You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bitcoin and other Crypto...

Spy Bee

When I first got into this my target was to spend 500 and when I'd doubled it, take my initial investment out and just have a bit of interest in it. I've not lost anything and have a small amount accumulated now, but let's be honest - it's a whole heap of shite. The only value I see is if it's seen as a digital gold. If that's the case then there's only one winner - Bitcoin, and the rest are just waiting to be liquidated. 

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

image.png

I have some on Kucoin and some on TradeOgre. On Tradeogre you'll need to send funds to the exchange to buy, but I like it as an exchange.

D’oh, I went Bittrex. Should I start looking at Lamborghini brochures now and maybe this time in two years I can buy a brochure 

1 hour ago, _______________ said:

D’oh, I went Bittrex. Should I start looking at Lamborghini brochures now and maybe this time in two years I can buy a brochure 

I reckon you'll be able to buy photographs at least, maybe even a driving experience. All depends how much you put in of course.

It seems like USDT and USDC are both likely to be inspected by Sec, and are not really underpinned by anything. Haven (XHV) is an algorithmically backed stable coin, but is also entirely private. Market cap currently about $45m, which is miles away from USDT and USDC. I think you've got to be looking at a $1bn market cap being reasonable, which would give you a nice 22x your investment. It could of course go to $24bn like USDT.

It also might die on it's arse.

This is not financial advice, invest what you can afford to lose.

59 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I reckon you'll be able to buy photographs at least, maybe even a driving experience. All depends how much you put in of course.

It seems like USDT and USDC are both likely to be inspected by Sec, and are not really underpinned by anything. Haven (XHV) is an algorithmically backed stable coin, but is also entirely private. Market cap currently about $45m, which is miles away from USDT and USDC. I think you've got to be looking at a $1bn market cap being reasonable, which would give you a nice 22x your investment. It could of course go to $24bn like USDT.

It also might die on it's arse.

This is not financial advice, invest what you can afford to lose.

I got to ETH the other day. Doing quite nicely isn’t it. 

As far as XHV is concerned, I downloaded KuCoin but have absolutely no idea how to buy anything! Do I have to use Bitcoin or ETH to pay for it transferring some to KuCoin from my Coinbase wallet?

13 hours ago, Charles Penrose said:

It seems a bit more complicated than just joining an exchange to me. I was hoping I could just go and buy some with cash but seemingly not so. I’ve been fiddling around with KuCoin for ages and can’t understand any of it!

Kucoin is a bit more complicated that TradeOgre. On KuCoin you need to do your KYC (Know Your Customer) first. This involves sending a selfie and a picture of your passport. It's quite straight forward. Then send some BTC there and go to the BTC/XHV market and just buy XHV.

Trade Ogre is easier, like I said and you don't need to do KYC immediately.

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

On Kucoin the market is USDT/BTC actually.

On TradeOgre it's BTC/XHV

I’ll try and do KuCoin then. I’ll buy some USDT and then have a dabble trying to do an exchange for XHV. It’s the buy page on the app that throws me a bit. Spot/Margin/Fiat etc. I’d just want to get the best possible trade price at the time I want to buy it. Even the limit/amount boxes were giving me grief yesterday! 

3 minutes ago, Charles Penrose said:

I’ll try and do KuCoin then. I’ll buy some USDT and then have a dabble trying to do an exchange for XHV. It’s the buy page on the app that throws me a bit. Spot/Margin/Fiat etc. I’d just want to get the best possible trade price at the time I want to buy it. Even the limit/amount boxes were giving me grief yesterday! 

Spot, then top right go to old version (1.0) and you can then search for XHV. All features won't be visible until you have completed KYC. That takes about 24 hours for them to approve.

On 29/11/2017 at 14:45, Spy Bee said:

I think it's too late to hope for incredible gains now, but you could still double your money or more quite quickly. If you want a bigger return, look at Litecoin or Cashaa I reckon.

I was going to sell my ICO sharing in this last week. It was only worth about $75 (2 centre per coin), but before I sold I thought I'd have a quick look at it. Checked out the Telegram Groups and there seemed to be quite a buzz. I sold my ZIL and bought more CAS. It's gone from 2 centrs to nearly 9 cents, and there are loads of buy orders in. It seems a really solid plan, and I think I might have got lucky with this one. Time will tell.

