You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

As Amazon Shares Fall, Jeff Bezos Is No Longer A Centi-Billionaire

Guest thanh03041993

5 hours ago, Remmie said:

No one 'deserves' that level of wealth. It's obscene

What's he supposed to do? Retire? Give his business away? Who knows what he actually does with the money he makes, for all we know he might be snorting coke or making schools in every land. 

Taking his money away wouldn't necessarily solve the world's problems, neither would it spread wealth across the world. 

It's the people who run drug cartels who become billionaires that I'd have the biggest problems with. 

6 hours ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Even returns process is smooth. Just don't mention that half the stuff returned goes straight to the landfill as testing it, sorting it, restocking as refurbished etc costs too much.

I don’t know if it’s over here or widespread but I saw something about you could buy ‘mystery pallets’ of returned Amazon goods. Haven’t looked into it properly but sounds interesting. 

53 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

What's he supposed to do? Retire? Give his business away? Who knows what he actually does with the money he makes, for all we know he might be snorting coke or making schools in every land. 

He could pay his fucking staff properly and not oversee harsh conditions 

I think he has invested some of his money in a rival space programme to Elon Musk and also some money towards climate change

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Remmie said:

He could pay his fucking staff properly and not oversee harsh conditions 

I think he has invested some of his money in a rival space programme to Elon Musk and also some money towards climate change

I guarantee a drug lords 'Couriers' get paid a lot more than Amazon's.

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Taking his money away wouldn't necessarily solve the world's problems, neither would it spread wealth across the world. 

Actually, if you took all his money & spread it around the World, that would around $28 for each human & that's a fair bit of cash for someone with fuck all. You could split it between the poorest 10% and it would go a lot further.

Daft hypothetical nonsense but still pretty fucking mental. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

While it's obviously true that wealth should be more evenly distributed globally, I think a big part of the problem is that it's not like Bezos and Gates just have $100 billion in their bank accounts that we could just distribute.

The vast majority of their wealth comes from their controlling ownership in Amazon and Microsoft. You could argue that we should strip any shares worth over, say, $100 million from anyone who owns them, but that would be a completely different argument. I don't think anyone suggesting we give Gates' wealth to the poorest 10% really thinks we should give them each a Class A voting share of Microsoft stock.

How do we let the guy who started the company and presumably, is most qualified to run it continue to do so, while simultaneously not letting him get so absurdly wealthy that he could buy and sell many small nations is a pretty complex question.

To me, the much bigger issue is the billionaire heirs and heiresses. There is absolutely no reason that you should be able to pass along more than maybe $5-10 million (which we could, over time, increase for inflation) to your children. I think the Walton children (whose grandfather started Walmart) are 4 or 5 of the richest 10 people in the world, which is just stupid.

People smarter than me have made the case the wealth Bezos has is a symptom of the week antitrust laws. Arguing over how much he and his heirs should have is the wrong argument for me. More how his and similar companies have been allowed to get so big. If it's framed as you are taking something off someone it goes against peoples wharped 21st century of capitalist fairness and allows the discussion to be distracted. 

Over the past few years Warren and Sanders and others have made a case for the likes of Amazon to be split up. There are ongoing investigations into Facebook and Google where some have made the case for them be to be broken up. The EU went after Google and the Democrats and Republicans are not just talking about the economic impact but the challenges to democracy these companies are posing.  At what stage do governments allow a handful of companies to dominate a marketplace. I guess we are going to find out in the next few years. 

• 2 months later...

The weird cunt has just flown out to ‘space’ so obviously he’s having a press conference where they receive their space wings in an award ceremony for a thing they paid for, mad.

I’ve seen some sell absorbed shite in my life before, but this is obscenely lacking in self awareness.

He just told Amazon customers and staff they paid for this, I’m sure they’re thrilled you big weird goon.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

The weird cunt has just flown out to ‘space’ so obviously he’s having a press conference where they receive their space wings in an award ceremony for a thing they paid for, mad.

I’ve seen some sell absorbed shite in my life before, but this is obscenely lacking in self awareness.

He just told Amazon customers and staff they paid for this, I’m sure they’re thrilled you big weird goon.

Zero self-awareness from the cunt. Hope Aliens catch him and stick him on a minimum wage job on the planet Zodd.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I've just seen that on the news. Ridiculous. I can't remember seeing anything more cringeworthy than that. 

Embarrassing.

