You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

Right, this review stuff. I know I'm obviously a valued member of the commune, what with coming in last and singularly failing to post a review of the Zac Brown Band and Moofy's offering, which I will do later on.

So, I'll start with a review of Skidders offering, Soundgarden's Superunknown.

I have to say at the start, music is a biased thing, no matter how objective you want to be.

I know Superunknown like the back of my hand, I listened to it to death back in 1994.

I bought a limited Edition version on Clear vinyl from Probe Records when it was still on Button Street, and when it came out. And I went to see them in Manchester on the tour of the album and still have the T shirt in a draw.

It's a magnificent, rock n roll inferno of an album.

I loved Badmotorfinger, that was great, but this album was their finest hour for me. They hit the heights with this album and went donwhill after.

Every song on this album rocks properly.

The singles, we all know, Spoonman, Black Hole Sun, The Day I tried to Live.

I'd say that My Wave and Lino Wreck are my favourite tracks.

I'm biased I know, I've played this album many times on a record deck and on Guitar. It's brilliant.

10/10. A fantastic album and glad to have a reason to listen to it again.

I'll do my reviews of the two earlier offerings later this week, sorry to the earlier Comrades.

• Upvote 1

Superunknown by Soundgarden.

Previous to the news of the suicide of Chris Cornell I had never specifically heard of Soundgarden, which is a surprise as I had heard of their 'rivals'(?) Nirvana, Mudhoney, Red Hot Chili Peppers and the band of Kurt Cobain's wife, Hole.

After his passing and hearing Black Hole Sun for the first time, I decided to buy a number of their albums but have not had the chance to listen to any of them. Exactly the same situation with Audioslave. Sometimes I will hear an isolated track and hear the unmistakable voice but not being certain which band it is but now having heard Superunknown there is no doubt the differences are very obvious.

I also heard for the first time in a long while the song 'Spoonman', which I knew about from a compilation album years ago without realizing who the band were.

So only knowing the two tracks above, listening to the album was a lengthy process as it's a very long one. I can definitely see why it has polarised opinions because at it's best it's definitely comparable in quality to any of the classic works of the other bands of the time but at times it's also quite hard work to listen to.

The first few tracks for me (up to and including Spoonman) were right up my street, although I had comparisons at times to bands like Led Zeppelin and also Deep Purple rather than Nirvana. 

Let Me Drown - what a hook and great drumming too. His voice is so suited to this track as it's up and down and swirling around. 9/10

My Wave - this is definitely the way grunge would have sounded at the time of Nirvana rather than the opening which is much more rock sounding for me. Not as catchy but again the drumming and guitar work are very good. Not the best demo of Chris' voice though. 7/10

Fell on Black Days - again, more grunge like and slower so it's a little harder for me to listen to as I prefer the more upbeat tracks. The running theme in this album is the high quality of the instrumentation. I can imagine this being a good live track. 7/10

Mailman - almost word for word as above but if anything too slow for me personally to really enjoy it. Definitely for me an album track. 6/10

Superunknown - wow, never heard this track before hearing the album. Exactly how I would have imagined them to sound, based on hearing Black Hole Sun and Spoonman. Chris' voice suits this track and the band are definitely in their element here. For me this is where I hear Led Zeppelin rather than grunge. 9/10

Head Down - almost an acoustic style to this track, not on of my personal favourites but having not heard much music from them it's to know if this is comparable to their other works. For me one of the weaker tracks and an album filler which could easily for me could have left out. Especially with what follows... 4/10

Black Hole Sun - this is their signature sound, surely? Just a magnificent track that haunts and cajoles with the emotions. Chris' voice is almost operatic here and the band must have been on some sort of acid trip to have created the sounds they have here. Beautiful, painful to listen to and I would absolutely love to hear a version of the live. There aren't enough numbers in 10 to rate it. But 10/10.

Spoonman - this is more rock and roll and definitely resembles Led Zeppelin for me and I love it all the more for it. To have to follow Black Hole Sun is a tough act but this is only just eclipsed as best track on the album for me. It gets 9.5/10 only because I couldn't give it as many as Black Hole Sun. 9.5/10

Limo Wreck - unless I am mistaken this is where the album starts to tumble a little bit. Only based on my personal tastes. Again, musically it's a great showcase of the whole band's abilities but it's a little slow and hard to define. 6/10

The Day I Tried To Live - a big old intro to this track so I had high hopes of it kicking in. The bass guitar licks are great and Chris can sing and it does deliver after a couple of minutes. It's almost a mix of how great the album is and how it struggles sometimes. Just a personal opinion. 7/10

Kickstand - for me it's a fast rock track that could have been performed by a large number of bands. This is a good track but it doesn't stand out as a Soundgarden track. 7/10

