You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

I'll be catching up over the next fortnight. In the meantime, here's my new selection...hopefully you can get to it by clicking on the image below...

laura_mvula_pink_noise-2.jpg

Laura Mvula was ditched by her record label after releasing a number of albums that were critically acclaimed but sold poorly. The rejection almost destroyed her career as she returned to teaching music in schools until she was persuaded to try and release a new album and was joined on this album by a very surprising co-singer on one of the tracks. This was one of the keys to her returning, having his support.

The album is like a concept album of her rejection from the record label, performed in a 1980s synth wave love album. Listening to her words, they could relate either to an egotistical lover or a bullying record label.

Fat Freddy’s Drop - Blackbird

I had never heard of Fat Freddy’s Drop so nice to hear something new. 
I had a look at a few live videos and they are a very capable band.

This is a really interesting record with plenty of music styles throughout, although it doesn't quite come together in places, it's not too far off. It's laidback, upbeat and soulful in equal measure. Nice voice on the dude and it feels fairly organic despite some of the studio trickery used.

Did someone mention they could get Leftfield vibes from parts of this record? Totally get that. 

'Blackbird' - Intro up to the 1 min mark is like something lifted right off "Leftfield's: Leftism".

'Clean the House' has a motown vibe with a hip/hop bouquet. 

The laidback 'Bones' has a smart groove flowing though it and something you'd be very happy to swig a beer along to. Love the jazzy vibes from the wind instruments and the rolling bassline at the end. 

'Mother Mother' is where it gets interesting for me. Again I hear Leftfield vibes especially around the 5min mark. A patient, electronically arranged build-up leads into some great horns and a very good vocal, then the electronics take over. Excellent track.

Delighted to have listened to this. Never heard of them but I've had it on a lot as the weather has picked up and it's a nice accompaniment to the blue skies.

7.5/10

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Fat Freddy’s Drop - Blackbird

I had never heard of Fat Freddy’s Drop so nice to hear something new. 
I had a look at a few live videos and they are a very capable band.

This is a really interesting record with plenty of music styles throughout, although it doesn't quite come together in places, it's not too far off. It's laidback, upbeat and soulful in equal measure. Nice voice on the dude and it feels fairly organic despite some of the studio trickery used.

Did someone mention they could get Leftfield vibes from parts of this record? Totally get that. 

'Blackbird' - Intro up to the 1 min mark is like something lifted right off "Leftfield's: Leftism".

'Clean the House' has a motown vibe with a hip/hop bouquet. 

The laidback 'Bones' has a smart groove flowing though it and something you'd be very happy to swig a beer along to. Love the jazzy vibes from the wind instruments and the rolling bassline at the end. 

'Mother Mother' is where it gets interesting for me. Again I hear Leftfield vibes especially around the 5min mark. A patient, electronically arranged build-up leads into some great horns and a very good vocal, then the electronics take over. Excellent track.

Delighted to have listened to this. Never heard of them but I've had it on a lot as the weather has picked up and it's a nice accompaniment to the blue skies.

7.5/10

Great review that mate. Good to have you back.

• 2 weeks later...

Afrique Victime by Mdou Moctar

SOOOOooooo much to unpack on this record to my European ears. The guitar is the clearly the star of the show but how tight are the rhythm section? Brilliant throughout. I really had to pay attention when listening to this, especially to the time signature and the medieval sounding riffs, which just initially sounded alien to me but actually weren't. 

Chismiten - Opens to a burst of electric guitar that instantly grabs your attention: psychedelic, wandering and probing. Hypnotic drum pattern keeps the tempo steady right up until the around the 3 min mark when it increases subtlety into a furious guitar volley of sound. I've no idea what's happening here at times. Great opener.

Taliat - Another guitar riffs kicks this off over a slightly reggae-like groove. No idea what the dude is singing but I want to sing along.

Ya Habibti - Nice acoustic guitar intro. I'd love to know the tuning setup on this one. The polyrhythm hand claps throughout bring a lot of warmth and authenticity to the track and I like the vocal melody even though I don't understand the words. 

Tala Tannam - Sounds like an effortless psychedelic ballad. I'm starting to realise it's the repetitive nature of the songs that is keeping my attention, hypnotising me somewhat. They never get boring though.   

Untitled - Bit of filler, a sound-check for the strat. Hard to rate. 

Asdikte Akal - Transported to some time and place where I'm imaging a shit load of people on mushrooms. 
The vocals remind me of the only song I can compare this to from my limited knowledge of African music - Yéké yéké by Mory Kante.  The psychedelic guitar owning the track from about 3mins on, carried by that groovy rhythm section.

Layla - Most western sounding track to my ears - initally. Sounds like a bit of blue-grass guitar until the vocals begin. I'm picturing myself walking in the buring heat, gasping for water, and this song is the marching tune to keep me going. I like this one a lot. Great outro. 

