You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bitcoin and other Crypto...

Spy Bee

A vast amount of XRP is owned by the devs that could dump on everyone at any given moment, how is that remotely safe? 30x seems complete fantasy that’s around a trillion dollars, the market cap at this moment is what, around $275 billion for the entire crypto space. Even 10x is optimistic at best.

That’s not to say that there is no money to be made in this, but simply HODL’ing is dangerous, especially if you got in this year. You’d be better off trading it if you know what you are doing. The charts show its pump and dump tendencies.

The whole crypto market cap will increase exponentially. I might be wrong, but I'd be happy to revisit this post in a year and discuss it.

Look at what has happened in the last year: https://coinmarketcap.com/charts/

Now investment banks are getting involved... this thing is only just warming up.

I think the escrow feature takes care of the other concern. I think it will be overlooked by most investors. 

The whole crypto market cap will increase exponentially. I might be wrong, but I'd be happy to revisit this post in a year and discuss it.

Look at what has happened in the last year: https://coinmarketcap.com/charts/

Now investment banks are getting involved... this thing is only just warming up.

I think the escrow feature takes care of the other concern. I think it will be overlooked by most investors.

Yeah I don’t doubt that the space will grow over time, but at what rate is anyone’s guess at this point and is not worth trying to predict.

It’s one of the few coins that’s seems to have made it into the mainstream with casual investors who buy in and cash out on a whim, not exactly conducive to a good HODL’ing strategy.

Being an institutional coin doesn’t exactly feel me with any confidence either, they will only look to exploit it for their own gains.

Who knows. I’ll be steering clear, if what you say is true then 30x will be small time compared to some of the other coins out there. This past month has been a real reality check, so I remain skeptical.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-02-15/bitcoin-tests-10k-mysterious-crypto-trader-dip-buys-400-million

According to BitInfoCharts, a mysterious buyer with a Bitcoin address of 3Cbq7aT1tY8kMxWLbitaG7yT6bPbKChq64 purchased an astronomical amount of bitcoins worth $344,000,000 at a blended cost basis around $8,400 from 02-09-18 through 02-12-18. In total, this Bitcoin whale doubled down adding nearly 41,000 coins for a new total of 96,000 coins worth somewhere around $900,000,000 at today’s price ($9,400).

Bitcoin back over $10.000 again. Up about 25% over the past week. Interesting to see will it now crash again when people start cashing in, or will the growth and stability last.

The lure of a killer profit should hold it (growth) steady for a while.

df9a1a031ca0805fc4bc212d5689f7f2.jpg

2018 Blockchain Industry Report.

Paraphrased by Peter Bergstrom.

1. This is not your father's investment bubble

This marks the first time in recent memory average people have been ahead of the so-called "smart money" – another indication that cryptocurrencies are the most interesting story worldwide in finance and economics.

2. The market has significantly diversified

In January 2017, bitcoin’s value represented over 90 percent of the cryptocurrency market. Ethereum had a developer following, but its trade volumes were still small. But when its first "killer app," the ERC-20 smart contract to generate tokens and ICOs, began to gain traction in Q2 2017, the whole story changed.

3. Ethereum continues to set all-time transaction records

Whimsical though it may be, CryptoKitties helped paint a full picture of ethereum's current capabilities.

4. Korea fills the void left by China

In September China banned ICOs and shut down bitcoin exchanges. South Korea, then, became an important cryptocurrency trading hub in Q3 and Q4 – taking up much of the void left by China.

5. ICOs were big, but forks and airdrops were much bigger

Forks and airdrops come with a built-in user base (generally bitcoin HODLers) and were much more significant to the overall market cap in cryptocurrencies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

What is the best platform to buy XRP coin ? Ideally somewhere you can pay via Paypal or Visa.

I'm completely new to this coin malarky, I usually just buy and sell shares via my bank, but they are having none of this. 

What is the best platform to buy XRP coin ? Ideally somewhere you can pay via Paypal or Visa.

I'm completely new to this coin malarky, I usually just buy and sell shares via my bank, but they are having none of this. 

The easiest way to get money into the system is Coinbase. You then transfer to Binance, Kraken or Bitfinex to buy your XRP. I would intially buy Ethereum and then transfer to GDAX (which is free) and then to the final exchange. That's the cheapest way. 

There may now be another site taking Visa where you can buy XRP direct, but I don't know of it.

I think the tree has been shaken hard now. I don't think it will be long before the institutional money starts to flow in.

• Upvote 1

The easiest way to get money into the system is Coinbase. You then transfer to Binance, Kraken or Bitfinex to buy your XRP. I would intially buy Ethereum and then transfer to GDAX (which is free) and then to the final exchange. That's the cheapest way. 