Fresh Tendrils - OK this track is also a little slower but again the drumming and guitar work are outstanding on this track and Chris' vocals are strong too. It's a good track that helps boost the second half of the album. 7/10

4th Of July - this could easily be a Nirvana track. Pure grunge but if it was on a Nirvana album it wouldn't for me be one of their better ones. It's amazing how similar Chris' vocals on here are to Kurt Cobain except for his natural singing ability. 6/10

Half - have I switched albums somehow? I just swore I was listening to Soundgarden and now I think I'm listening to Peter Gabriel. Not a good track for me and could easily have been dropped (at least the first half!) but again some great guitar solo work in the end. 5/10

Like Suicide - this should have been earlier in the album as it's actually quite good - not a fan of the slower stuff here but the band are definitely capable in their art which shows here. 7/10

She Likes Surprises - again, have I switched albums? This sounds so similar to another band - I am thinking Gomez. Obviously Soundgarden were around first so perhaps Gomez were influenced by this band? But when the guitars rock and Chris delivers his vocals you can tell it's Soundgarden so it's quite a good track when it gets going. The second half of the album is saved by this track but in my humble opinion the album could have finished with this sooner and been better for it. 8/10

Overall score for the album would be 8/10. Even with the weaker tracks it's a good album and can see why it's revered. Mr Cornell really shouldn't have left the building.

I am now going to listen to more of their albums plus Audioslave so I can see what other tracks can be enjoyed.

Good album and pleased to have listened to it so good work in recommending it. 

I was reading on wiki about the recording of Superunknown and some of the guitar tunings are mental; Head Down and Half both in CGCGGE, My Wave and The Day I Tried To Live in EEBBBB!

The wildest tuning that these old fingers ever fiddle with is Neil Young's famed double drop D.

Just try and play The Day I tried to live on your gig Guitar Shep. I'll rename you Bigsby Tremolo, the king.

Shooter, top review. Sorry I haven't done yours properly mate, I have listened to the album. Twice. Once when I was hammered and then, second time when I was talking to Carvalho Diablo, pissed again.

We were talking about Guitars we've owned a loved and I was swearing at your album, but there was one Bob Marley sounding track that I thought was ace.

Shooter, top review. Sorry I haven't done yours properly mate, I have listened to the album. Twice. Once when I was hammered and then, second time when I was talking to Carvalho Diablo, pissed again.

We were talking about Guitars we've owned a loved and I was swearing at your album, but there was one Bob Marley sounding track that I thought was ace.

No problem at all, loads of time to add reviews as I can see this thread lasting a good few weeks. At least I certainly hope so. I am learning a lot from it.

Hey Shooter, strange how you and I prefer almost exactly the opposite songs from Superunknown.

Most likely as I think you mentioned in the thread earlier that you have memories of the album when it was released but I never heard it until now, It's possible the perspective would change in time and the musicianship is not in question, just the higher tempo tracks hit the spot for me. Like you say, quite a coincidence that the opinions are virtually opposite!

I’ll write up the review later today, or tomorrow at worst. I’ve been chocka.

Looking forward to the next AOW, but starting to think maybe this is moving too quickly for some? I know a week usually flies by for me, and it’s a busy time of year. I dunno, what’s the consensus on that?

Let me Drown – Drop D

In the Animal Kingdom Pacific Salmon return to the streams they are born in to die. This is about taking that premise and applying it to human beings. So the lines “stretch the bones over my skin, stretch the skin over my eyes” are about Cornell returning to the womb he was born in to die. Pretty macabre.

My Wave – EEBBBB

This track starts in 4/4 time, then it shifts to 5/4 during the opening. The verse is a riff and the chorus is a melody, then the chorus breaks into a riff halfway through. The main standout on this track is the magnificent drumming by Cameron. Every drummer should listen to this track to understand the balance between virtuosity and serving the song.

Fell on Black Days - standard tuning

This is one of Soundgarden’s most well known songs. Listening to it now it’s self evidently about depression. It’s also about Cornell’s struggle with fame and feeling like a phony “I’m only faking when I get it right”.  It’s also about being trapped in an addiction and becoming a slave to that addiction.

Mailman – CGDGBE

This is a revenge song. Some girl has fucked him over and he’s vengefully writing a riposte. He does reiterate, “I know I’m heading for the bottom” which indicates he knows he can’t be saved, but then the nastiness comes out with “I’m riding you all the way”. He’s taking her down with him.

Superunknown - DGDGBE

Possibly the greatest opening riff to a song ever. This should’ve been the opening track on the album. It’s always irked me that it’s shoehorned into the middle of the album. Opportunity missed there.  Legendary track.

