You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

It's Friday I'm in love with Liverpool....F.A Cup v the Blues.

Guest Pistonbroke

Aside from maybe Swansea I can't recall a more abject team performance from an opponent this season than the one Everton put in against us.

They are dreadful. Even if they come to park the bus and frustrate, we should have too much for them. Firmino brace on the cards. Plus maybe one by Alexander-Arnold.

They were fucking awful weren't they and it still narks me they got away with a point.

I honestly can't recall a more cowardly performance from a visiting side but also a more laughably bad one - they actually managed to just hoof the ball out of play nearly every time they got it in a quite embarrassing display of cowardice and shiteness - 21% possession!

Worse of all was the love in for fat sham's brave boys getting a point from the media - payback time, reds....

• Upvote 1

Virgil’s eligible isn’t he? It’s probably a good game for him to start and all this talk of match fitness with him is a bit over the top, he’s only missed 2 games, he’ll be rusty from hardly playing for a year but in terms of physical fitness he should be fine and as I said it’s probably a good game for him to start if they’re going to park the bus he shouldn’t have much to do and can gain a bit of confidence and integrate him into the team as soon as possible, then possibly take him out for the City game as they’re all on fire and his rustiness might show up more then. We should win this one and get a bit of payback for the league game, 3-1 win.

Fat Sam might even “rest” a few to either make a point to the board that he needs more players or as in any game we have the potential to blow any team away and win 5-0 so maybe he’d not want the embarrassment and play a weakened team and if we do hammer them it’s as damaging for morale because it was only their 2nd team that we beat.

Jurgen Klopp admits he is unsure whether new £75million defender Virgil van Dijk will make his Liverpool debut against Everton on Friday.

Klopp-Van-Dijk.jpg

The centre-half put pen to paper on a deal expected to keep him at Anfield until the summer of 2023 after finalising his switch from Southampton on New Year’s Day.

While Holland defender Van Dijk was ineligible to face Burnley at Turf Moor on Monday, the player will be free to feature against Everton in the FA Cup third-round on Friday night.

Klopp, however, has refused to say whether the centre-back was in contention to face Sam Allardyce’s Toffees.

“I don’t know,” the German said. “We made a few tests. No rush. He is on fire, really wants (to play), but we have to make sure he can perform.

“Centre-half is a position which depends on the others in the pitch. That means you have to tune it so you work together.

“After Friday, we have a little bit more time. It is a long-time project. It is not important when his first game (is) but how many good games (he has).”

Van Dijk is now the world’s most expensive defender after the £75million fee shattered the £54million spent by Manchester City to sign England full-back Kyle Walker from Tottenham in the summer.

However, the amount he has cost Liverpool is not something the Holland international is thinking about

“Obviously there is a lot of money being paid, but I can’t do anything about that money, I can’t do anything about the price – nobody can,” he told liverpoolfc.com.

“It’s only the market. The only thing I can do is just work hard, do the good things and be 100 per cent every day. I am happy to be here and I can’t wait to get started.

“I think this is the right time for me to be here and to develop all sorts of aspects of my game. I am looking forward to doing that – that’s the main thing.”

Jurgen Klopp insists Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah will fly to Ghana 24 hours before Friday’s FA Cup Merseyside derby against Everton with his full support.

Mane-Salah.jpg

Senegal international Mane will travel with Reds team-mate Salah as both are on the shortlist for the Confederation of African Football’s player of the year award.

However, with Salah an injury doubt for the game, as is Philippe Coutinho, the importance of Mane has become greater in the short term than that of new £75million signing Virgil van Dijk, and it was highlighted in the 2-1 win at Burnley.

Mane scored a brilliant opener – only his second Premier League strike since August – and may have to play a key role against Everton.

However, Klopp – in understanding the importance of the awards – will not prevent him from travelling to Africa.

“Sadio is unbelievably important for us. He is strong, quick, so many things. He scores a goal like this and it is like, ‘Wow’,” said Klopp, who saw defender Ragnar Klavan snatch a stoppage-time winner after Burnley’s Johann Berg Gudmundsson had equalised in the 87th minute.

GettyImages.870175464.jpg

“We have everything organised. We have two of the three best African players in our squad. We have to show them respect.

“If it had been a matchday they wouldn’t have asked. We sleep in a hotel, they sleep in a plane. That is all the difference.

“If Mo is not fit, it will not be for that (travelling). For our side, it is just a sign of respect.

“I had (Pierre-Emerick) Aubameyang (at Borussia Dortmund) and there is nothing more important than to go there.”

Tricky tie against a little team, the FA Cup often throws up these David and Goliath type games and the media love it. They will hold on for grim life to try to get the game replayed at their little ground for the cash boost, we should be able to swat them aside easily enough once we've weathered the first 30 minutes of their heavy defending. 

• Upvote 2

Cant help but be worried about this despite how shit they are. We need a full strength side out and to get right into them from the off. No tinkering because its the cup, I couldn't imagine the grief if they knocked us out. Not only that but its the FA Cup. I want us to win it. 3rd place, The Cup and a decent little run in the champions league would be a very good season all things considered. 

• Upvote 1

I fuckin hate the derby and more so now its a cup game. 

I can only see copious amounts of alcohol prior to the game getting me and my derby day nerves through this.

Having said that, as long as we win, I'll be fine.

Nothing wrong with drinking copious amounts of alcohol on a Friday night

If offered a straight choice between a top four finish OR an FA Cup win, I’m afraid I’d choose the former, but I readily acknowledge a certain sadness over that choice.

I would rather win the champions league than the FA Cup, so I see finishing top 4 as the first qualifying round to do that.

No reason why we can't have a crack at both though, success breeds success.

An FA Cup win this year might inspire some of our current lot to dig that bit deeper next time around to get something more prestigious.