Afrique Victime - Doesn't take a genius to realist the title track is a protest track. Proper grooving when the guitar and drums kick in. Nice to hear the many backing vocalists on this which gives it plenty of depth.  It effortlessly starts to speed up just before 3mins before taking off. This dude is some guitar player. Feels like he shouldn't be able to get a guitar to make some of these sounds. Fascinating. The track just gets faster and faster as it goes on and I'm not even thinking this guy is a wanker. Very enjoyable.

Bismilahi Atagah - Nice track that just floats along, again of a time and place I'm unfamiliar with. Nice little come-down from the previous track. 

That was interesting. It really could be summed up as unpredictable guitar playing over steady, rhythmic beats. But it's more than that.  I've no idea what the dude was saying. I will at some stage spend the time to get the English version of the lyrics but that's not important now.
The brilliance of the musicianship on show makes the lyrics totally irrelevant.

I'll give it a 7.5/10

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

SOOOOooooo much to unpack on this record to my European ears. The guitar is the clearly the star of the show but how tight are the rhythm section? Brilliant throughout. I really had to pay attention when listening to this, especially to the time signature and the medieval sounding riffs, which just initially sounded alien to me but actually weren't. 

Chismiten - Opens to a burst of electric guitar that instantly grabs your attention: psychedelic, wandering and probing. Hypnotic drum pattern keeps the tempo steady right up until the around the 3 min mark when it increases subtlety into a furious guitar volley of sound. I've no idea what's happening here at times. Great opener.

Taliat - Another guitar riffs kicks this off over a slightly reggae-like groove. No idea what the dude is singing but I want to sing along.

Ya Habibti - Nice acoustic guitar intro. I'd love to know the tuning setup on this one. The polyrhythm hand claps throughout bring a lot of warmth and authenticity to the track and I like the vocal melody even though I don't understand the words. 

Tala Tannam - Sounds like an effortless psychedelic ballad. I'm starting to realise it's the repetitive nature of the songs that is keeping my attention, hypnotising me somewhat. They never get boring though.   

Asdikte Akal - Transported to some time and place where I'm imaging a shit load of people on mushrooms. 
The vocals remind me of the only song I can compare this to from my limited knowledge of African music - Yéké yéké by Mory Kante.  The psychedelic guitar owning the track from about 3mins on, carried by that groovy rhythm section.

Layla - Most western sounding track to my ears - initally. Sounds like a bit of blue-grass guitar until the vocals begin. I'm picturing myself walking in the buring heat, gasping for water, and this song is the marching tune to keep me going. I like this one a lot. Great outro. 

Afrique Victime - Doesn't take a genius to realist the title track is a protest track. Proper grooving when the guitar and drums kick in. Nice to hear the many backing vocalists on this which gives it plenty of depth.  It effortlessly starts to speed up just before 3mins before taking off. This dude is some guitar player. Feels like he shouldn't be able to get a guitar to make some of these sounds. Fascinating. The track just gets faster and faster as it goes on and I'm not even thinking this guy is a wanker. Very enjoyable.

Bismilahi Atagah - Nice track that just floats along, again of a time and place I'm unfamiliar with. Nice little come-down from the previous track. 

That was interesting. It really could be summed up as unpredictable guitar playing over steady, rhythmic beats. But it's more than that.  I've no idea what the dude was saying. I will at some stage spend the time to get the English version of the lyrics but that's not important now.

I'll give it a 7.5/10

Great review that, I'm totally with you on the hypnotic rhythmic quality of this record. Listened to it a few more times since I posted my review and it's definitely a grower, some real ear worms.

2 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I'll give it a 7.5/10

Nice.

I put up a live clip of Moctar that is worth a watch  - the drummer is sensational.

19 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Nice.

I put up a live clip of Moctar that is worth a watch  - the drummer is sensational.

Unbelievable. Those guys are so talented. 

I doubt 17 year old me would have enjoyed that but it's a very good record. 

I had this done up ages ago and forgot to post it. 

Beastmilk - Climax

First off, what a shite name for a band. I had never heard of Beastmilk so had no idea what to expect. With only 2 tracks over 5 mins long so it looks like they ain't hanging around....

The first few seconds of 'Death Reflects Us' sounds promising. Nice and heavy. Then the dude sings. 
Not my bag to be honest. Sounds like an in-tune Ian Curtis and I'm not a fan of that tone. 

Some good tracks though and I can't fault the production on it: 

'Genocidal Crush' gives some space to the vocals which helps the listener and has a decent catchy chorus. 
'You Are Now Under Our Control' is a decent rock out. 
'Ghost out of Focus' is nicely atmospheric and I really like the drummer here. 
'Nuclear Winter' is another decent rock out but I'm not getting excited by it. 

