You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bitcoin and other Crypto...

Spy Bee

What would be the best way to invest in this? What site? What app?

I’ve got a few quid knocking around and wouldn’t kind a dabble. I see stories of people losing by old laptops and hard drives containing crypto and losing it? Aren’t these things as simple as managing them from a login anywhere? I haven’t got the faintest idea. 

Coinbase was the site I used.  Registration can take a while as you need to provide ID for money laundering legislation.  You’ll need passport/driving licence/credit card statement/utility bill. I’d recommend taking photos of them and uploading rather than using the webcam. Oh and you’ll need a webcam for an ID pic.  Once that’s done it’s easy.  They charge a fee for each txn and for eventually cashing out.   There’s a wallet so when you sell you don’t have to pay the fee for returning your cash to your bank or card.  

Just now, Rico1304 said:

Coinbase was the site I used.  Registration can take a while as you need to provide ID for money laundering legislation.  You’ll need passport/driving licence/credit card statement/utility bill. I’d recommend taking photos of them and uploading rather than using the webcam. Oh and you’ll need a webcam for an ID pic.  Once that’s done it’s easy.  They charge a fee for each txn and for eventually cashing out.   There’s a wallet so when you sell you don’t have to pay the fee for returning your cash to your bank or card.  

So that removes the need for me to get a separate wallet? I’ve got the Coinbase app and have a confirmed account but what happens if, for example, I lose my phone or it breaks?

14 minutes ago, Charles Penrose said:

So that removes the need for me to get a separate wallet? I’ve got the Coinbase app and have a confirmed account but what happens if, for example, I lose my phone or it breaks?

I think so.  It’s a website so as long as you retain your email you can use it on any device (when using a device for the first time there’s an authentication email sent which you’ll need to click through). 

Edit: some of the features, like changing email can only be done through the website, not the app) 

On 29/11/2017 at 14:36, Rico1304 said:

I’m going to get a couple of hundred quids worth. Take that as a sign to get your money out immediately. Maybe they’ll take my last minute.com shares as payment. Or the Centrica shares I’ve bought at £2.

Ha - centrica shares are 46p!!!

12 hours ago, Charles Penrose said:

What would be the best way to invest in this? What site? What app?

I’ve got a few quid knocking around and wouldn’t kind a dabble. I see stories of people losing by old laptops and hard drives containing crypto and losing it? Aren’t these things as simple as managing them from a login anywhere? I haven’t got the faintest idea. 

There are crypto mutuals available through regular brokers.

16 hours ago, Liverpool lad said:

Any tips on this?

Can do spares for assistance

Be like me and never regret missed opportunities. I certainly dont regret the times I didnt invest the price of a cheap night on the lash on a fuck load of satoshi back in 2012, current value upwards of £500,000. Thankfully I hadnt heard of Bitcoin back in 2010 cos at the risk of a few quid I'd now have that much money I'd probably have to be a fucking tory. Lucky escape.

• Upvote 1