You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

As Amazon Shares Fall, Jeff Bezos Is No Longer A Centi-Billionaire

Guest thanh03041993

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45053528

Online retail giant Amazon paid far less tax in the UK last year, despite seeing a jump in profits.

Amazon Services UK paid tax of £1.7m, down from £7.4m in 2016, but operating profits rose to £80m from £48m.

One reason for the lower tax bill was a rise in share-based payments for staff. Its full tax bill was £4.6m, but it has deferred paying the remaining £2.9m.

They must be pretty shit at business, because that "£80m profit" came from £1.98 billion turnover.

They must be pretty shit at business, because that "£80m profit" came from £1.98 billion turnover.

I think they are creative in hiding profits by charging different areas of the business for services, use of the name etc. That’s £80m that even the best tax lawyers in the world couldn’t hide.

• Upvote 1

I think they are creative in hiding profits by charging different areas of the business for services, use of the name etc. That’s £80m that even the best tax lawyers in the world couldn’t hide.

Yeah. There are names for those sort of tricks that always sound like deviant sexual practices, like "Double Mexican soufflé" or whatever.

Amazon and their ilk (and the press who don't prioritise these stories) are why we need a revolution. Nothing will change while these disgusting practices are allowed to continue, and there is no end in sight.

• 2 years later...

We ordered a wedding present for her mum at half past midnight last Tuesday; it arrived with her in Lytham just over 13 hours later. I don't know how anyone else is going to compete with customer service like that.

6 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

We ordered a wedding present for her mum at half past midnight last Tuesday; it arrived with her in Lytham just over 13 hours later. I don't know how anyone else is going to compete with customer service like that.

By getting people not to turn a blind eye to exploitative work practices?

The thing with Amazon is that it's ultimately not even that clever a business model.

Charge a sensible price, deliver on time and replace it without any grief if anything goes wrong. Yes there have been some very dubious practices in amongst their growth, but ultimately it's mostly built purely out of not having completely shit service.

For a long time I've been amazed at how much positive feedback I get for the stuff I sell online and how well packed the stuff I sell is and I've always felt like what I do is nothing special at all. 

But I'm intending to build a new rally car that I don't have a lot of bits for so I've been trawling ebay and slowly acquiring bits like lights and wing mirrors etc. as spares for if/when I actually start running the thing. Then I started seeing the either non existent or barely attempted packaging of other ebay sellers and now I get why people are surprised by what I do. 

The thing is it shouldn't stand out as it should be the norm but almost every business and shitty seller just joined a massive race to the bottom and decided actually serving customers doesn't matter. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yep. Even delivering on a Sunday. Bastards that they are, it's a superb basket to doorstep service. 

Jeff Bezos started selling out of his families garage. Anyone who think he doesn't deserve his wealth is definitely a glue sniffer. 

Whether he's an exploitative cunt or not is another matter entirely. 

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yep. Even delivering on a Sunday. Bastards that they are, it's a superb basket to doorstep service. 

Even returns process is smooth. Just don't mention that half the stuff returned goes straight to the landfill as testing it, sorting it, restocking as refurbished etc costs too much.

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

In a nutshell. Here you can bring the item back to Kohl's (regional department store) to return for free - you don't even need to package it.

For a project at Uni I had to do an engine simulation on an Chevy LS V8 but I couldn't find all of the inlet manifold dimensions. Someone at Uni is American, so his dad bought one from Amazon, measured it up and then dropped it off at whatever the local department store is for them to collect it as a return.

They are tax dodging fucks and treat staff like shit. But it's not hard to see why the business is thriving. 

12 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Jeff Bezos started selling out of his families garage. Anyone who think he doesn't deserve his wealth is definitely a glue sniffer. 

No one 'deserves' that level of wealth. It's obscene

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Whilst it may be sold that taxing the rich a little more, or making them pay a fair wage is communism, it is not. 

No one is saying Bezos does not deserve to be wealthy, just it would be nice to have a system where he may ONLY have 150 billion and his employees don't have to piss in a bottle. It should not be one or the other.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think the Gates foundation was born of this. At the time Gates couldn't give away money fast enough to keep the interest from outpacing donations.

Wouldn't be suprised if you are right. Exactly the point I was making that amount of wealth and the compounding effect is obscene.