You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shankly: Nature,s Fire

Priory Doctor

I was in Scotland the other week,and this film was on BBC Scotland. It's a 90 minute film, well worth a watch to any football fan, but particularly to you lot.

Don't know if it's been shown yet in England, but it's on the BBC i Player in England now

Apologise if it's already been mentioned-I couldn't see a thread about it.

• Upvote 4

Yeah,it was good, bit cringy in places. Just a small irritation though, Peter Hooton gets on my tits. Any Liverpool related documentary and he's there. He's in the new Kenny film too. He gets on my tits almost as much as Dave Kirby.

Have to disagree nobody and I mean nobody is more irritating than Dave Kirby

• Upvote 3

I watched it. Found it quite emotional and powerful but nothing I didnt know already however some of the archive footage was good. The way the director's handled the post resignation situation was disgraceful looking back.

What a man he was.

Was quite emotional when St John was reminiscing and he was holding back the tears. The club certainly didn't handle it well, suppose it was understandable in a way regarding Sir Bob but they certainly could and should have offered him something within the Club.

I've just watched it this afternoon.

As someone who is down on the club in general these days and think they just treat us like a bunch of mugs it really emphasises just how far from what we used to be we are.

Not so much the fact we don't win anything anymore, just the total disconnect between the supporters and the club.

It's gone, dead, done and dusted. 

• Upvote 2

I've just watched it this afternoon.

As someone who is down on the club in general these days and think they just treat us like a bunch of mugs it really emphasises just how far from what we used to be we are.

Not so much the fact we don't win anything anymore, just the total disconnect between the supporters and the club.

It's gone, dead, done and dusted.

We are the Norwegian Blue Parrot.

• Upvote 1

Being of a certain age and having lived through at least part of the time he managed us, it goes without saying I absolutely idolised the man. I had the pleasure of meeting him on one occasion too and he easily lived up to expectations.

So I don't say the following lightly. 

Basically, although I agree the club should have found a way to accommodate him after he quit, I'm not sure what a role that would have satisfied him could possibly have been.

He made 2 mistakes imo.

1. He quit when he shouldn't have. It was too soon and he still had loads to offer and I'm sure he realised this pretty quickly.

2. Turning up at  Melwood from day one the following season after he quit.

How someone with his experience and all round football knowledge could have thought that this wouldn't have been a problem, especially for Bob Paisley, is hard to understand. He was also big on psychology, so probably should have realised how his presence could have fucked with the heads of the players, players who still called him boss while the real boss was standing a few yards away. 

Imagine how long he would have put up with it himself if they were calling someone else boss when he was in charge. A nano-second perhaps?

Of course he didn't mean it that way but Bob must have felt undermined by this situation.

As for any potential future role, well by turning up at Melwood the way he did, plus by his bits and bobs of involvement with other clubs later on (I think Wrexham and Tranmere spring to mind if I'm remembering it correctly) he would have seen any such suitable role as being hands on, with plenty of involvement with the players. 

For the reasons already stated, this would have been very difficult.

I'm pretty sure he would seen anything else as him accepting charity, with them inventing some non existent job just to keep him at the club and there's no way he would have done that.

So as I said, I'm sure there could/should have been a role for him, I'm not sure what a suitable one would have been and it was a difficult situation for the club.

It was just so sad the way it ended really and, that he felt a degree of resentment to a club that he loved and that he probably took that resentment/regret to the grave.

• Upvote 1

As for any potential future role, well by turning up at Melwood the way he did, plus by his bits and bobs of involvement with other clubs later on (I think Wrexham and Tranmere spring to mind if I'm remembering it correctly) he would have seen any such suitable role as being hands on, with plenty of involvement with the players.

For the reasons already stated, this would have been very difficult.

Yep, he was desperate to get back into management, so much so that when Everton sacked Billy Bingham, he let them know he was interested in taking over.

I think the club, ultimately, did the best thing as we went on to be hugely successful by making a clean break with Shankly. 

It might seem harsh, but he probably coined the phrase 'nobody is bigger than the club'.

Also, as it was pointed out in the documentary, Utd, suffered from Busby hanging over their subsequent managers and undermining them, albeit unknowingly.

• 7 months later...