You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 1 Everton 1 (Dec 10 2017)

tlw content

Great report Dave, cheers.

I’m not completely down on Lovren, but I still think he should have jockeyed the player and remained half a yard off him. Had he tried to turn and face Lovren then get your foot in and tackle and don’t let him turn.

Still, the point is well made about Lewin stepping across Lovren, on a different tranjectory to where the ball was going, drawing contact, and then making the most of it to win a penalty. It was very harsh indeed.

I’m frustrated to not hammer them as we are so much better. Mane culpable for not squaring it, possibly a bit too much rotation from Klopp for that one, a dodgy penalty and some iffy finishing all conspired together to see it end 1-1.

Time to get some more wins on the board and put this behind us. We’ll see them again soon enough, and hopefully next time we hammer them off the park.

I think that you are contradicting yourself a little there saying he should be half a yard off him, but then that the player moved towards him. Maybe he could have anticipated that, but I'm doubtful. 

Guest Pistonbroke

I want him to have his arse handed to him the ear piece wearing twat. The money that gets chucked at him (both legally and otherwise) astounds me.

That said, they could be a match made in heaven

True.

Wait until the deluded fucks dip into the market again though. All that bravado will return pre-season and talk of glories on the horizon, only to be crushed by fat Sam as he hoofs his way to mediocrity. They'll be screaming for his head. 

I think that you are contradicting yourself a little there saying he should be half a yard off him, but then that the player moved towards him. Maybe he could have anticipated that, but I'm doubtful.

God jul!

It’s fine margins. For me, if he is half a yard or even a yard off the player, and then the player moves towards him to draw contact and go over, it looks more ridiculous on Lewin’s part and hopefully is then seen for what it is by the ref - a flagrant attempt to win a penalty that hopefully results in a booking, or at least a Liverpool free kick.

With Lovren so tight, Lewin could bounce off him and make it look (to the blind ref at least, as he awarded the penalty) that they were both going for the ball and Lovren muscled him and pushed him off it.

Very soft indeed, but to my mind the art of jockeying a player is dying out. Lovren was definitely on the sharp end of some dishonest play by Lewin, who duped the ref. He didn’t commit a mistake, as such, but for me he could have been a bit cuter.

God jul!

It’s fine margins. For me, if he is half a yard or even a yard off the player, and then the player moves towards him to draw contact and go over, it looks more ridiculous on Lewin’s part and hopefully is then seen for what it is by the ref - a flagrant attempt to win a penalty that hopefully results in a booking, or at least a Liverpool free kick.

With Lovren so tight, Lewin could bounce off him and make it look (to the blind ref at least, as he awarded the penalty) that they were both going for the ball and Lovren muscled him and pushed him off it.

Very soft indeed, but to my mind the art of jockeying a player is dying out. Lovren was definitely on the sharp end of some dishonest play by Lewin, who duped the ref. He didn’t commit a mistake, as such, but for me he could have been a bit cuter.

If Lovren is standing off the player and he turns and gets a shot away then it’s Lovren’s fault. If Lovren is tight to the player who jumps into him then throws himself to the ground, it’s not Lovren’s fault.

The ref was duped, the lad won a pen for his team, we were robbed. Whatever, this is football, these things happen.

The backlash Lovren has faced, however, is completely unjust. I think people actively want to see him fail, at this point. Which is pretty fucked up.

• Upvote 2

If Lovren is standing off the player and he turns and gets a shot away then it’s Lovren’s fault. If Lovren is tight to the player who jumps into him then throws himself to the ground, it’s not Lovren’s fault.

The ref was duped, the lad won a pen for his team, we were robbed. Whatever, this is football, these things happen.

The backlash Lovren has faced, however, is completely unjust. I think people actively want to see him fail, at this point. Which is pretty fucked up.

I’d like to see a tackle made if the player turns, before he gets a shot off. Or at least a block so the shot comes to nothing.

I’m not having a go at Lovren. It wasn’t a mistake, as such. It was dishonest play from Lewin and the ref fell for it. One of those things. My viewpoint on Lovren in this instance is he could have been a bit cuter, and the art of jockeying a player is dying out.

My wider view on Lovren, based on his time as a red, is that he should be a back up, and hopefully we will see that if/when we buy a central defender to go to the top of the class. He has times in the team where he looks good, but for his age and experience he can be too rash. We need calm authority back there from our experienced players, and he doesn’t have that consistently.

I don't blame Lovern,  but before the penalty incident he mis judged the flight of the ball and if he was standing in the right place he would have cleared the ball and the incident would never have happened as it was it went over his shoulder to the strikers feet, watch it again.I mainly blame our inability to shut games out and ALWAYS giving inferior opposition at least one goal scoring chance in games through with Mignolet and Lovren in the team this trend will continue which is  a shame. They both needed replacing last season. We are on a decent run and we need to bounce back after this as it stung.

I watched match of the day two on Sunday I shouldn't have bothered though it made me even more angry. Murphy and shearer both said it was a pen yet in the city united game Herrera drags his leg makes contact with the city player and goes down Murphy and shearer both said that was a dive.To me these incidents are the same the only difference is one cheat uses his leg to make contact while the other cheat uses his upper body to make contact.

That's my beef with the whole situation too. Not blaming the ref, not arsed about what the striker did, I'm just bothered by all the people saying it was a pen and ripping Lovren.

There's plenty to criticise him for without making stuff up.

This wasn't exactly Messi facing Lovren up, it's a fucking kid in Calvert-Lewin, on his weak foot and running away from goal. If he's got to put his hands on a world class forward in the box in order to not get skinned, I'd never blame him, but in this case he didn't read the situation correctly. There was zero danger there.

He does it to himself. When he has these mini runs of form when he doesn't make a fuck up for 3 games, you don't see anyone hoping he'll fuck up, but in the end he just does because he's shite. He can't do anything about it, he's just a bad defender who can't ever be isolated against a professional level forward because he'll get annihilated and this is frustrating to people. 

This wasn't exactly Messi facing Lovren up, it's a fucking kid in Calvert-Lewin, on his weak foot and running away from goal. If he's got to put his hands on a world class forward in the box in order to not get skinned, I'd never blame him, but in this case he didn't read the situation correctly. There was zero danger there.

He does it to himself. When he has these mini runs of form when he doesn't make a fuck up for 3 games, you don't see anyone hoping he'll fuck up, but in the end he just does because he's shite. He can't do anything about it, he's just a bad defender who can't ever be isolated against a professional level forward because he'll get annihilated and this is frustrating to people.

This.

Totally agree. First he fails to win the ball in the air so puts himself in the position above. He is terrible at all parts of being a defender.

Totally agree. First he fails to win the ball in the air so puts himself in the position above. He is terrible at all parts of being a defender.

That should be the crux of it but it's all poor Lovren this and that, never a penalty.  It's like leaving your car door wide open with the engine running and then complaining at someone stealing it.