Head Down – CGCGGE

This is the worst song on the album in my opinion. It doesn’t really go anywhere and sounds out of place on the record. Should’ve been left as a B-side.

Black Hole Sun – Standard tuning

The Beatles meets Black Sabbath. The lyrics sync with other tracks on the record, “hides the face, lies the snake” and “seal my tomb without a face” from Let Me Drown. I’m not going to analyse his lyrics in any depth on this one because Cornell himself said he was just playing with words for words sake.

The line “Times are gone for honest men” is particularly pertinent though. Cornell explains it thusly –

It's really difficult for a person to create their own life and their own freedom. It's going to become more and more difficult, and it's going to create more and more disillusioned people who become dishonest and angry and are willing to fuck the next guy to get what they want. There's so much stepping on the backs of other people in our profession. We've been so lucky that we've never had to do that. Part of it was because of our own tenacity, and part of it was because we were lucky.

This track features one of the best solos in rock history.

Spoonman – Drop D

Cameron again takes centre stage flipping through time signatures effortlessly and lays the foundation for the track and it’s driving rhythm. This is the least introspective song on the record. It’s a dumb rock song written about street performer that plays spoons. It was written for a fictional band in the Cameron Crowe movie ‘Singles’.

Limo Wreck – CGDGBE (same as Mailman)

This is the best track on the album for me. The lyrics reach a zenith. Cornell’s voice soars, but there’s also an emotional vulnerability to his voice here. It’s not just hitting notes, it’s an exasperation and pain coming through. It’s a really powerful track because he loses himself here and within that you get a rare glimpse of unfiltered emotion.

The Day I Tried to Live – EEBBBB (Same as My Wave)

It’s a song about misanthropy and trying to be a part of something you just can’t relate to. It’s an agoraphobic person hoping to rekindle some connection to society. It’s often misconstrued as a song about suicide.

Kickstand – Drop D

It’s just a fast punk song. It clocks in at 1 minute 37 seconds. It’s really an ode to Black Flag. It could also be influenced by Pearl Jams record Vs which came out a few months prior. It’s a fun throwaway track.

Fresh Tendrils – DGDGBE

Another song about a woman sucking the life out of you

4TH July – CFCGBE

This song is about Cornell on an acid trip hearing voices in his head. The tuning of the guitars is so low you can hear the flapping of the strings. It’s a scary fucking track. Doom Metal at it’s core.

Half – CGCGGF (all sharp)

I like this. It’s like Wild Honey Pie from the White Album. It reminds me of a Charles Manson song sung by a child. It throws you off course.

Like Suicide - DGDGBC

This sounds like it could be a Brit Pop track from Ocean Colour Scene or Kula Shaker if you take away Cornell’s vocals. The solo is very psychedelic and Mike McCready-esque. Great ending.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may have noticed I’ve added the guitar tunings for every track. The reason I did this is because I wanted to shine a light on Kim Thayil and the genius of his work on this album. Since Cornell’s untimely passing there’s a tendency to just focus on him, and his genius, which is understandable taking into account the circumstances of his death, but for me this is a record about three musicians - Cameron, Thayil and Cornell.

9/10 – Classic

• Upvote 5

Let me Drown – Drop D

In the Animal Kingdom Pacific Salmon return to the streams they are born in to die. This is about taking that premise and applying it to human beings. So the lines “stretch the bones over my skin, stretch the skin over my eyes” are about Cornell returning to the womb he was born in to die. Pretty macabre.

My Wave – EEBBBB

This track starts in 4/4 time, then it shifts to 5/4 during the opening. The verse is a riff and the chorus is a melody, then the chorus breaks into a riff halfway through. The main standout on this track is the magnificent drumming by Cameron. Every drummer should listen to this track to understand the balance between virtuosity and serving the song.

Fell on Black Days - standard tuning

This is one of Soundgarden’s most well known songs. Listening to it now it’s self evidently about depression. It’s also about Cornell’s struggle with fame and feeling like a phony “I’m only faking when I get it right”. It’s also about being trapped in an addiction and becoming a slave to that addiction.

Mailman – CGDGBE

This is a revenge song. Some girl has fucked him over and he’s vengefully writing a riposte. He does reiterate, “I know I’m heading for the bottom” which indicates he knows he can’t be saved, but then the nastiness comes out with “I’m riding you all the way”. He’s taking her down with him.

Superunknown - DGDGBE

Possibly the greatest opening riff to a song ever. This should’ve been the opening track on the album. It’s always irked me that it’s shoehorned into the middle of the album. Opportunity missed there. Legendary track.

Head Down – CGCGGE

This is the worst song on the album in my opinion. It doesn’t really go anywhere and sounds out of place on the record. Should’ve been left as a B-side.