Ultimately it felt a bit 'samey' and I was pretty bored. Mainly due to the vocalist. 

I'll give it a 5/10

• Upvote 2

Review: Laura Mvula - Pink Noise

Yet another AOW, and the latest in a very long list of artists whom I've never even heard of ...

[presses play]

Safe Passage - wow, incredibly 80's sounding, a stellar production job. I instantly get Aha, Miami Vice, Drive and Grace Jones vibes.

Like the synths. Interest piqued.

Conditional has a fabulous thick and groovy low-end. Very heavy, given flavour and colour by a vibrant chorus.

Trying to imagine the audience for this.

Church Girl is more Pointer Sisters / Hall and Oates, handclaps and synth pad snares, I really do like those synths and percussion.

Laura has a lovely voice too, is she French? Guyanan?

Probably my favourite so far.

Remedy has that in your face techno snare and more low end groove.

Another phat dance groove punctuated only by another delightful chorus.

"How many more must die, before the remedy?"

Fave so far.

Magical is slower, those synths in the background do sound great, so authentic.

Another great big chorus.

"Don't let go of the magic, giving kisses in the purple rain"

Another belting pop song.

Pink Noise has another killer bass and drum groove, synthy stabs and a rock solid dance beat.

This is a phenomenal sounding record, the mix being absolutely perfect imho.

Yet another great track.

Golden Ashes has a wonderful vocal intro, I'm sure Laura's voice has been auto-tuned here but it's not spoiling my enjoyment any.

Slower, more introspective, a mid album breather.

What Matters leads us into the home stretch and is another laid back electro pop number, with more synthy jazzy flourishes.

The guy from Biffy makes an unexpected appearance.

Got Me has another great bouncy bass line which propels along this latest poppy gem.

I'm sure I've heard half of these tracks some 40 years ago.

This has Michael Jackson stamped all over it. Fantastic.

Before The Dawn is the final song and waves of Heavenly vocals lead us into another nostalgic funky bass riff.

I'm a sucker for a big chorus and this album is absolutely chocker with them. A great way to close.

Pink Noise was an incredibly nostalgic trip for me, full of great pop songs.

Glad to be swept up and along by this cracking record on a sunny spring afternoon.

8.5/10

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Review: Laura Mvula - Pink Noise

Yet another AOW, and the latest in a very long list of artists whom I've never even heard of ...

[presses play]

Safe Passage - wow, incredibly 80's sounding, a stellar production job. I instantly get Aha, Miami Vice, Drive and Grace Jones vibes.

Like the synths. Interest piqued.

Conditional has a fabulous thick and groovy low-end. Very heavy, given flavour and colour by a vibrant chorus.

Trying to imagine the audience for this.

Church Girl is more Pointer Sisters / Hall and Oates, handclaps and synth pad snares, I really do like those synths and percussion.

Laura has a lovely voice too, is she French? Guyanan?

Probably my favourite so far.

Remedy has that in your face techno snare and more low end groove.

Another phat dance groove punctuated only by another delightful chorus.

"How many more must die, before the remedy?"

Fave so far.

Magical is slower, those synths in the background do sound great, so authentic.

Another great big chorus.

"Don't let go of the magic, giving kisses in the purple rain"

Another belting pop song.

Pink Noise has another killer bass and drum groove, synthy stabs and a rock solid dance beat.

This is a phenomenal sounding record, the mix being absolutely perfect imho.

Yet another great track.

Golden Ashes has a wonderful vocal intro, I'm sure Laura's voice has been auto-tuned here but it's not spoiling my enjoyment any.

Slower, more introspective, a mid album breather.

What Matters leads us into the home stretch and is another laid back electro pop number, with more synthy jazzy flourishes.

The guy from Biffy makes an unexpected appearance.

Got Me has another great bouncy bass line which propels along this latest poppy gem.

I'm sure I've heard half of these tracks some 40 years ago.

This has Michael Jackson stamped all over it. Fantastic.

Before The Dawn is the final song and waves of Heavenly vocals lead us into another nostalgic funky bass riff.

I'm a sucker for a big chorus and this album is absolutely chocker with them. A great way to close.

Pink Noise was an incredibly nostalgic trip for me, full of great pop songs.

Glad to be swept up and along by this cracking record on a sunny spring afternoon.

8.5/10

I loved this album from the first listen and it gets better with every listen. I recently found out Biffy have released two new albums since 2020 and listening to those, his appearance on this record is all the more surprising.

1 minute ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I loved this album from the first listen and it gets better with every listen. I recently found out Biffy have released two new albums since 2020 and listening to those, his appearance on this record is all the more surprising.

The first of those 2 Biffy albums (the one with Space on it) is flipping brilliant.

