrnie said:

Deadly. Enjoy the night. 

When we were buying a few drinks in the kiosk, we met Paddy Barnes.

Really nice guy. Told him that we thought he was brave, but Rosales is a beast. Says that he's having 2 fights then he's going to challenge for a title again.

• Upvote 1

In hindsight it was a bad stoppage, but on the first watch I did think he was seriously hurt so I might be able to see why the ref did too. 

Covering your head and kneeling down with your back to your opponent is a pretty universal signal for not wanting to carry on. 

Turns out he just wanted the ref to give him a small break, and without any repercussion because he could blame it on the punch to the back of the head.

Looks like he over sold it though and fooled the ref that little bit too much, so it's his own fault for going down too easy. 

8 hours ago, Kevin D said:

When we were buying a few drinks in the kiosk, we met Paddy Barnes.

Really nice guy. Told him that we thought he was brave, but Rosales is a beast. Says that he's having 2 fights then he's going to challenge for a title again.

Paddy is a really sound guy. 50 words in ten seconds, but he is sound.

5 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Did Josh make one mistake tonight?

The sense in the Hydro was that it was a masterclass and Martin landed fewer than 10 clean punches.

He's going to win this tournament and book his place in the pound-for-pound rankings.

He was immense. He took away any belief that Martin had within a round or two.

23 minutes ago, byrnie said:

Indeed he is. Chatted away to us, even when his mates left and posed for photos with anybody who recognised him and asked.

I knew he was brave after the Rosales fight, but he also told us that he doesn't drink which is another level of bravery to say out loud in Glasgow. There was an audible gasp in the room when he said that.

• Upvote 1

Love watching Josh Taylor, he could go on to be one of Scotland's best ever fighters. He'll be in the final against Prograis but I fancy Taylor getting the job done in a close fight.

His profile needs raising though, cyclone have done a great job moving him along this quickly but him fighting on IFL TV via YouTube is fucking shite.

34 minutes ago, byrnie said:

What's the plan for Saturday lads? We'll be in Manchester for 1/2pm.

Are any of you still meeting up for a pint?

Are you out afterwards? I'll be going straight to the arena then out in the printworks for a few hours afterwards.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Elite said:

Are you out afterwards? I'll be going straight to the arena then out in the printworks for a few hours afterwards.

Yeah I reckon we'll go for a couple after the fight, but not too mad because we're going the match Sunday morning.

What time do you get to Manchester at?

18 minutes ago, byrnie said:

Yeah I reckon we'll go for a couple after the fight, but not too mad because we're going the match Sunday morning.

What time do you get to Manchester at?

Probably just as it starts mate 

On 11/4/2018 at 7:47 AM, byrnie said:

Frampton put his phone number up on twitter once for the laugh, i texted Paddy giving him a lighthearted jeer, in fairness he texted back laughing about it.  He's always getting the piss taken out of him but he's a sound fella, heard only good things about him.

I know he can come across as a bit of a belled and I know he is up against it on Saturday but I hope Bellew wins. He has said he is retiring regardless and it would be great to see him go out on a high. I am worried for him though. He looks slightly gaunt, as small as I've seen him to be honest. Saying he is going to give everything he has got on Saturday. Hope he comes through. 

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I know he can come across as a bit of a belled and I know he is up against it on Saturday but I hope Bellew wins. He has said he is retiring regardless and it would be great to see him go out on a high. I am worried for him though. He looks slightly gaunt, as small as I've seen him to be honest. Saying he is going to give everything he has got on Saturday. Hope he comes through. 

He'd be even more unbearable mate.