You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bitcoin and other Crypto...

Spy Bee

21 minutes ago, Charles Penrose said:

Come payday I’ll just buy more and do so every month thereafter. 

Good luck.

Regulations from China, the US, and inevitably the rest of the world, plus the fact that crypto is founded on thin air makes this a very risky investment.

I wish you the best, but please only use cash you can afford to lose.

3 hours ago, Charles Penrose said:

I’ll certainly be staying away from hype coins but ones with real utility aren’t going away. I trust a few of the alt coins more than Bitcoin to be honest. 

What are the ones with real utility?

I'll keep buying anyhow. Crypto is too big now to disappear. Any of the following are in my 'less than expert level' opinion real-world, worthwhile projects, epecially those in the Web 3.0 space. Like Betamax  vs Vhs though, some of these will fail so it's just about taking a punt and hoping for the best.

Ethereum - might it actually get closer to Bitcoin eventually? I'll keep buying to be in a good position for the next charge. 

Cardano 

Loopring 

Polkadot 

Chainlink 

Ankr 

Algorand 

Stellar Lumens 

*This is not financial advice. The value of your investments may rise and fall and are subject to large amounts of market volatility. You could end up with a crusty wrist from cry-wanking.*

23 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I am on the Ethereum Classic train. 

So far I have been able to triple my holdings while losing half of my upfront. So...uh...

Yeerrrss. That’s what it’s all about! 

I’ve got a couple of grand set aside from matched betting and I’m seriously thinking of banging it into my Coinbase account. Keep talking myself in and out of it. Doesn’t help that Coinbase hit you with fees simply for depositing cash into the app and then again when you buy into a coin. And again when you sell them!

5 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Yeerrrss. That’s what it’s all about! 

I’ve got a couple of grand set aside from matched betting and I’m seriously thinking of banging it into my Coinbase account. Keep talking myself in and out of it. Doesn’t help that Coinbase hit you with fees simply for depositing cash into the app and then again when you buy into a coin. And again when you sell them!

#ipo

Luna and the Terra ecosystem look like they have the potential to be adopted worldwide. Already used for 7% of payments in Korea IIRC, so its use case is being proved.

Also I bought at $15 and it dropped to $4 in this crash. All price predictions were about $1000 next bull run so if you bought now you could see huge returns in 4 years.

From the Coindesk event ‘Consensus’ -

Deep dives on the panelists

Of Keynote

Ray%20Dallio.jpg

Ray Dalio, a legend of the hedge fund industry, has been critical of Bitcoin even while his competitors buy it up as an inflation hedge. In this essay, CoinDesk looks at how Dalio’s investment strategy, thoughts about money and credit and personal philosophy may make him more amenable to a hard-money, digital asset like bitcoin than he may be willing to admit. Dalio is headlining the first day Consensus. Sign up here

Ray Dalio, Wall Street’s ‘Oddest Duck,’ Shares the Bitcoin Mind

Much of Ray Dalio’s investment philosophy may already sound familiar to the hardest of hard-nosed bitcoiners. It’s a point worth raising, considering Dalio’s long-standing view that bitcoin is bubble-prone and a possible target for government sanctions.

The founder of what’s regularly called the world’s largest hedge fund by assets, Bridgewater Associates, which runs algorithmic strategies for mega-corporations, sovereign wealth funds and state pension plans, takes a macro view of global finance. And much of its success, Dalio says, lies in the founder’s heterodox view of money and credit.

“Most of what people think is money is really credit, and it does disappear. As implied by this, a big part of the deleveraging process is people discovering that much of what they thought was their wealth isn’t really there,” Dalio wrote in a 2008 blog post, titled “How the Economic Machine Works and How It Is Reflected Now,” during the height of the financial crisis and updated in 2011.

Bitcoiners, by contrast, in the extreme, believe fiat money – or money that has value because it’s backed by state authority – is illusory. Bitcoin is a monetary framework created as an alternative to a system where the Federal Reserve can print endlessly and private banks can increase the money supply by issuing loans. Bitcoin is a machine with brakes.

