You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

Review: Tool - Lateralus

Tool are a band who I couldn't get into back in the day and I've pretty much ignored them since. Well aware that their fans seem rabid, time to give them another go...

[presses play]

The Grudge opens the album, instruments sound nice and clear, well recorded and excellently mixed, odd time signatures abound, not a great fan of the effects on the singer's voice.

Love it when the beat finally drops at 3:50.

Perhaps a bit light on the bass for me?

Decent start.

Eon Blue Apocalypse - sounds like Elon Musk's new kid. Vaguely middle Eastern instrumental filler.

Nice.

The Patient - more odd time sigs, like the bass and bass drum locked air tight, waiting for this to launch...guitars hit on queue, big power chords sound the business, still trying to latch onto a melody.

Frustrating, I want this album to rock out but it isn't yet.

Mantra - another filler. Goes nowhere, does nothing.

Schism - definitely heard this before, the opening bass riff is instantly recognisable.

Mix sounds fantastic. Crying out for the singer to let rip with a huge melody though.

My neighbours must hate this, very dynamic and that's where this shines.

Heavy on time shifts, light on rock and melody so far.

Awesome drums, sometimes less is more?

Another decent track.

Parabol - another mystical dirge goes into...

Parabola - hits hard, best yet, the drums and bass rock and this song's much better for it.

The singer's vague ramblings are annoying. Let it go man, let it rip!

Best "chorus" yet, best melody and hook yet.

Easily the best song so far, that closing riff drops like the Titanic.

Ticks and Leeches - more erratic drum and bass work lead us in, guitar hits and remind me of Rollins Band. Double bass drops in, killer riff goes a bit Deftones. Singer channels Tomahawk's Mike Patton, all good stuff.

However that's all then broken up by more mystical ramblings, just taking all the steam out of the song imo.

Another decent song, love the drums at the end.

Lateralus - title track, nice riff, interesting wobbly drum sounds coming from my speakers.

Very tribal and rhythmic, hypnotic almost much of the riffage and vocal delivery, not only on this song but on much of the album so far.

Another interesting time change near the end throws me further off balance.

Disposition, at 4:46 is one of the shortest songs here. More nice guitar sounds and the bass brings it down exactly when I'm hoping for the pedal to hit the metal.

Could do without the percussion tbh. Not for me.

Reflection starts just the same. Waiting for these guitars to crash in. Promising bass riff and synth pad.

This record is very cinematic, presenting big soundscapes, but it's sorely lacking in melod, hooks, warmth and a visceral excitement imo.

The singer again channels the middle East.

7 minutes in and I'm still waiting for this to take off..

Nah, not digging this.

Triad - over a minute in and still no song to speak of, more tribal rhythmic shenanigans, tbh this lost me some time ago and this song isn't doing anything to win me over.

Akin to a heavier Breaking Into Heaven?

Hey, the beat drops at 3:00 and the so g is much better for it.

4:10 and the riff goes all Rollinsy for a moment.

Hello? Can we have some vocals here please?

Musically one of my favourites on the album. Would have been nice for the singer to have put in an appearance.

Faaip De Ouid - whatever, another dirge to finish me off.

This album was such a disappointment to me, I listened 5 times before writing down my thoughts and I still just don't get it; the music or Tool's fan's rabid adoration.

Lateralus sounds great, Tool clearly play great but it's all just too self-indulgent for my tastes. Saying that, I picked the Mars Volta record and absolutely loved the Steven Wilson LP so go figure.

Pleased I listened but a disappointing 5/10

• Upvote 3

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Good take fella.

My appreciation for Tool begins and ends with Danny Carey drum cam videos.

My option on them now isn't hugely different from what it was when I first heard them 30 years ago, save for a greater appreciation and understanding of the engineering and the playing. Hugely impressive.

Just sadly underwhelmed by the songs. I've always been a sucker for a huge catch chorus, melody, take me somewhere, soar. Lateralus gave me very little of this.

I'm just bemused by my obvious disconnect, especially when casting an eye at their mammoth fan base. Is there something I'm missing here? What's the secret? On the outside looking in, bemused.

11 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

My option on them now isn't hugely different from what it was when I first heard them 30 years ago, save for a greater appreciation and understanding of the engineering and the playing. Hugely impressive.

Just sadly underwhelmed by the songs. I've always been a sucker for a huge catch chorus, melody, take me somewhere, soar. Lateralus gave me very little of this.

I'm just bemused by my obvious disconnect, especially when casting an eye at their mammoth fan base. Is there something I'm missing here? What's the secret? On the outside looking in, bemused.

Try 10,000 Days, better than Lateralus in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Though you dissed him a little, Maynard is a huge part of it. For me it is a little like Dream Theater - younger folks are looking for that killer progressive.

Self indulgence has certainly taken a different path since Peter Gabriel's Genesis. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Try 10,000 Days, better than Lateralus in my opinion.

I agree, it's better.

I think the wine got the better of me the other night and I just said fuck it. Lateralus isn't for everyone. It's like a mosaic of musical pieces welded together. To me it gets better the older I get and the more I really listen in but I can't argue that it is devoid of any real catchy tunes. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I agree, it's better.

I think the wine got the better of me the other night and I just said fuck it. Lateralus isn't for everyone. It's like a mosaic of musical pieces welded together. To me it gets better the older I get and the more I really listen in but I can't argue that it is devoid of any real catchy tunes. 

