You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

10 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Think it’s me, but have @ZonkoVille77, @Shooter in the Motor and @Skidfingers McGonical got any Brecker reviews first?

I need to do one. I spent the last week chasing the bairns around Centre Parcs so I've not had much time. I'll get something up before the weekend. 

So having listened to The Brecker Brothers for the third time (I listened the other morning and was still trying to work out how much of it was live due to hearing crowd noises) and I'm blown away by the level of quality here. Tight performances that if prerecorded and edited would have been a bit 'meh' but as it's live, it's pretty amazing stuff.

If this were just a studio release I wouldn't have really got anything from it, no lyrics or vocals of any kind and would have got a generous 6.5/10. But as it's pretty much all live and sounds incredible, an easy 9/10.

Alright, alright, I might change the vibe and risk a little bit of modern pop music with “Smiling with No Teeth” the debut album from Genesis Owusu.

Your man Owusu was born in Ghana but grew up in Canberra as the only African in the village.

The theme of the record, which you will soon pick up, is Two Black Dogs. One of the dogs being racism and the other being depression.

So yeah, racism and depression, doesn’t it sound fun?

Clicky: https://open.spotify.com/album/1AwxJPvM50yifnRc9wLUlM?si=BFy7UjqtRQm0ytQGn0AwVg&dl_branch=1

• Upvote 2

The Brecker Brothers - Heavy Metal Be-Bop

Never heard of these dudes so this was a welcome surprise. Shite album title.
I only recently posted somewhere that the 'Sax' was a bit of an underrated instrument so it's good to hear it in full flow here.

1 - East River: Decent grooving opener but has definitely dated. Not a bad track but quite repetetive and goes nowhere. Bass the star here for me. 

2 - Inside Out: Now we're talking. Blues/funk crossover. Some serious horn solos on offer here and the drumming is slick and technical as fuck (looked him up, Terry Bozzio - what a name, what a drummer).

3 - Some Skunk Funk: Frantic opening leading into high-speed horn blowing and jazz/rock fusion. Listen to that bass... can't help but smile. These lads are tight. This is brilliant. Best track so far.

4 - Sponge: Almost verging on Prog-Rock at times this one. Get to the hear the guitar work stand out in this track, with a 3-way duel with the 2 horns throughout. 

5 - Funky Sea, Funky Dew: A great title for a tune. A much more mellow track than the preceding tracks. The processed Sax outro is the highlight - brilliant.

6 - Squids: Bright and bouncy start with a funky bass line giving it life, before a cahnge of direction around the 1 min mark bringing salsa/latin rhythms. Not as stand-out as the previous tracks but still very good. The drumming is just sweet. 

So overall this was excellent. I hear something new every time with every musician having a chance to breathe and shine, playing as if their lives depended on it. The studio track being the weakest but the live tracks are simply stunning. 
I'd love to have seen this live. Brilliant musicians: they don't make 'em like that anymore.

This is the thing I love about the music review thread - I'd have never likely come across these guys without it. Nice one.

8.5/10

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Never heard of these dudes so this was a welcome surprise. Shite album title.
I only recently posted somewhere that the 'Sax' was a bit of an underrated instrument so it's good to hear it in full flow here.

1 - East River: Decent grooving opener but has definitely dated. Not a bad track but quite repetetive and goes nowhere. Bass the star here for me. 

2 - Inside Out: Now we're talking. Blues/funk crossover. Some serious horn solos on offer here and the drumming is slick and technical as fuck (looked him up, Terry Bozzio - what a name, what a drummer).

3 - Some Skunk Funk: Frantic opening leading into high-speed horn blowing and jazz/rock fusion. Listen to that bass... can't help but smile. These lads are tight. This is brilliant. Best track so far.

4 - Sponge: Almost verging on Prog-Rock at times this one. Get to the hear the guitar work stand out in this track, with a 3-way duel with the 2 horns throughout. 

5 - Funky Sea, Funky Dew: A great title for a tune. A much more mellow track than the preceding tracks. The processed Sax outro is the highlight - brilliant.

6 - Squids: Bright and bouncy start with a funky bass line giving it life, before a cahnge of direction around the 1 min mark bringing salsa/latin rhythms. Not as stand-out as the previous tracks but still very good. The drumming is just sweet. 

So overall this was excellent. I hear something new every time with every musician having a chance to breathe and shine, playing as if their lives depended on it. The studio track being the weakest but the live tracks are simply stunning. 
I'd love to have seen this live. Brilliant musicians: they don't make 'em like that anymore.

This is the thing I love about the music review thread - I'd have never likely come across these guys without it. Nice one.

8.5/10

Great review that mate, agree with every word of it.