Black Hole Sun – Standard tuning

The Beatles meets Black Sabbath. The lyrics sync with other tracks on the record, “hides the face, lies the snake” and “seal my tomb without a face” from Let Me Drown. I’m not going to analyse his lyrics in any depth on this one because Cornell himself said he was just playing with words for words sake.

The line “Times are gone for honest men” is particularly pertinent though. Cornell explains it thusly –

It's really difficult for a person to create their own life and their own freedom. It's going to become more and more difficult, and it's going to create more and more disillusioned people who become dishonest and angry and are willing to fuck the next guy to get what they want. There's so much stepping on the backs of other people in our profession. We've been so lucky that we've never had to do that. Part of it was because of our own tenacity, and part of it was because we were lucky.

This track features one of the best solos in rock history.

Spoonman – Drop D

Cameron again takes centre stage flipping through time signatures effortlessly and lays the foundation for the track and it’s driving rhythm. This is the least introspective song on the record. It’s a dumb rock song written about street performer that plays spoons. It was written for a fictional band in the Cameron Crowe movie ‘Singles’.

Limo Wreck – CGDGBE (same as Mailman)

This is the best track on the album for me. The lyrics reach a zenith. Cornell’s voice soars, but there’s also an emotional vulnerability to his voice here. It’s not just hitting notes, it’s an exasperation and pain coming through. It’s a really powerful track because he loses himself here and within that you get a rare glimpse of unfiltered emotion.

The Day I Tried to Live – EEBBBB (Same as My Wave)

It’s a song about misanthropy and trying to be a part of something you just can’t relate to. It’s an agoraphobic person hoping to rekindle some connection to society. It’s often misconstrued as a song about suicide.

Kickstand – Drop D

It’s just a fast punk song. It clocks in at 1 minute 37 seconds. It’s really an ode to Black Flag. It could also be influenced by Pearl Jams record Vs which came out a few months prior. It’s a fun throwaway track.

Fresh Tendrils – DGDGBE

Another song about a woman sucking the life out of you

4TH July – CFCGBE

This song is about Cornell on an acid trip hearing voices in his head. The tuning of the guitars is so low you can hear the flapping of the strings. It’s a scary fucking track. Doom Metal at it’s core.

Half – CGCGGF (all sharp)

I like this. It’s like Wild Honey Pie from the White Album. It reminds me of a Charles Manson song sung by a child. It throws you off course.

Like Suicide - DGDGBC

This sounds like it could be a Brit Pop track from Ocean Colour Scene or Kula Shaker if you take away Cornell’s vocals. The solo is very psychedelic and Mike McCready-esque. Great ending.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may have noticed I’ve added the guitar tunings for every track. The reason I did this is because I wanted to shine a light on Kim Thayil and the genius of his work on this album. Since Cornell’s untimely passing there’s a tendency to just focus on him, and his genius, which is understandable taking into account the circumstances of his death, but for me this is a record about three musicians - Cameron, Thayil and Cornell.

9/10 – Classic

I think Shepherd deserves as much credibility with the rest of them.

Just realised I still need to do a review for moof’s AOW. I will defo have this done by COP tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

That's a fabulous review Boss; I've known that album intimately since the week of it's release but you've educated me there mate.

Re: Moof's point about a weekly AOW moving too quickly, perhaps we sshould go to once a fortnight ? Personally I disagree tbh, liking the brisk pace, keeping it fresh, you can always post reviews out of turn / go back over etc, but that's just my opinion. What does everyone else think ? Happy to go with the consensus.

Should also say to anyone who is a bit behind or who has yet to post a review, please don't feel pressurised to do so, it's all about having some fun, hearing some new music, getting a fresh perspective.

If you haven't got the time to write a fucking blockbuster review like Boss' there then no worries, reviews can be as long or as short as you like, no set format whatsoever. Again, it's meant to be fun.

• Upvote 1

Listened to the final track off Moof's Steven Wilson record Hand. Cannot. Erase. again last night, probably my favourite on the record, really upbeat and optimistic...until I realised the vocal is the recital of her suicide note to her brother! Yeh, bit of a downer like.

Still loved that record thought.

Sorry I've been a bit shit on reviews.

With the college course I'm doing for going to uni next year and trying to keep business ticking over the weeks seem to be flying by right now at a rate that I can barely keep track of. 

I'm with boss on the focus on Chris Cornell, as much as I loved his voice and really enjoyed the stuff in Soundgarden the work of the other members really seems underappreciated in general outside of the more dedicated (for want of a better way of putting it) fans. It's very telling that his solo work was always really patchy while his collaborations generally turned out really well.