You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sevilla (a) CL - Match Thread

Bjornebye

Always in the interviews afterwards they go on about looking at the positives and learning from the negatives.

They must have some some pretty severe learning disabilities because after all these years they've still learned fuck all and still making the exact same mistakes.

You’re underestimating them mate. Our players have learned so much from failure, they’ve got PhD’s in it now

Were we though? I thought we were extremely lucky going in at 3-0 after the chances we had given away and we hardly touched the ball. That 2nd half was coming from minute 1.

We were playing brilliant counter attacking football in that first half. The second half we should have closed that game out. At times we had 2 or 3 players around a Sevilla player on the floor but somehow the Sevilla player managed to play the ball to a white shirt. How does that happen? There is no way we should have conceeded 3 goals in 45 minutes. We conceeded two goals in 9 minutes again. You just cannot do that in top football as all the impetus is then with your opponents but how many times have we seen Liverpool do exactly that? I have seen some comments from people saying they would have took a 3-3 before kick off. Really? After our last 3 results of scoring 10 and conceeding 1?

Jurgen and his coaches need to look at their lack of game management.

Need to draw a line under this one. What’s done is done. The match gave us more evidence of what we already knew. Good going forward, but not to be trusted and prone to a bit of a collapse on occasion. It’s still in our hands so we have to look forward.

We need to sign a top notch defender in January.

Oh, and beating Chelsea at the weekend would be the perfect way to get over this.

Signing a top defender won't solve our problems. It'll help, but it won't stop us from capitulating like we did last night. The real problem last night apart from Moreno's brainfarts was what was going on in front of them. The midfield is the reason we only ended up with 1 point instead of 3.

• Upvote 1

There is not one of Henderson,Wijaldum, Can i give a shit about keeping. Makes me laugh how so many laud Can as some kind of midfield dynamo. The way some go on you'd think he was another Lothar Matthäus. He more Jorge Albertz or Thomas Hitzlsperger

Delighted. We are still favourites to top the group and we can get to laugh at all the moaning geniuses that think they know more than Klopp. Cracking game. I just love playing in Europe.

Did you change channel at half time?

Did you change channel at half time?

No, I'm able to keep things in perspective. As Jairzinho said, without better midfielder we will never be able to control games. Scoring 3 away from home to Seville is magnificent. The last time we were in the Champions League we were lining up with Lambert, Balotelli and José Enrique and got dumped at the group stage. If things ever get that bad again, that's when I'll lose my shit.

They were a much better football team than us.

We didn't deserve to be 0-3 up.  We had patches when we were on top but overall they looked much more confident on the ball in all areas of the pitch.

Our link up play was poor, and I wonder if it was because we weren't used to longer grass - we just couldn't get the right weight on the ball.

There are few teams who wouldn't take all the points from 0-3 up, but we are one.

Liverpool in the 80s?  This just wouldn't happen.

Why?  Mentality and game management.  Game management doesn't mean wasting time, it means retaining possession when needed.  Our midfield are not capable of doing that.

• Upvote 1

It’s completely on Klopp for me. It’s the one main negative about him. When things are going badly he doesn’t react quickly enough. We came out in the second half looking awful. After their first goal Moreno’s head was gone and we didn’t see any reaction from the team. He should have made those subs at that point. Once the subs were on it was too late. We were already in a “only need one chance” situation. By and large after the subs were on we defended really well. The last goal was just one of those unlucky situations. The defence had headed clear a lot of times and Lovren and Klavan defended compentently. I would have said Lovren was man of the match.

It’s not the end of the world as we should still qualify as leaders but you would be daft to think that this won’t effect the team. It only takes one result or performance for the team to hit a rut. Earlier on in the season it was attacking wise. This could be a massive blow for the confidence of the defence.

No, I'm able to keep things in perspective. As Jairzinho said, without better midfielder we will never be able to control games. Scoring 3 away from home to Seville is magnificent. The last time we were in the Champions League we were lining up with Lambert, Balotelli and José Enrique and got dumped at the group stage. If things ever get that bad again, that's when I'll lose my shit.

I'm not sure what the perspective here is. Some would argue that we didn't deserve to be three up at half time. We were and Sevilla looked completely beaten.

From the kick off of the second half, Liverpool looked like they knew what was coming. It really should have been the other way around. Whether this is on Klopp, the players or both the perspective is that we seem no further forward today than we were when we played the same team in the Europa League final.

Different players, same mentality.

I'm delighted we spanked this team in the first half but also disappointed (like most would be) that we got turned over in the second half. The perspective for me is simple : until a lot of changes are made, this team is unfortunately going nowhere fast. Hopefully these changes are made but based on the last two years, I'm not banking on it.

Unless Klopp really opens his eyes and learns how to adapt to what's happening in front of him. He's a great attacking coach but adapting to defence is not his strong suit and he needs to get better at it.

It's not on Klopp's substitutions.  You can't say he wasn't reactive.  He pulled an attacking midfielder and a suspect defender almost immediately we conceded the second.  That was decisive management.

It should have been done either at half time or at the latest after the first goal. After the second it's simply too late. He even said it in his post-match conference, as soon as the first goal went in the whole atmosphere changed. Moreno was mentally gone and it showed during the build up to the first goal. The second was proper Moreno brain fart. 

Need to draw a line under this one. What’s done is done. The match gave us more evidence of what we already knew. Good going forward, but not to be trusted and prone to a bit of a collapse on occasion. It’s still in our hands so we have to look forward.

Oh, and beating Chelsea at the weekend would be the perfect way to get over this.

We need an entirely new defence and midfield. And a striker who scores more than 1/3 clear cut chances.

In summary we are shit.

This might explain what happened to the Sevilla players :

Sevilla recovered from 3-0 down to draw with Liverpool in the Champions League after the Spanish side's head coach told his players at half-time that he has cancer, according to reports.

Spanish media claim 48-year-old Eduardo Berizzo, who took over in the summer, is suffering from prostate cancer.

The club is expected to make an official announcement on Wednesday.

Sevilla's players rushed to Berizzo after Guido Pizarro scored the equaliser in injury time.

When asked about Berizzo's health, Sevilla president Pepe Castro told Spain's COPE radio station: "Given it is a personal and difficult subject, I would prefer to wait until tomorrow."

Roberto Firminio scored twice and Sadio Mane added the third as Liverpool dominated the opening 45 minutes but their hopes of qualifying for the knockout stage with a game to spare were dashed by Sevilla's stunning second-half performance.

Wissam Ben Yedder scored with a header and a penalty in the first 15 minutes of the second half before Pizarro poked in the leveller in the third of seven added minutes.

"We had to come out with a different attitude for the fans and for the boss, he made us play like that," said Argentine international Ever Banega.

There is not one of Henderson,Wijaldum, Can i give a shit about keeping. Makes me laugh how so many laud Can as some kind of midfield dynamo. The way some go on you'd think he was another Lothar Matthäus. He more Jorge Albertz or Thomas Hitzlsperger

He absolutely shits all over Henderson though who's about as useful as a training dummy.