Dalio saw how the economic machine could malfunction. As early as 2006 he diagnosed a financial system buoyed by money printing and reliant on highly-leveraged positions for returns. Debt exceeded income. His firm calculated there was some $839 billion in bad debt in the U.S. that could implode, a figure he took to the U.S. Treasury Department in early 2007 as an unheeded siren’s song.

What’s more, Dalio figured that heavily indebted countries only had one way out of the hole: printing more money to finance their public and private debts. Beyond devaluing the currency, money printing would drive down interest rates and force investors into safer, hedge assets.

“There hasn’t been a case in history where they haven’t eventually printed money and devalued their currency,” he told the New Yorkerin 2011. (A sentence that could have been uttered by crypto doyen Meltem Demirors.)

Bridgewater’s flagship Pure Alpha fund (named for the rate money earns above normal market returns) positioned itself defensively ahead of the 2008 crisis. It went long on Treasury bonds, shorted the dollar and bought gold and other commodities.

When the housing market collapsed, Bridgewater did more than weather the ensuing crisis. Pure Alpha returned about 9.5% in 2008, 45% in 2010 and 23% in 2011 – years when the average hedge fund may have been in the red. Its assets under management (AUM) doubled to $100 billion in 2011 from $50 billion at the beginning of the meltdown.

Dalio wasn’t alone in his views about monetary excess. Around the same time Bridgewater was shorting the dollar, Satoshi Nakamoto was coding Bitcoin. Its first block contained Bitcoin’s mission statement: “The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks.” Lo and behold, the world’s first digital, hard-capped financial network.

Once called “Wall Street’s oddest duck,” Dalio’s heterodox views have maintained his fund’s prime position. The $150 billion fund routinely beats market expectations in an industry where higher funds are hardly guaranteed. (It should be said, Dalio isn’t always bearish on the U.S. dollar.) Meanwhile, bitcoin, a whole other financial beast, was the best-performing asset of the past decade, with annualized returns of 230%.

What then might explain the odd duck’s pessimism on bitcoin?

Dalio, who declined to comment for this article, considers himself a “hyperrealist,” or someone determined to understand the underlying mechanisms driving the world. He reads history, is skeptical of emotionally tinged thinking and sees evolutionary patterns across society. Investing, like wild game hunting, is a risky, zero-sum business – but one for which you could prepare to gain an edge.

His “Principles,” a book of about 300 hard-learned lessons and aphorisms, sometimes called the “Tao of Dal,” advocates for “radical transparency.” Every Bridgewater recruit is to read and internalize the message: the world is comprehensible, and some people can be more right than others. Meetings are recorded and reviewed. Underlings, reportedly, are encouraged to speak up against their supervisors – just not behind their backs. (Dalio famously punched his first real boss in the face.)

It’s this commitment to the truth-finding process that may have opened Dalio’s eyes to bitcoin. He turned to Reddit and Twitter to get lessons in finance. In the past several months, Dalio has gone on record saying there are inflationary forces afoot and the traditional financial system is edging on bubble territory. And despite previously saying bitcoin failed as an inflation hedge, he now says that “bitcoin won’t escape our scrutiny” for a new alt-cash fund.

On 24/05/2021 at 01:03, Captain Turdseye said:

AND THEY’RE STILL TANKING. I COULD HAVE HAD HUNDREDS MORE. 

GET IN. 

I decided on an ‘all in’ approach overnight, but went with MKR. Saw Stellar doing very well though. They both solidly out performed some bigger fish (MKR still up 63% I type this, but I got out at 81% and went to DAI stable)

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

One day a couple of bad tweets from certain prominent people added to the announcements of crypto regulations and it could all turn into the bank run from hell

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/crypto-news-bitcoin-price-tether-b1852480.html

And then we the enthusiasts can finally get BTC or an ETH at a quid a piece, as well as other great bargains.