9 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

It's a psychological phenomenon, can't remember what it's called but they were talking about Putin and saying they get to the point where they're so powerful they think they're basically omniscient. That's why they tend to get obsessed with germs and God because they think they're the only ones who can stop them.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's a psychological phenomenon, can't remember what it's called but they were talking about Putin and saying they get to the point where they're so powerful they think they're basically omniscient. That's why they tend to get obsessed with germs and God because they think they're the only ones who can stop them.

I'd walk around like Homelander if I was that rich...

Hollywood-Insider-The-Boys-Homelander.png

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

It called the hubris syndrome.

’Symptoms of the Hubris Syndrome

1. World view. The leader considers the world to be a place for self-glorification, and he uses power to achieve this.
  2. Messianic mission. The leader shows messianic zeal and personal praise in his or her speech, and may merge his or her identity with that of the nation or the organization he or she represents.
  3. Accountability. The leader feels he or she is only accountable to a higher court, such as the court of history, or the court of God. He or she also believes that this higher court will vindicate the leader.
  4. Manner of speech. The leader may speak in third person, or use “we” in conversation, just as the royals do.
  5. Contempt for others. Ordinarily one feels anger toward an equal. But the leader with hubris syndrome often feels contempt, which is reserved for people he or she believes is his or her inferior, especially when the person criticizes or tries to advise the leader. People with the hubris syndrome know that they are important and powerful, and they thrive in this and may even elevate it to grandiose proportions.
  6. Image is all. This leader tends to do things or actions mainly to enhance his or her personal image. In fact, concern for outward appearance and presentation is disproportionate in terms of priorities.
  7. Impetuosity. People with hubris syndrome can be very charming, persuasive, inspiring, and bold. But if they are also impetuous, i.e., they refuse to listen to or take advice, all of the above is useless. If this person has achieved a position of power and acquired the hubris syndrome, he will negate the good qualities he or she has and may behave recklessly and impulsively.
  8. Thin skin. This person cannot withstand public scrutiny, back stabbing, and attacks by opponents. He or she will need a form of self-exultation and may do this by adopting a grand feeling of mission and importance.
  9. Loses touch with reality. The leader is no longer in touch with the real world. He or she will permit moral rectitude to preclude practicality, regardless of cost or outcome. This often results in the leader’s progressive isolation
  10. Unaffected by bad outcomes. The leader is not affected by his or her failures and bad outcomes. Instead, he or she always sees his or her outcomes as successful.
  11. Exaggerated pride. The person feels overwhelmingly self-confident, bordering on self-omnipotence, and belief in what he or she can achieve. He may abuse his power to the point of damaging the lives of others. He may decide that this is an occupational hazard that comes with power and leadership.
  12. Extreme hubristic behavior. This occurs when a cluster of symptoms are triggered off by power. This is why hubris syndrome is considered an acquired condition. It only comes to light when the person comes to possess great power and overwhelming success for a period of years, with minimal to no constraints.
  13. Hubris Syndrome/personality change.The change may occur after a trauma, due to a psychiatric illness, as a result of chronic pain, or due to an unspecified type of incident.
  14. Incompetence. The result is incompetence. The person often does not pay attention to details and finds it hard to make rational decisions. Some may say he or she has “lost it” or become “mad”. The behavior change has actually occurred due to the hubris syndrome.
  15. Deflects illness. The leader will not want to admit illness, seeing it as a sign of weakness. For this reason, he or she cannot be treated or medicated, even if he or she may experience anxiety, neuroticism, and impulsivity.
  16. Drugs. The leader may take drugs, usually unsupervised by a doctor. For this reason, the drug becomes more dangerous because there is no prescription in terms of dosage, and it may be taken in combination with other substances.’

Fascinating.

While I was looking for this I found some stuff on his meetings with Merkle, she’s met him more than anybody and on record she says she really doesn’t understand him and thinks he’s mad.

• 2 months later...

I imagine every single conversation now includes this...

'“Living down here, the world and the atmosphere seem vast and they seem stable. But looking back at Earth from there, the atmosphere seems thin and the world finite. Both beautiful, both fragile.”

Slap headed fucknut, be quiet.

'Would you like a coffee, Jeff?'

'Well, now you mention it that does remined me of the time I cos played and pretended to be a space man. On the way to mission control, that's what space people call it, in case you didn't know. I was struck with a profound yearning to know what it was like to be in space and only the time it took to drink a coffee separated me from that. That's thing that will always set me apart from other humans, being a real life space man. It's beautful up there..... ad nauseam'

'Is that a yes or no, Jeff, we're pressed for time?'

'Time is not something you worry about in space... ad infinitum'

'Oh, fuck off'