You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bitcoin and other Crypto...

Spy Bee

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

They’ve all rocketed for the last week or so. I put an extra tenner in and my £60 is at £75. I fucked up by paying a few fees to sell one and buy others before I realised that you could trade them without being charged, so it should have been more really. Just had a look on there and they all seem to be crashing today. I’m gonna wait for Bitcoin to come back down a bit, put another £40 in to round it up and forget about it for a while. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

The arse appears to have fallen out of it. Each and every crypto currency is in a race to the bottom. 

Not according to the myriad of emails I get on a daily basis. I'm so convinced it's my way to the top of the financial ladder, I'm going to stop sending funds to some stranger in Africa who's promised me untold wealth if I help him to access millions of pounds and go all in on bitcoin instead.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Not according to the myriad of emails I get on a daily basis. I'm so convinced it's my way to the top of the financial ladder, I'm going to stop sending funds to some stranger in Africa who's promised me untold wealth if I help him to access millions of pounds and go all in on bitcoin instead.

If you’re happy to sit there and watch as I become a billionaire then that’s your prerogative. 

21 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Whoever could have imagined that these fake currencies with no intrinsic value and nothing but smoke and mirrors to support them would collapse into worthlessness?

The thing is though, it’ll bottom out shortly and then steadily rise again. There’s easy money to made if you’ve got any idea what you’re doing. Unfortunately I haven’t. I should have got out with my £13 profit but now I’ve got to wait for it to rise again. In the meantime I’m selling my car and my TV so I’ve got the cash ready to hit the jackpot. 

11 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The UK is a multi trillion dollar economy; sterling represents, at least in part, the value of all the goods and services we produce in this country, backed up by a pretty hefty central bank.

But not backed up by gold any more & print more of it whenever they choose to devalue the currency. It's obviously miles more stable than BTC at the moment, but that underpinnings are no stronger and it might well not always be that way.

All currency depends to some extent on people believing that it has value, but there is something "real" about hard currency. So you might mow someone's lawn and get £20, and that money represents the value of your labour; then you buy a pub lunch with the money, so you're essentially trading the value of your labour for the value of the food and the labour of the person who produced it. This is the problem with cryptocurrency as I see it, which is that it doesn't even pretend to represent anything tangible.

Fair comments as a generic critique. BTC has also become a store of value, as it's not regularly traded... people just know that the long term trend is upward. XRP which is pretty corporate owned is really efficient and fast for payments, so that could have some long term value, but then just because the protocol is effective, that doesn't necessarily give the coins value. There's a lot of nuance, but in the long term, all currency will likely be digital in one way or another, and if you can back a winner, there is probably a lot of money to be made.