I really like Simon Neil's vocals, unmistakably Scottish.

6 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

The first of those 2 Biffy albums (the one with Space on it) is flipping brilliant.

I really like Simon Neil's vocals, unmistakably Scottish.

Yep, 2020s A Celebration of Endings is just brilliant - definitely a return to 'Puzzle' Biffy. Even though 2021s The Myth of the Happily After receives higher critical acclaim, I definitely preferred the earlier of the two. Not since Manic Street Preachers have I wondered how a three piece band can make so much noise.

I've got Afrique Victim and Rejoicing in the Hands lined up to listen with my afternoon off...

Afrique Victime - Mdou Moctar

Well, this is a world tour of music. There seems to be influences from all over the world on this one. Great music playing, at times reminding me vocally of Peter Gabriel with a Tuareg language. I'd like to hear how an album between this and King Gizzard would end up and I'm actually thinking there wouldn't be much changes to either's sound. The only downside is I couldn't understand a word of it but definitely a good listen. 8/10.

Rejoicing in the Hands - Devendra Banhart

Well, this is totally different. Just him and his guitar? Or perhaps it's not even a guitar? Hints of piano too. Cool, calm and steady is order of the day here. Lay back, allow the sounds to wave over. Wouldn't have listened to this without being pointed in this direction, at times it sounded like a soundtrack to a movie or TV show. Pleasant and inoffensive, happy to give it 6.8/10.

Laura Mvula - Pink Noise

I listened to this one a few times, then got distracted by some new records, so had to give it another couple of goes to get the review juices flowing.

As CD and Shooter point out, it’s a real 80s synth sound throwback. And there’s some good fun sounds on there - the bass on track 2 in particular is pure filth, loved it.

The style reminded me a bit of Santigold too in places.

Magical in particular really sounds like a classic 80s pop song, couldn’t quite put my finger on which one. Anyway, that was probably one of my favourite tracks, along with Remedy. The mid point is definitely the high point of the album.

Unfortunately I don’t love Laura’s voice, bit too foghorn-y. And I thought the whole record was a bit lacking in melody. It’s not bad, but probably not something I’ll listen to again.

I’ll give it 6/10

I also had never heard of Simon Neil so had to google who he was. I don’t reckon I have ever heard a Biffy Clyro song. Maybe they are a UK only phenomenon?

Or I have just not been paying attention.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Laura Mvula - Pink Noise

I listened to this one a few times, then got distracted by some new records, so had to give it another couple of goes to get the review juices flowing.

As CD and Shooter point out, it’s a real 80s synth sound throwback. And there’s some good fun sounds on there - the bass on track 2 in particular is pure filth, loved it.

Magical in particular really sounds like a classic 80s pop song, couldn’t quite put my finger on which one. Anyway, that was probably one of my favourite tracks, along with Remedy. The mid point is definitely the high point of the album.

Unfortunately I don’t love Laura’s voice, bit too foghorn-y. And I thought the whole record was a bit lacking in melody. It’s not bad, but probably not something I’ll listen to again.

I’ll give it 6/10

I also had never heard of Simon Neil so had to google who he was. I don’t reckon I have ever heard a Biffy Clyro song. Maybe they are a UK only phenomenon?

I reckon you probably have heard a biffy song. Matt Cardle shamefully covered one on X Factor.  even if you haven’t heard any I’d put that right as quickly.

I nominate @ZonkoVille77 for next pick. Anyone second this motion?

5 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Laura Mvula - Pink Noise

I’ll give it 6/10

You might like Biffy Clyro. Some absolute bangers.

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - Polygondwanaland

I had heard of these dudes, mainly due to them giving away an album free, à la Radiohead, but never actually listened to a full album.Had a quick look at their discography and man they are prolific I'll give them that. Does the quality of their output suffer? Might need to delve deeper.

When 'Crumbling Castle' kicked off I thought, Yup, right up my street. Echoes of '15 Steps' by the aforementioned Radiohead, in tone and the 5/4 timing.

'Polygondwanaland' - the title track is a real ear worm. Excellent bit of acoustic guitar work duelling with the flute around the 2.20 mark. But then it all went a bit 'samey'. The tone of the album didn't really change much even if the bpm or time signature changes did. The only other part of the album that caught my attention was near the end of 'Deserted Dune Welcome Weary Feet' - I can see where Kasabian may have borrowed some of their later sound from. 

Overall though I thought the production was excellent, with a modern twist on 70's styling. Same 70's styling all over the lyrics and rambling synths.  Considering these guys released 4 albums in that calendar year I have to tip my hat to them. Must give their other stuff a listen because there are some definite highlights here. 

Best Tracks:
Crumbling Castle
Polygondwanaland
Loyalty
The Fourth Colour

I'll give a 6.5/10. 

• Upvote 1