6 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

the drumming is slick and technical as fuck (looked him up, Terry Bozzio - what a name, what a drummer).

Not sure if you remember the band Missing Persons but it is him, his wife and Zappa cohorts Warren Cuccurullo and Patrick O'Hearn - ridiculous virtuosity for what was an MTV new wave act.

Him, O'Hearn and Adrian Belew w Zappa - great lineup

• Upvote 1

Review : Genesis Owusu - Smiling Without Teeth

Never heard of the bloke.

[presses play]

On The Move - Black dogs on the move, dancey and very different.

Not big on the vocals.

The Other Black Dog - a better vocal, this reminds me of Gorrilaz, I mean it reminds me a lot of Gorrilaz.

Excellent production, a simple riff, this is really good.

Is that a completely different song halfway through though?

Centrefold is the next listed track, a tad slower with a big groove.

The slapback delay in the vocal really grabs my attention. Great bass. Solid track.

Waitin' On Ya - ok, this is a trip. Another heavily effect laden vocal gives way to another fat groove. Drums sound great, bass is fantastic.

The vocal isn't at 240 BPM, it's much more digestible.

For a guy singing about black dogs, this record sounds remarkably upbeat so far. Thumbs up.

Don't Need You - smooth vocal raps about more black dogs and therapy sessions.

This swings and gets the old foot tapping. Nice keys, lovely percussion and bells.

Drown - sounds like a modern take on Springsteen and Bowie, it's upbeat and veritably bounces along.

Love the descending bass line, my favourite song so far.

Really, what kind of music is this labelled as? Dance? Pop? Rap? Really good so far.

Gold Chains - drag us back to Gorrilaz, with a hint of 2nd Coming Stone Roses.

Lovely chorus, nice guitars.

The lyrics in the verses are a bit too busy for me, impressive but a touch too much.

Smiling Without Teeth - title track and the slowest song on the album yet. Reminds me a bit of Be by Lenny Kravitz.

Genesis sounds British in the spoken parts?

Don't See Colour - thuds in before the bongos lock in tight with the rap.

Spitting rhymes about race and oppression but they're so thick and fast that I miss much of it. But that's on me.

Enjoyable track.

Black Dogs! - the bass twanfs like fuck here, like Lemmy jamming with Tricky

I like the dissonant keys. There's a lot to like here and much to admire. I'm even getting Ghost Town vibes at the end .

Whip Cracker - fat bass drum, lush keys and a vocal right in your face.

The backing vocals are perfect, subtle but adding a ton of flavour.

About 90 seconds in the tempo picks up and I'm reminded of Talking Heads and Tears For Fears!

Easy - they're such fools, love is for fools apparently. One paced and a bit of a filler this one I think.

Song About Fishing - is a bit Nick Cave, and that's never ever a bad thing.

A lovely vocal melody and another mint bass line. I really like this one.

No Looking Back - could be the theme tune from a US sitcom. Warm, fun and full of major key happiness.

Bye Bye - last track starts with a kick arse drum groove.

"Bye bye, crawling back to you". Not the strongest track, you can tell the album is winding down.

A pleasant way to go out.

I enjoyed this album. Genesis Owusu takes me far from my comfort zone and although a little too long, I really enjoyed this record.

Dave tracks were Drown and Black Dogs! but the record as a whole is a really solid piece of work.

Great pick Jose.

7/10

• Upvote 2

Latarulus - Tool.

Loads of boss riffage, and awesome rhythm etc, and some absolute banging riffs. But fuck me, it's too long. The Grudge is ace, for the fist 4 minutes , then it sets the precedent for the rest of the album, long and far too easy to become disinterested.

I like Tool, but 10,000 Days is their peak, this is a borderline semi trouser snake arousing album overall. 6.98/10.

These guys are new to me, and I enjoyed it, but can't help but feel that they are trying to be a poor white man's Funkadelic with the first tune though. Some phenomenal playing on this as well. Not necessarily a genre I would pick to listen to, A Be-Bopping 7.34/10.

• Upvote 2

Genesis Owusu is as eclectic as my musical tastes. Warrants a listen on quality earphones. Observation: one of the vocalists sounds very much like the vocalist of Bloc Party.

5 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Genesis Owusu is as eclectic as my musical tastes. Warrants a listen on quality earphones. Observation: one of the vocalists sounds very much like the vocalist of Bloc Party.

The variation is what I think is interesting about it, especially as it’s his debut. 

It’s all one dude, although I think there might be another fella guesting on “Drown”. I definitely get the Bloc Party likeness on the more punky ones.

Good review by @Carvalho Diablo too.

