You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

Review: Nothing But Thieves - Nothing But Thieves

Another band I've never heard, another album I've never heard, exactly the reason I put this little club together.

[presses play]

Excuse Me sulks in with low stated guitars, sounds nice but then gives way to a gorgeous chorus. Love that high caterwaulled vocal and the lead vocal sounds very like the dude from The Killers.

Excellent, loved that.

Ban All The Music, track 2, twangs in with great stratty tones. The record sounds really excellent. The vocalist invoking Muse for the bridge and chorus.

Another good song, lacks the big hook of the opener.

Wake Up Call - solid bass and drums give way to more Killers / Maroon 5 styled pop. The singer is excellent and delivers another hugely flamboyant vocal.

Digging this, very nice.

Itch - this singer really is a chameleon, his vocal being completely androgynous.

Another big chorus, another catchy song.

If I Get High conjurs Thom Yorke and Radiohead. A bit slower but giving me goosebumps this one, love those guitars.

Another cracking song, really liked this one.

Graveyard Whistling - more moody guitars lead us in, another lovely riff, a bit of a Bono (!) type rasp. Gorgeous chorus, more goosebumps, best song yet.

Not sure when this was recorded but the production is great.

Hostage reminds me of Primal Scream shaking hands with Maroon 5, another catchy pop number with a solid beat and bass rumble. The vocal a great counterpoint.

Trip Switch - dirty bass, nice vocal, big pop chorus. How come I've never heard of these boys before?

Lover, Please Stay - Whoa, this is just a bit too close to Muse for comfort. The singer is all over Matt Bellamy like a cheapo knock off aftershave.

Nice song but bordering on plagarism.

Drawing Pins - another nice bass riff, the singer sounding like a gay Bono before The Killers crash the party to give him a fisting.

Painkiller lifts the pace and bops along, "Your love is a painkiller" over thrashy guitars.

More simple and another I really like. The Killers would love this too.

Tempt You takes things back down. Great range this singer. As I say, a very androgynous vocal.

Honey Whiskey - can't stand the stuff personally but that snare drum has a lovely snap to it.

Another killer pop chorus. Production is fabulous baby.

Hanging plods in with simple bass and drums, understated vocal sets us up for a big chorus and some dirty guitars.

Decent song but not one of the best on offer.

Neon Brother is another which reminds me of that lad from The Killers, builds nicely to some more splashy bombast.

Lacking the catchy hooks of earlier songs. Could have fared better as a B-side.

Six Billion rounds things off - lovely stratty strum, big vocal harmonies, going all Musey, a bit too Musey again.

Another really nice song to finish with.

So, wow. Never heard of these guys before, but this is an album full of slick and excellently composed pop gems.

Now pop music isn't exactly my cup of tea, but this is undeniably excellent.

A bit too familiar with Muse and probably about 3 or 4 songs too long, but nevertheless, I'll give this fucker a worthy 8/10

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Good review @Carvalho Diablo

I think you might have listened to the deluxe version with 16 tracks, mine has 12 on it?

Nail on the head with the Muse and Radiohead vibes. I also get Jeff Buckley from them. 

This is the first track from their 2nd album. Also worth a listen.

I did mate. I'll check out the regular version of the album, curious which songs were omitted.

Great pick.

3 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I did mate. I'll check out the regular version of the album, curious which songs were omitted.

Great pick.

It's a fantastic album, the only surprise is that you'd never heard of it before. @Bjornebye loved it but because he loves Oasis too it's easy to see why it would get overlooked.

I'd go along with the 8/10 as I've listened to it many times. I'm going to listen to the second album as I didn't realise it had been released.

Nothing but Thieves - Nothing but Thieves

Like the last AoW by Mr Paak I’d heard a few of these songs before but not listened to the whole album.

The ones I knew, Excuse Me, Wake Up Call, Itch and Trip Switch are all pretty good, so I don’t know why I never got around to listening to anything else.

