You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

So I've reviewed both Occupanther and Race For Space, what and who is next?

1 hour ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I think @TheHowieLamais up next

Howie has already picked, an album by Tank and the Bangas I believe...

I've loaded up the album 'Green Balloon' from 2019 as it has the song he linked to on it.

https://open.spotify.com/album/4T9MbbBF5YuCU7T2bkOjTl?si=ZN1lI07qRd2V0SZgSOVx9g

11 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Howie has already picked, an album by Tank and the Bangas I believe...

I've loaded up the album 'Green Balloon' from 2019 as it has the song he linked to on it.

https://open.spotify.com/album/4T9MbbBF5YuCU7T2bkOjTl?si=ZN1lI07qRd2V0SZgSOVx9g

I didn't realise it was a selection, just looked like a few vids being posted. Grand so, I'll get listening. 

11 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Those 2 YouTube vids?

Yup, I've posted a link to the Spotify album Green Balloon which includes Spaceships - the first of the two videos.

17 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Good nuff - you will know in a few minutes if you like her/them. The live clips (especially that Austin City Limits show) are the best way to enable your Tank Love. Ace.

I just finished Green Balloon and I only intended to listen to the first two tracks (the intro and the studio recording of Spaceships). That should tell you whether I enjoyed it or not. And I'm no sadist.

Re: live versions, I've never been able to dig a live act until I've heard them recorded first. I want to hear them how they want to be heard first and then see if they can replicate it live. It sorts the pretenders from the real deals.

30 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I just finished Green Balloon and I only intended to listen to the first two tracks (the intro and the studio recording of Spaceships). That should tell you whether I enjoyed it or not. And I'm no sadist.

Re: live versions, I've never been able to dig a live act until I've heard them recorded first. I want to hear them how they want to be heard first and then see if they can replicate it live. It sorts the pretenders from the real deals.

Nice - for me it is the opposite. Feel like alot of artists (especially young ones) end up sounding more like how the producer/record company hears them.

So many acts make a good record but then stink the place out live. Also I have no problem if they don't sound like the record live - as long as they sound good. Either way  - if you like it, then its all right.

• Upvote 2

Tank & The Bangas

I watched all the vids Howie posted, plus listed to the album that Shooter linked, so I'm just going to give them a general review.

First off I like the juxtaposition between the sassy black lasses on the vocals and the dweebie white guys on the instruments.  The sounds are good, bit of laid back groove here, some more up tempo funky stuff there.  I like her rapping, she's pretty good at it, and most of the singing except when she does the sort of "baby girl" voice occasionally.  

Also a slight drawback is that none of the songs really grabbed me - I liked most of it and I didn't get bored, they're all just a bit lightweight.

Give her a few more heartbreaks, bottles of whisky, dead dogs or political awakenings and I reckon that'd take Tank up a notch.  Overall 7/10

• Upvote 2

On 30/01/2021 at 03:26, TheHowieLama said:

I think I prefer these guys live. This tune is so much better here than on the album. A little musical triangle thrown in for good measure.

Although that dude with the flute and shakers/shorts combo could do with a left hook. 

EDIT: I'd happily pay to see these live. 

• Upvote 1

Listened to Tampa and the Bangas a couple of times now. Definitely a grower of an album, even though on first listen it's good it just gets better. Vocals a cross between Nicki Minaj and Jill Scott/Angie Stone which is quite a devastating combination, good funky roots band in the vein of Anderson .Paak and his backing band (I wish I could remember their name as they have solo records too) and a good dose of 'say, what now?' attitude and I'm all in.

I can definitely see why people are preferring them live, they can deliver it very well and if anything add some extra spice to an already tasty meal.

The album I listened to was only one of their albums so I'm going to have to explore a bit more and also listen again to some of the soul of Angie Stone/Jill Scott that has definitely influenced this.

9/10.

• 2 weeks later...

7 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Sure, tossing up between a couple; do you want Scottish post punk or heartfelt Kiwi crooning?

I'd say surprise us.

Edit: but Scottish post punk holds some intrigue.

Alright then, Shopping are a three piece, two girls, one guy (think he’s on the drums).

They released an album a few months back called “All or Nothing” which is pretty good. Not quite as good as their previous one from a couple of years ago, “The Official Body”, so I’ve gone for that.

Might be a bit too “art student” for some? Let’s find out:

https://open.spotify.com/album/27kGBG8fN2SrgSM2ERqsjt?si=RMdzC7YFTVqGp2ruOBXJ4Q

• Upvote 2