You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 7 Spartak Moscow 0 (Dec 6 2017)

tlw content

spartakreport2.jpg

That was breathtaking. Just a stunning display of football, the likes of which supporters of very few teams ever get to witness. Don’t try and water it down by telling me it was ‘only’ Spartak Moscow. Just like it was ‘only’ Maribor. It’s not like anyone else is doing this to these teams is it? 

Spartak might not be Real Madrid but they aren’t bums either. They put five past Sevilla, yet our front four made them look like a school team. This sets the record straight for that ridiculous draw in Moscow when really the score should have been similar to this one. 

We sometimes take wins like that for granted and we moan constantly about not winning the title, and maybe we lose sight of the fact that some the football this team plays is at times other worldly. It’s fucking incredible, the speed with which they move the ball around and the pace they attack with. 

There are fans of loads of other teams that have never, ever, been treated to football like that from the team they support. I’m not just talking lower league teams either, there are very few sides in England who have ever hit the heights Liverpool against Spartak. It was special. Who else is capable of football like this? Madrid, Barca, PSG, City, maybe Bayern. That’s probably it. When we attack it’s just like a big fucking red blur. 

As I said, this could easily have happened in the first meeting in Moscow, except this time we didn’t squander the glut of chances we created. We scored more goals in this group stage than any English team has ever managed before, but the truth is we should easily have added another ten to that total when you think about the chances we missed in Moscow and at home to Sevilla. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for THREE MONTHS.

You know, I really enjoyed the enthusiasm of that article and know you're absolutely right to be so enthusiastic. We're just a brilliant attacking team.

But I look at the score again and think, from the vantage point of my 40s, that the game reflects the shitness of football.

Is it not a peculiar kind of arrogance that makes us feel good about tanking Slovenian and Russian teams? Without a single local player in the team?

Don't get me wrong. Fantastic to watch. And yet I miss the days where a draw in Greece was a serious, hard-earned achievement. Or a Scottish or Belgian team might win a European competition.

• Upvote 2

Poor Spartak were like my primary school team in a game once where we were getting hammered by a much better team and the ref started giving us lots of generous decisions and eventually blew up early. Not sure that sort of thing should really be happening at Champions League level though. 

Shame we didn't meet Everton a couple of weeks ago as I think we'd have done something like this to them the way they were playing at the time. Allardyce will probably at least have them organised enough to avoid a complete humiliation.

You know, I really enjoyed the enthusiasm of that article and know you're absolutely right to be so enthusiastic. We're just a brilliant attacking team.

But I look at the score again and think, from the vantage point of my 40s, that the game reflects the shitness of football.

Is it not a peculiar kind of arrogance that makes us feel good about tanking Slovenian and Russian teams? Without a single local player in the team?

Don't get me wrong. Fantastic to watch. And yet I miss the days where a draw in Greece was a serious, hard-earned achievement. Or a Scottish or Belgian team might win a European competition.

Trent Alexander Arnold dislikes this.

• Upvote 1