@Carvalho Diablo has nailed most of the influences, although Jeff Buckley is the obvious main one for me - Lover Please Stay is the most obvious Buckley homage of all time.

There’s a lot of Muse, and Painkiller put me in mind of The Vines Highly Evolved record. On occasion it does venture into over-produced American style pop rock though, almost approaching heinous stuff like Imagine Dragons. Particularly Hostage - I can’t be doing with that one at all.

All in all though, pretty good, I’m giving it 7.5 / 10.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Tickets on sale this morning for Nothing But Thieves UK tour next Sept/Oct if anyone is interested. 

What’s the deal with gigs over there? Any sign of reopening?

I had tickets to see Fontaines DC in March, which has been postponed to December, but I don’t reckon that will be happening either.

Maybe December 2021.

3 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

What’s the deal with gigs over there? Any sign of reopening?

I had tickets to see Fontaines DC in March, which has been postponed to December, but I don’t reckon that will be happening either.

Maybe December 2021.

I'm laughing because the Fontaines DC first album Dogrel was my "post punk" choice before I selected Nothing but Thieves. I have a personal connection to the Fontaines DC so didn't want to post it in case I took it personally if nobody liked it...

No sign of gigs as yet, well there's some type of limited stuff being trialed. 200 people in venues of 5000 capacity. People in separate cages outdoors where drinks are brought to you. Stuff like that. Seems bollocks to me but I guess they need to do something to keep the industry going. 

41 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I'm laughing because the Fontaines DC first album Dogrel was my "post punk" choice before I selected Nothing but Thieves. I have a personal connection to the Fontaines DC so didn't want to post it in case I took it personally if nobody liked it...

No sign of gigs as yet, well there's some type of limited stuff being trialed. 200 people in venues of 5000 capacity. People in separate cages outdoors where drinks are brought to you. Stuff like that. Seems bollocks to me but I guess they need to do something to keep the industry going. 

Personal connection eh? 
Dogrel is great. A Hero’s Death is good too, not quite as catchy, which probably is good in the long run.

Yeah, sounds pretty shit that gig stuff. 

Murder Capital > Fontaines DC for me. 

No live music is a right cunt. There's a few places here putting socially distanced gigs on. Paradiso has had a few. It's all local bands and most have been doing 2 or 3 sets so they aren't just playing to 30 odd people. Haven't bothered myself. 

Thee Oh Sees seem to have new tour dates for everywhere apart from here. I did get a freebie yesterday for Wire next March so hopefully it all fucks off by then. 

22 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Personal connection eh? 
Dogrel is great. A Hero’s Death is good too, not quite as catchy, which probably is good in the long run.

Yeah, sounds pretty shit that gig stuff. 

Personal was probably over-egging it a bit. In my previous company we did some work in the college where the lads started out and got to know these lads a bit, amongst some other artists. All dead sound so just kinda proud (for the want of a better word) that they've done alright. Tom is a brilliant drummer. I've seen him at trad sessions and with another group who's name escapes me. 

17 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Still want to listen again the the previous offering but will keep things moving along with the incomparable Fess.

014551471813.jpg?w=640&h=640&quality=60&

Don't know how to embed the audio so @Fluter in Dakota take the wheel if you would.

I've never heard of this lad but listening to the first track reminds me of the Kinder advert music. Sounds ace. 

9 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I've never heard of this lad but listening to the first track reminds me of the Kinder advert music. Sounds ace. 

He was/is a national treasure. He died shortly after this recording.

You are getting Dr John on guitar and Johnny Vidacovich on drums on this album as well.

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Still want to listen again the the previous offering but will keep things moving along with the incomparable Fess.

014551471813.jpg?w=640&h=640&quality=60&

Don't know how to embed the audio so @Fluter in Dakota take the wheel if you would.

I'll do my best, @Carvalho Diablo seems to have the wizardry with Spotify. I'll try and put a youtube link up...

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_msHMEm_HbfAoc70V94FKsmQZCR_LQvxSA