You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

Smashing Pumkins - Adore

Not what i was expexting at all. 
As i said nver listened to them before so was expecting more of a 90s sounding rock band. Having read up on the making of
the album it makes more sense. Very interesting sound,ethereal at times with the synths and piannos giving it a very soft and flowling type of feel. The lyrics realy do stand out as a man really going through some difficult shit.
Starting to feel a misrable arsehole with my reviews as again this is one i really wouldn't go back to. Im not keen on his vocals and the album to me feels like its stuck in some sort of dilema of what it wanted to be. Lyrically it feels very much like it could have come from a grunge band, very depressive voacally and lyrically, but with alot of electronics trying to make it feel more upbeet in a weird wishy washy rock sort of way. I think if you listened to this with the normal teenage angst issues then maybe it would hold something for you. I can't really do to much of the grunge/depressive music and i'm really not a fan of a drone/nasilly type of vocalist.  I would like to see this without the elctronics and done like a old MTV Unplugged album where i think the lyrics might have come to the front a little more and not been hidden.

I liked the start of Shame, but felt it never delivered what i was expecting.
It felt like it was slowly building into something and then seemed to fade and and start building up again with ever getting there. Maybe on another heavier album it would?

There are some things here that sound interesting but for me it sounds really mixed up and reading with the shit he was dealing with at the time of writing and recording i guess that makes plenty of sense. I think mostly it's my issue, if the vocals put me off thn i really struggle finding much in the rest of the music. 

Best Track
To Shiela
Also really liked the piano on for Martha and blank page

I don't hate it like i did the last one but i wouldn't go on my playlist

6/10

• Upvote 2

On 9/19/2018 at 9:04 PM, Lee909 said:

Ok, starting to really think what to go for when my pick comes up

I have two albums that i like but wondering if they are a bit long as both are live albums(i think both artists are just that bit better live than in the studio) whats the thoughts on double albums?

I have others if its a no go, no issue

No issue with double albums myself.

As long as you bloody people review the second part of the album, unlike In Rainbows where everybody only reviewed Disc 1. 

Still fairhuuuuuummmmming over that one. 

• Upvote 2

On 9/19/2018 at 12:48 PM, Carvalho Diablo said:

No more reviews of The Fall's Infortainment Scan ?

Okay then, about time for my own new AOW, Adore by Smashing Pumpkins.

I had narrowed this selection down to around 6 or 7 albums, but what made my mind up to choose Adore were the several previous choices by club members, all raw and dirty guitar based albums, so I decided to chhange things up a bit and go all bit electronic, a bit synthy, but still with plenty of guitar. My favourite Pumpkins album is a bit of a black sheep in their cannon of work, largely because of this.

Plenty of melody and haunting tunes, hope you all enjoy it.

Adore by Smashing Pumpkins

You certainly know how to get wangle dangling.

Just now, Skidfingers McGonical said:

No issue with double albums myself.

As long as you bloody people review the second part of the album, unlike In Rainbows where everybody only reviewed Disc 1. 

Still fairhuuuuuummmmming over that one. 

My version of the album only had one disc. Fuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmeeeeeeeee

The Smashing Pumpkins - Adore

This album alienated many SP fans when it came out. Listening back to it now it hasn't aged at all IMO. I remember some mates calling it shite (I wonder what they think now). I guess when you want a huge rocking sound with pounding drums, only then to be faced with electronica, drum machines, acoustics and atmospherics, it would be a huge departure from what you are used to hearing. I really liked the shift in tone first time I heard it and I like it even more as the years have passed. It almost has the feel of a demo album, a bit lo-fi sounding that works very well. I'd even argue that it was slightly ahead of its time as other bands (Radiohead for one example) went on to rely on beat programming as a base in their tracks as the years went on.

There is a vulnerability to Corgan's lyrics and singing on this album that makes it stand out in the SP catalogue. He was never the cheeriest of writers, but this is bleak. Clearly the many issues he faced in his private life poured out onto this album.

Downsides for me is the running length and some loose arrangements. It would have had a much better impact had it been shortened by a good 10 mins overall. I should also mention that it took me a long time to appreciate Corgan's voice. It can be quite grating and I can understand folks who don't like it. But I believe this album is worth the effort.