There may now be another site taking Visa where you can buy XRP direct, but I don't know of it.

I think the tree has been shaken hard now. I don't think it will be long before the institutional money starts to flow in.

thank you, I will look into it.

Google banning all ads for Bitcoin etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/14/google-bans-bitcoin-adverts-cryptocurrency-crackdown

Google bans bitcoin adverts in cryptocurrency crackdown

Ads for cryptocurrencies, ICOs, wallets and exchanges will be blocked from June to prevent scams, following Facebook’s move in January

Samuel Gibbs

Wed 14 Mar 2018 11.29 GMT Last modified on Wed 14 Mar 2018 17.01 GMT
  • View more sharing options
Shares
 Google said will also begin blocking some gambling ads. Photograph: Pau Barrena/AFP/Getty Images

Google will ban all adverts for cryptocurrencies, including bitcoin and initial coin offerings (ICOs), as it seeks to “tackle emerging threats”.

The ad ban will come into force from June as part of a clampdown on unregulated financial products. Google’s director of sustainable ads, Scott Spencer, said in a blogpost: “We updated several policies to address ads in unregulated or speculative financial products like binary options, cryptocurrency, foreign exchange markets and contracts for difference (or CFDs).” 

Google said its ban includes cryptocurrency exchanges and wallets. The company will also begin blocking some gambling ads, such as those for services using virtual items worth real-world money, known as skins betting, as it seeks to “combat new threats and improve the ads experience online”.

The move follows similar bans made by advertising rival Facebook, which banned all cryptocurrency and ICO adverts in January after finding that many were being used to scam potential investors.

“As consumer trends evolve, as our methods to protect the open web get better, so do online scams,” said Scott. “Improving the ads experience across the web, whether that’s removing harmful ads or intrusive ads, will continue to be a top priority for us.”

Bitcoin and its cryptocurrency siblings such as ethereum have exploded in popularity over the last couple of years, fuelling a rapid growth in value peaking at just under $20,000 per bitcoin in 2017. Bitcoin was trading at around $8,800 at the time of publishing, according to data from Bitstamp.

Cryptocurrency trading has attracted scam artists as it it is unregulated, with ICOs being used to generate millions of dollars that can simply disappear along with their operators, leaving investors out of pocket.

Google said it removed more than 3.2bn ads that violated its policies in 2017, blocking what it described as the “majority of bad ad experiences”, including malvertising and phishing scams.

Google’s parent company Alphabet makes roughly 85% of its revenue from advertising. It is estimated to bring in more than $40bn in ad revenues over the course of 2018, almost half the entire global $94bn market, beating Facebook, which earns $22bn, into second place.

Meanwhile, UK-based cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase became the first to link up with a major bank, gaining an e-money licence from the Financial Conduct Authority and opening a bank account with Barclays to facilitate Faster Payments. 

The move will give users the “comfort of knowing transactions are subject to more stringent legal requirements around financial crime and the segregation of customer’s money, which can only be good news,” said Bradley Rice, senior regulation lawyer at law firm Ashurst.

The party is well and truly over for now. Any moron could have made money in that November - January bull run. I actually find the whole thing very interesting regardless, so will be sticking it out until the end. More pain to come I'd imagine.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/michael-owen-to-launch-own-crypto-coin-36730055.html

**Own Coin** shudders...

Global Crypto Offering Exchange is attempting to capitalise on the intersection of avid fan bases - sport and cryptocurrencies - to grab investor dollars in the frenzied initial coin offering space.

The company has teamed up with ex-Liverpool and England football star Michael Owen to issue a cryptocurrency in his name - the Own coin. Owen joins boxing veteran and Philippines Senator Manny Pacquiao as investors and issuers of celebrity tokens with the exchange.

"You have to be brave and sometimes put faith in things," Owen said in an interview in Hong Kong, when asked about investing in still-new cryptocurrencies, which some have derided as worthless.

The tokens will be usable to buy merchandise or make donations to charities chosen by the athletes, as well as for personalised interactions with them.

The launch date for the Own will come next quarter, and it will also be connected to soccer training centres and tutorial programmes Owen is developing, according to the Singapore-based Global Crypto Offering Exchange.

The party is well and truly over for now. Any moron could have made money in that November - January bull run. I actually find the whole thing very interesting regardless, so will be sticking it out until the end. More pain to come I'd imagine.

I think we're bottoming out now. I know Investment Banks are opening crypto desks between now and June, so I think the price has been manipulated to get the prices as low as possible prior to the next wave. 

What I am basically saying is that now is the time to buy, imho, dyor etc.