• Upvote 1

Sat out in the garden with the missus, having a few glasses from our recent wine delivery (bourgeois moi?) and a few joints listening to Genesis Owusu.

Mate! I am digging this guys groove. 

I cant hear it properly as I’m using my phone, but that hasn’t mattered so far. 

It’s currently sitting on a Merry as fuck 8.78/10.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Sat out in the garden with the missus, having a few glasses from our recent wine delivery (bourgeois moi?) and a few joints listening to Genesis Owusu.

Mate! I am digging this guys groove. 

I cant hear it properly as I’m using my phone, but that hasn’t mattered so far. 

It’s currently sitting on a Merry as fuck 8.78/10.

That's the way to do it.

• Upvote 1

Genesis Owusu - Smiling With No Teeth

Never heard of the dude so didn't know what to expect. I do like to hear new things....

On the Move! : getting Prodigy "Invaders must die" era vibes off this start - electronica/punk/hip-hop. I like the synth. Good start but actually too short. I'd have liked to hear this expanded a bit more.

The Other Black Dog: Synth and drum machine driven high-tempo rant - the rapping is very good. Nod to depression and/or racism: "All my friends are hurting, but we dance it off, laugh it off". Not sure of what to make of the break down at the end. Total change of direction but maybe throws little a little hint at what's to follow.

Centrefold: Big change of direction. A relatively straight forward R&B track with a nice bassline and some 70s effects. This is a confident artist not afraid to mix it up a bit. 

Waitin' on Ya: 90s AND 70s R&B vibes from this which is impressive. Nice vocals and a great "cold drink in the sunshine" vibe from it. A definite grower, even if it goes all "Flight of The Conchords" cheese at one stage. 

Don't Need You: Nod to Outkast. Either he sings about depression and the mantra "I don't need you" seemingly to push those demons away, or it's someone wrecking his buzz "When you stop joggin' (Joggin') On my dome, goddamn". Good synth work and very much an earworm. Raises the bar from the previous tracks.

Drown: Taking it's inspiration straight from the 80s "best of synth pop" catalogues. Bouncy and bright it's actually a very good tune after a few listens and the best so far for me.

Gold Chains: A smooth, soul-inspired meandering about the toll on mental health for being constantly in demand, or 'on-call' for the Capitalist/Corporate system. Great track to have a dig at those who treat people as commodities. The price that must be paid for fame..

Smiling with No Teeth:  Otis Redding to my ears. Catchy refrain. A very simple track but very good, and I really like the vocals on this one. 

I Don't See Colour: A track about how atrociously black people are treated, brilliantly delivered. African tribal-precussion vibes all over this. Minimal production underlining the importance of the lyrics to the entire track's message. I presume the vocal loop is just a continous "sigh".  

Black Dogs: Back to the electro-punk with more of "The Prodigy" slipping through it. Banger. Liam Howlett would have a field day remixing this. 

Whip Cracker: Another banging tune about racism, directly calling out those guilty of it. Like the energy in the 2nd half of this tune after the monotony of the kick-drum intro. If I had a comparison it would be "The Young Fathers". Lyrically excellent. 

Easy: 80's synth-pop recreation with tons of reverb. Seems like anything but "Easy", more like a desperate plea to be easy. Weakest track yet but a clearly link up track between the angry tracks preceding and the more philosophical ones to follow.

A Song About Fishing: lovely pop song about 'awakening' and forcing a more positive attitude in the face of despair. 
I can see this appearing on the soundtracks of films for many years to come. Good tune and a lovely female vocal at the end.

No Looking Back:  Easy to see why it follows "A Song About Fishing". “I can't drown in my blеssings / or float on my pride / no more waiting for this freedom, it's already been minе.” This is again dripping with more positive vibes - you can't change what has gone before. 

Bye Bye: a round up and summary that the "block dogs" are here to stay and it's all about how you deal with them. Another 90's R&B feel to it and a good closer to bind it all together.

So... Overall a very ambitious record. The themes are brilliant and every track binds them together. Some very decent production at times but it feels all over the place as a coherent piece musically (not lyrically or thematically), at least to my ears. 

My problem is this: I can't find myself picking this album out if I'm in the mood for a certain style because it's wrapped around so many styles. It would be perfectly fine for a train journey for example, but you couldn't play the entire album at a party - you'd be skipping tracks too often. You'd likely need to add some of individual tracks to different playlists to match a vibe you're looking for. (Such a sad complaint really). Probably close to 10 minutes too long but I guess with so many ideas swirling around your head you'd want to get them all out there. Still, it's an impressive collection of tunes and I could not rate it badly. 

Stand outs:
Drown
Gold Chains
I Don't See Colour
A Song About Fishing

7.8/10

• Upvote 3