You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 1 Chelsea 1 (Nov 25 2017)

tlw content

chelseareport1.jpg

It’s frustrating to not be able to hold onto another lead but much of the reaction to this result seems excessive to me. We played pretty well against a good team, and fortune went against us in the way we conceded late on. It was partly self-inflicted, but there’s no denying that bad luck played a part this time. The capitulation against Sevilla was a disgrace, but this was completely different.

Is there any other set of fans that subject their players to the level of scrutiny and micro-analysis that we do? I include myself in that by the way, I’m not slinging mud here as we all do it. I just think sometimes we need to maybe take a step back and add some perspective. We drew with Chelsea. The sky is not falling in because of that and although it never feels good when you have the points snatched away so late, there was a lot to be pleased about. 

Are Chelsea fans going mad about only drawing with Liverpool? Are they forensically going through the goal they conceded and apportioning blame on individuals like we do every time we concede? Maybe they are, I’m not involved in that community so I don’t know for sure, but the only fans I see who are as reactionary and judgemental as us, is Arsenal. 

I'm not telling people what to think, and God knows at times I've gone off one after bad results and may have over-reacted. It stems from the frustration of 27 years without a title and it's understandable. But I dunno, I just think maybe it's becoming unfair at times? 

We just drew with Chelsea, not Chester. We’ve only lost two games all season (three if you count the second string being beaten in the league cup) and although there are problems that need fixing, I do feel like sometimes we are over-reacting a touch, and this is one of those times. 

Drawing with Watford or Newcastle is one thing, being held by Chelsea is another. We’re supposed to beat Watford and Newcastle and being pissed off when we don’t is perfectly natural, but in what world do we have the sense of entitlement to think we should be beating Chelsea? Of course we are capable of beating them and we almost did, but it’s not something we have a right to expect. We could just as easily have lost, because they're a good team. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for THREE MONTHS.

• Upvote 2

I didn't quite see the Wijnaldum substitution the same way. It looked like we were open down the left all game - Zappacosta was aside from Hazard the main threat. Moreno was getting drawn inside a lot to cover the extra men they had coming through the middle, which gave Zappacosta a lot of space. He had a good dig in the first half and there were a couple of crosses in the second half which should have been converted.GW made it a lot tighter down that side.

I thought a point against the Champions, given that it was pretty much their first team, and the players they were able to bring on, was a decent result. It was a poxy goal though and I can't stand Willian.

I thought Azpilicueta was very good - much better than I realised.

Regarding the farcical situation with the substitution, that is another area where game management comes in. Our players are always glancing towards the coaches in the technical area anyway, getting instructions etc, so they can see when we're trying to bring a player on. Instead of keeping the ball alive but consistently surrendering possession and dropping deep, or needlessly conceding free kicks in our own half (it's considered a jinx to make a substitution when defending a set piece), do a Hamann/Alonso and buy a cheap free kick to take the pressure off, kill the opposition's momentum, earn a few precious seconds of respite and make the necessary change during the stoppage. Other teams get their players to go down 'injured' against us all the time, yet we basically never do that ourselves. It's a shithouse move no doubt, but necessary on the odd occasion (not in every game like Mourinho's teams do).

Guest Pistonbroke

I think the reaction of some is down to the fact we din't lose again. Certain fans just love to stick the boot in, being as we've only lost twice in the league this season, to City and Spurs, us drawing is the new defeat for them. 

Predictable result with Kante in their side, but surprised Conte has not had more criticism for his approach to the game. A midfield 3 of Drinkwater, Kante and Bakayoko (the latter of whom looks awful) was very unnecessary given our own pedestrian trio. Can only assume he expected Mane + Firminho were playing. Add 1 of Willian/Pedro to Hazard & Morata and we could have been in a lot of trouble that first half. 2nd half we improved, but ropey again when their changes came.

Not enough quality in the ranks. But that's to be expected. You get what you pay for.

A draw was a fair result in the end,it was a good job Conte came for a draw because in all honesty if they had played a more offensive team from the off they would have beaten us with how shit our midfield played.

Defo on the mig that goal,he jumps to early with hardly any spring.

With regards to the scrutiny of the players and the goals we concede I hope to god the day doesn’t come when I don’t feel the need to do this because if you don’t then what’s the fuck’n point

chelseareport1.jpg

It’s frustrating to not be able to hold onto another lead but much of the reaction to this result seems excessive to me. We played pretty well against a good team, and fortune went against us in the way we conceded late on. It was partly self-inflicted, but there’s no denying that bad luck played a part this time. The capitulation against Sevilla was a disgrace, but this was completely different.

Is there any other set of fans that subject their players to the level of scrutiny and micro-analysis that we do? I include myself in that by the way, I’m not slinging mud here as we all do it. I just think sometimes we need to maybe take a step back and add some perspective. We drew with Chelsea. The sky is not falling in because of that and although it never feels good when you have the points snatched away so late, there was a lot to be pleased about. 

Are Chelsea fans going mad about only drawing with Liverpool? Are they forensically going through the goal they conceded and apportioning blame on individuals like we do every time we concede? Maybe they are, I’m not involved in that community so I don’t know for sure, but the only fans I see who are as reactionary and judgemental as us, is Arsenal. 

I'm not telling people what to think, and God knows at times I've gone off one after bad results and may have over-reacted. It stems from the frustration of 27 years without a title and it's understandable. But I dunno, I just think maybe it's becoming unfair at times? 

We just drew with Chelsea, not Chester. We’ve only lost two games all season (three if you count the second string being beaten in the league cup) and although there are problems that need fixing, I do feel like sometimes we are over-reacting a touch, and this is one of those times. 

Drawing with Watford or Newcastle is one thing, being held by Chelsea is another. We’re supposed to beat Watford and Newcastle and being pissed off when we don’t is perfectly natural, but in what world do we have the sense of entitlement to think we should be beating Chelsea? Of course we are capable of beating them and we almost did, but it’s not something we have a right to expect. We could just as easily have lost, because they're a good team. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for THREE MONTHS.

Load of shite.

• Upvote 2