Defi (decentralised finance) is going to be the prevailing narrative during this run, Get in any of these coins and you will make good money this year. Checkout AAVE, SNX, YFI, COMPOUND, UNI as examples of some bigger ones, they are all on Coinbase. Depending on how deep you want to go there is real potential to make life changing amounts of money this year I firmly believe it.

You will need: 

Binance account, 
Coinbase account
A crypto wallet (Metamask or coinbase wallet)

The crypto wallet will allow you access to Uniswap, the new home of shitcoins. It's a decentralised exchange, there are others like it, but this is the market leader currently. I personally would sack off your bittrex etc they are old news. Uniswap is where the real action is. If they can fix the transaction fees on there (this is planned for V3 released due March) then it will take off big time.

If you're really want to go niche there is another concept that I think could be huge. They are called NFT's, non fungible tokens that give you sole rights to art and collectibles amongst other things. For an example check out NBA top shots, they are digital collectable cards essentially and they are racking up a fortune even though it's early days.

3 minutes ago, Gooch said:

Defi (decentralised finance) is going to be the prevailing narrative during this run, Get in any of these coins and you will make good money this year. Checkout AAVE, SNX, YFI, COMPOUND, UNI as examples of some bigger ones, they are all on Coinbase. Depending on how deep you want to go there is real potential to make life changing amounts of money this year I firmly believe it.

You will need: 

Binance account, 
Coinbase account
A crypto wallet (Metamask or coinbase wallet)

The crypto wallet will allow you access to Uniswap, the new home of shitcoins. It's a decentralised exchange, there are others like it, but this is the market leader currently. I personally would sack off your bittrex etc they are old news. Uniswap is where the real action is. If they can fix the transaction fees on there (this is planned for V3 released due March) then it will take off big time.

Forgive me ignorance but are they not all Ethereum based tokens? Would it not be better just to buy Ethereum given that it's the master of those?

7 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Forgive me ignorance but are they not all Ethereum based tokens? Would it not be better just to buy Ethereum given that it's the master of those?

The majority of them are but not all. Given the size of Defi tokens relative to Ethereum they have so much more room to grow and with that far greater returns, which is why I think it's the better play. You cant go wrong with Ethereum though it's going to do very well, its just not got that room to grow like the defi tokens do. We're still early with this Defi stuff.

It all comes down to how much you can afford to lose on pure speculation. I made money on BTC and ETH about 2 1/2 yrs ago. I say ‘made money’ but I didn’t have a lot to risk, so the gains - although big - were not going to set me up for a life of idleness. I doubled a $500 bet and got out in the nick of time.

I’m actually much more shrewd now. I’ve chopped my 15 year mortgage length in half over 5 yrs. You still can’t beat the efficiency of getting out of debt quicker.

I got over paid by work by a few hundred quid. I want to throw it into something that could potentially make a bit of money. 

Because it feels like free money in the first place I'm not going to be too arsed if I end up losing it, so I don't mind spreading it over a few risky plays and then coming back to it in a year or so. And with all the talk about cryptos and stocks I thought I might as well have a go. 

Where's the best place to start? 

12 minutes ago, Aventus said:

I got over paid by work by a few hundred quid. I want to throw it into something that could potentially make a bit of money. 

Because it feels like free money in the first place I'm not going to be too arsed if I end up losing it, so I don't mind spreading it over a few risky plays and then coming back to it in a year or so. And with all the talk about cryptos and stocks I thought I might as well have a go. 

Where's the best place to start? 

A rubbish tip in Wales. 

• Upvote 1

Can anyone here help me get a fiver's worth of doge? I have no shitty photo id and we're in the middle of a pandemic so it could take weeks to get it sorted out (I want a passport for it). I can send someone a fiver via paypal though if anyone can send to my doge address. Just message me if so and I'll log into paypal and send it over.

I have a kucoin account but I need way more than a fiver to deposit and I also don't have a credit card until a new one arrives next week.

Yes I'm new to this, and no I won't be convinced that doge isn't worth buying over something else, I have a feeling about it. I don't care if the feeling is wrong either, it's just a fiver. (if I can get money into an account to buy though I'll be storing up way more if I can.)

edit : If someone can help me either post here so that I don't have several people messaging or I'll post back to say that I've had help.