Some of the sections are really good - overall they just come off fuckin cold though. The tones/timbres, the front/guitar combo. There is nothing organic in their makeup (no pun intended.)

• Upvote 1

Tool - Lateralus

Listened to this a few times now.  The first time through I had the headphones on and was really paying attention, and fully agreed with Carvalho's vibe.  There's some really good bits in it crunching guitars, awesome mental drums (also, hat tip to the scream in the first song), but then just when things get going, they cut the pace, or take the volume right down and I found it really frustrating.

Just do all the good shit for the whole song!

Next time I listened to it though I had it on in the background in the kitchen while I was making some bangers and mash.  I enjoyed it a fair bit more, because I wasn't really paying 100% attention to the slow bits and when the good shit dropped in it was pretty shitting good.

Yeah, so I also didn't really get it as a whole I suppose, as I don't reckon Tool were aiming for background kitchen music, but maybe once I get as old as @ZonkoVille77 I will.

Anyway I'm giving it 6.5/10

Half a bonus point because I find it funny that a couple of them were in Green Jelly before starting Tool.  

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Tool - Lateralus

Listened to this a few times now.  The first time through I had the headphones on and was really paying attention, and fully agreed with Carvalho's vibe.  There's some really good bits in it crunching guitars, awesome mental drums (also, hat tip to the scream in the first song), but then just when things get going, they cut the pace, or take the volume right down and I found it really frustrating.

Just do all the good shit for the whole song!

Next time I listened to it though I had it on in the background in the kitchen while I was making some bangers and mash.  I enjoyed it a fair bit more, because I wasn't really paying 100% attention to the slow bits and when the good shit dropped in it was pretty shitting good.

Yeah, so I also didn't really get it as a whole I suppose, as I don't reckon Tool were aiming for background kitchen music, but maybe once I get as old as @ZonkoVille77 I will.

Anyway I'm giving it 6.5/10

Half a bonus point because I find it funny that a couple of them were in Green Jelly before starting Tool.  

Their version of "Three Little Pigs" is fucking boss. On which Maynard does the little pig voice with Pauly Shore and Danny Carey plays drums.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to listening to Lateralus by TOOL and I enjoyed it a fair amount. It comes across more as a 'look at what we can do' metal album than an album to be enjoyed but for me it's a very good showpiece. With at least five songs above 7/8 minutes it's hard to imagine many songs being mainstream and it's all the better for it.

I've listened to 10,000 days and it's definitely a superior album (The Pot is one of their best songs) but this album showcases what they are capable of. 8/10.

10 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Brecker Brothers - Heavy Metal BeBop

Nice choice, I've been listening to that one a fair bit recently. 

East River made the hit parade in the UK apparently.

Review: The Brecker Brothers - Heavy Metal Be-Bop

Terrible album title, intrigued though.

[presses play]

East River kicks things off and I immediately hate the way this sounds; harsh, processed, horrible synthy sounds.

Liking it more in the slower parts, funky bass and great drum groove.

The singer and vocal a real turn off though.

Inside Out - a live track, and it immediately sounds far better.

Great jazzy brass runs over the top of a deep funky bass line. Much more to my taste.

Very interesting effect on the trumpet; is that a closh or a wah (!) or even a keyboard going bananas with a trumpet sample? Either way, very interesting and impressive playing, miles better than the first song.

I love the way this swings, the drums at 4:50 being a real highlight.

Great bass and guitar, right up my street.

Another high tempo, live jazz funk track - Some Skunk Funk - is next and it's more of the same.

Incredible sax playing around the 3:00 mark.

The drums and bass again blistering.

Nice maracas. Haven't said that for a while.

Sponge - interesting bass puts me in mind of Thundercat.

More fantastic trumpet playing gives way to great sax and then guitar solos.

Would love to see these live in a small club.

How did you come across these boys Howie?

The drumming around 4:00 is seriously incredible.

The virtuosity on display here is both inspirational and abjectly depressing.

Funky Sea, Funky Dew is a lot more laid back, I like that simple bass riff.

The sax again fantastic, the tune ok.

Squids closes the album, a bit quicker, it bounces along nicely.

The bass is funky, popping away with more solid drumming.

Squids has a Latin flavour in parts, reminding me of that Ozomatli album, previously AOW in the club.

So what can I say in summary? I really disliked the first track but I really dug the rest, a virtuoso tour de force, the playing astounding throughout.

I can understand why this jazzy tornado might not be for everyone, but it is for me.

Great pick. 8/10

• Upvote 2

I have also been listening to the Brecker Brothers.

As @Carvalho Diablo pointed out, East River is a bit of a sore thumb on this record, the one studio recorded track on the otherwise live album.

I am guessing they were dicking about in the studio, and accidentally got a hit so decided to put it on an album. It’s a comedy funk track that only just makes it on the right side of acceptable cheese for me. 

The rest of the live stuff is much better, as is normally the case with jazz stuff. Some Skunk Funk and Squids are probably my favourites, and there’s some real interesting sounds with the trumpet and sax through the effects pedals.

These fellas are obviously dorks, as you can tell by the terrible song titles, but they sure can play. I internetted them a bit and it seems they played with a lot of people, inc Zappa and Quincy Jones, so tip of the cap to the Brecker boys there.

Good fun stuff, I’m giving this 7.5/10. 

• Upvote 1