You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Leon Goretzka

Joe Strummer

There are still some good centre-mids out there (Diawara, Kovacic, Milinkovic-Savic, Bentaleb, Soler, Ceballos, Demirbay, Seri and our former targets Dahoud and Zielinski among others) but most of these are going to cost £40m+. Getting a £40m midfielder in Goretzka for free would have been perfect considering we just splashed the cash on Keita and VVD and still need to fork out for a new keeper and hopefully a left-back too. 

Guess we will just have to spend some 40m on Emre's replacement now. Reuniting Diawara and Keita would be my preferred option personally, as we do need a defensive mid most. Bentaleb, Torreira and Weigl are others who could do a job there.

Great post.

I think the real impact of the combination of Can/Goretzka not going our way is financial, not performance on the pitch. Can is a good player, potentially a very good one but unlikely to ever be a great player. Goretzka is at a similar level, potentially a bit higher but not a Keita or a De Bruyne or anything. We can find other players, from the list you've suggested, who are as good.

So the main impact is that now we have to go spend a bunch of money, probably at least 35-40m, to buy a replacement for Can. And that impacts down the line - that's 40m we can't add to the budget for the goalkeeper to go after Oblak, or whatever.

Another fuck your to all the ITKs who some STILL claim that he’s ours despite more reliable sources saying that he’s agreed to go to Bayern. I just don’t get why anyone would want to give it the big one about something happening then it not and you look like a dickhead then to continue to do it and continue to end up looking the dickhead!

They don’t make money from it so why do it?

Another fuck your to all the ITKs who some STILL claim that he’s ours despite more reliable sources saying that he’s agreed to go to Bayern. I just don’t get why anyone would want to give it the big one about something happening then it not and you look like a dickhead then to continue to do it and continue to end up looking the dickhead!

They don’t make money from it so why do it?

Attention. The people made to look like dickheads are those that keep giving them the time of day, every fucking transfer window.
  • Upvote 1

Attention. The people made to look like dickheads are those that keep giving them the time of day, every fucking transfer window.

It's like a reworking of the old joke:

How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

Follow me on Twitter and I'll let you know when I'm allowed to say. Imminent news coming up.

• Upvote 2