You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 5 Swansea City 0 (Dec 26 2017)

tlw content

swanseareport1.jpg

Three points, five goals and a clean sheet. Not a bad way to celebrate Christmas and just what we needed after throwing away two points at Arsenal. We rarely even had to move into third gear to win this, let alone fourth or fifth, so that's a good sign and hopefully it means that legs should still be quite fresh for Saturday's game against Leicester, which should be a lot more testing than this was.

Having taken an early lead with another Coutinho cracker the stage was set for us to put Swansea away before half time. The goal was a microcosm of everything good about us. Can pressed the man in possession and although he didn’t win the ball, he put the player off balance which allowed Firmino to come in and complete the job. Swansea wanted a free kick but it looked like a desperate dive to me, and for once Kevin Friend got something right and allowed play to go on. He had a very good game, which must be a first. 

Anyway, Firmino found Salah who immediately played it into the path of Coutinho. One touch and then a spectacular bending shot into the far corner later and we had the crucial breakthrough. The first goal is always vital in these games but I always feel like it’s the second that’s the all important one. We can always give up a freak goal against these crap teams but sometimes you know there’s not a chance in hell they could score two. When we're playing someone decent then it's the third one that's the key as that means we're almost certainly sure of a point at least. It shouldn't be that way of course, but this is the crazy nature of this team.

A quick second would have probably opened the floodgates but the longer the half went on though the more our tempo dropped and Swansea were quite comfortable. It felt like most of the half was Matip and Klavan passing it to each other or to big Emre. I didn’t really blame them for that as there wasn’t enough going on ahead of them and the passing lanes weren’t there. 

We’ve seen this quite a lot at home. Teams pack the defence and if we let the tempo drop then not much happens. When the tempo is high we look like we can score at will. Even in the recent disappointing display against West Brom there were a few spells when we upped the intensity and could have scored. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for THREE MONTHS.

Nice of you to mention Ragnar. He certainly has his limits, but he knows very well what he can or can’t do and plays accordingly. Has been rock solid for us, doing it simple.

I smell a title challenge coming next season. I just wonder how much loosing Cou will cost us? Surely we’re not able to keep him here one more year? Or maybe we can?

good report Dave.  Coutinho is playing out of his skin, as is Firmino.  Having 3 or 4 dangerous players available in every game is a real luxury. And of course I agree with you about Klavan. He's been quietly efficient since he got back into the team, and has made some crucial blocks to deny real goalscoring opportunities.  As you say, he's probably been our best CB this season, and it's testament to his character.  

Forgot to mention in the report, but Swansea deserved to lose by at least five based purely on their kit.

You wear an away kit when you don't need to, you deserve a fucking hammering as far as I'm concerned.

Probably part of the deal with the manufacturer that all 3 kits need to be worn throughout the season. With their all white 1st kit they don't get many true opportunities to wear the 2nd and 3rd kit.