Tracks:

To Shelia

A nice wandering acoustic ballad opener about loss. An understated, miserable tune which is quite beautiful. Banjo! Great stuff.

Ava Adore

The first single on the album and one that really messed with SP fans. Held together by the drum programming it's got the goth feel but feels so much more than that. Much loved and hated by fans.

Perfect

A sister track to '1979' - radio pop-rock of sorts. Picks up the momentum created from Ava Adore and could almost have been a track from the Mellon Collie album it's so similar in style. Easy listening.

Daphne Descends

I love the sombre-sounding guitars and prodding bass in this. The line "you love him" is just addictive.

Once Upon a Time

Quite introspective and personal. Another great melody.

Tear

Sounds like a metronome just ticking away in the background. Like a heartbeat, slowly beating until it eventually breaks. The violins give an air of grief to the whole track. Brilliant.

Crestfallen

"Who am I....." - a heart wrenching introspective lullaby.

Appels + Oranjes

Has an 80's electronic vibe off it that I like. A bit Depeche Mode in mood. The bassline is excellent on this. The lyrics are a bit shit though. "what if…. "

Pug

Goes from sneering rock to pop. Guitar riff sounds great against that throbbing bassline and electro beat. One of my favourite tracks on the album. Bit like Depeche Mode again -all moody and all synth. Excellent.

The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete

More like a poem put to music. Lovely harmonies in the chorus give it a subtle dreamlike feel. Plucked acoustic guitar prevalent throughout over a poppy beat. Good track.

Annie Dog

He sings like he has almost just given up on everything. His voice barely getting above speaking levels. The piano and drumming/percussion is lovely in this track. The drums in particular sound very close up and immediate. Good track.

Shame

"Love is good and love is kind. Love is good and love is blind" - great line. There are moments in this song where it just seems like he's forgotten to sing, the drum machine still tipping along. I get that he was probably trying to let it "breathe" but it just brought some monotony and boredom to the track and is too long by about 2 minutes.

Behold! The Night Mare

The subtle electronic rhythm starts this one. Lovely piano track creating the atmosphere and a nice acoustic guitar break just after the 2min mark, followed then by a crescendo and screaming electric. An ambitious track that just about works. Lyrically very good - poetry.

For Martha

Song for his deceased mother. Amazing piano intro. Builds up to an epic finish with Guitars at the end that sound more like the typical SP sound that they became famous for. Again too long, but it's a tribute so can’t fight that one. Should have been the closer.

Blank Page

Lovely piano track. Absolutely bleak and depressing. Self-loathing and apologetic lyrics. "Take a day plant some trees, May they shade you from me, May your children play beneath". Brilliant.

Here is some piano music to finish. Now fuck off and stop crying.

An 8.5 out of 10 for me. I think it's a brilliant album and glad to revisit it after so long.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 9/30/2018 at 12:22 PM, Carvalho Diablo said:

Just a quiick reminder, Zonko's next to post his AOW, due around Wednesday next week.

Any reviews of Smashing Pumpkins' Adore incoming fellas?

6 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I had a couple picked out but they were more suitable for chilling in the summer time so I changed my mind.... 

My AOW is "The Future Isn't What It Used to Be" by "Exit Calm". Sadly broke up now but they produced 2 great albums. Hope you enjoy it.

Zonko's keen...

3 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

A day late...

Has a week gone since that was posted? Bloody hell, time flies when you're having lots of wild sex with hot models. Not that I would know, obviously, but it has gone fast.

15 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

So, only a few reviews of Smashing Pumpkins' Adore. Was it really that bad ?

Cheers for your review Zonko, really captured the way I feel about that album too, but it's your turn to post your AOW, whenever you're ready mate.

I'm due to get mine up by Sunday. Review, that is.

8 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

So, only a few reviews of Smashing Pumpkins' Adore. Was it really that bad ?

Cheers for your review Zonko, really captured the way I feel about that album too, but it's your turn to post your AOW, whenever you're ready mate.

My latest pick is above mate...

• Upvote 1