You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

• 2 weeks later...

Listened to Fat Freddy Drops (Blackbird) and it’s a very good, funky album. I recall listening to an album previously that seemed poorly recorded and didn’t sound good at all. This is very differerent. I actually got Leftfield vibes at times. 

Enjoyed this album and I would listen to this album again. I’m not sure if I’d listen to any others in case I stumble across whatever I listened to before. 8.5/10/

Okay, I've decided. My pick is...

Devendra Banhart - Rejoicing in the Hands

This should autoplay the whole album one track after the other. If there's any problems let me know.

The last track "Autumn Child" skips on this playlist. So listen to this one instead.

https://open.spotify.com/album/2s6AIr1sL5P0NAFzqd0zsW

It's also available on Tidal if you want to listen to the album in lossless quality instead. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Boss said:

Okay, I've decided. My pick is...

Devendra Banhart - Rejoicing in the Hands

This should autoplay the whole album one track after the other. If there's any problems let me know.

The last track "Autumn Child" skips on this playlist. So listen to this one instead.

https://open.spotify.com/album/2s6AIr1sL5P0NAFzqd0zsW

It's also available on Tidal if you want to listen to the album in lossless quality instead. 

Quality this - the link does not work - @Carvalho Diablo do your spotify magic.

For cheap bastards use this:

That links to the whole shindig I think.

Cracking tune as well.

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues and The Lyre of Orpheus

First of all I'm not a Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds fan and prior to this have never really gotten through an entire album, for various reasons which I won't list here.

Here we go...

Abattoir Blues:
Banging start to this. Opener "Get ready for Love" flirts between ear bursting guitar/drums and a driving bassline. 
The female vocalists squealing in the background just add to the anxiety of the entire track. 
In fact the choir adds a touch of melody and menace whenever used throughout this record. 

'Cannibal's Hymn' has an earworm of a wandering bassline which grabbed my attention throughout, likewise with 'Hiding All Away' - a pure, dirty blues track which I instantly added to my favourites playlist. 

Enjoyed the guitar on 'Messiah Ward'. 'There she goes, My beautiful World' is elevated by the presence of the choir. 'Nature Boy' is built around an Elton John-like piano foundation which is catchy but ultimately a bit bland.

'Abattoir Blues' - the title track is excellent. An almost 'Murderous' vocal delivery about apocalypse and breakdown - "Mass extinction, darling, hypocrisy".

'Let the Bells Ring' is forgettable. 'Fable of the Brown Ape' see-saws between a quivering vocal delivery over a 'dub' bassline and some blasts of "Goodbye/Farewell", but is ultimately a bit of filler. 

The Lyre of Orpheus:
'The Lyre of Orpheus' - title track to the 2nd side and my favourite track overall. Quite a bonkers tale, laid over jangly guitars and bass. Rhyming Orpheus with Orifice.... "Bunnies dashed their brains out on the trees" haha.

'Breathless' and 'Easy Money' - his voice is excellent here on both.  

'Babe, You Turn Me On' - gorgeous piano. Surely Richard Hawley takes some inspiration from this track?

'Supernaturally' - tell me you can't stop yourself from moving along to this? Furiously played. Brilliant.

'Spell', 'Carry Me' and 'O Children' are atmospheric, attention hugging and sublime. 

Both 'albums' are lyrically excellent with so much to deciper. Themes like fatalism, failure, love, death, hurt and pain; so much more besides. Made sense to split this in two - an album for whatever you mood you find yourself in! I prefer The Lyre of Orpheus oddly. Usually I'd like a more banging record, maybe I'm getting too old. Production is great, with a lush 'full' sound to this album: really punchy when it needs to be on "Disk 1" and easily toned down for the more intimate parts on "Disk 2". The addition of the piano phases and choir have added such a depth to the sound that I wonder what this would sound like live? Did they/Do they play live with a choir? 

I will have missed a lot of the lyrics too so I'll have to listen back, and who knows, I might have just been converted to an admirer of Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds.
7.8/10

• Upvote 1

Devendra Banhart - Rejoicing in the hands

I’d definitely heard of him, definitely hadn’t heard this album before.

For some reason I had in my mind that he was a bit more flamboyant and produced, but maybe I got him confused with someone else.  Or perhaps another of his records is like that?

Anyway, this record isn’t like that at all, it’s mostly simple acoustic guitar that sounds like he just recorded it in one take. One or two of the songs have false starts so probably it was.

I really like his guitar playing though. At first I thought his vocal was a bit affected, so it might have been annoying, but nah I liked it too. Some of the lyrics are silly, but that’s fine with me,(apart from maybe the Elvis song titles bit) and I like that none of the songs outstay their welcome. He’s got a very nice way with melody.

Not sure I’m going to give this a rating, I’m just going to move to the country, grow a beard, smoke some weed and play the guitar all day.

• Upvote 1

Weight: Rollins Band - Left me bored in places to be honest. Sometimes felt like it was nothing different to what I have been seeing from local unsigned bands. Some of the production irritated me. 

However there were a few times that I did like and I really liked Volume 4. 

An acquired taste that I was initally going to describe as “An angrier and much harder Anthony Kiedis” but I won’t. I find Rollins an interesting character, and it took me a few listens of this to realise he’s a performance poet first and foremost then it made sense (the lyrical content of the album) so I will label him “Angrier and much harder Jim Morrison”

6.97/10 Maniacal looks of love and affection out of 10. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 04/04/2022 at 12:02, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Weight: Rollins Band - Left me bored in places to be honest. Sometimes felt like it was nothing different to what I have been seeing from local unsigned bands. Some of the production irritated me. 

An acquired taste that I was initally going to describe as “An angrier and much harder Anthony Kiedis” but I won’t. I find Rollins an interesting character, and it took me a few listens of this to realise he’s a performance poet first and foremost then it made sense (the lyrical content of the album) so I will label him “Angrier and much harder Jim Morrison”

I've listened to this once and I'll listen again before posting on it. Hopefully Stig doesn't neg me too, the cheeky fucker coming in our thread dishing out negs.

• 2 weeks later...

Weighting by Rollins Band.

I don't know how to write this but I have found this album very hard to stay with. It almost at points felt like I was on the set of a horror movie and I was being tranced into submission to be sacrificed. The noises and pacing of the album were really dark and moody.

Not one for me, sadly. 2.4/10.

Review: Devendra Banhart - Rejoicing In The Hands

Never heard of this cat before, intrigued.

[presses play]

First track, This Is The Way, is, I suppose, what I was expecting from him judging on nothing more than his Tidal pic; acoustic, folksy, hippy.

"This is the beard" - minus 1 point for the outrageous hipsterishness.

Pleasant.

A Sight To Behold is better, I like that Morricone like guitar riff and the backing vocals too.

Not sure about Banhart's own throaty warble though.

The Body Breaks has a twee little riff but that acoustic guitar does sound lovely though.

A song about getting older, and it resonates (sadly).

Poughkeepsie starts with another Fistful Of Dollars guitar riff. An interesting voice on this fella, but still I'm not convinced I actually like it.

In no hurry to go to Poughkeepsie after this tbh and his Elvis impersonation needs some work.

Dogs has a Beatlesy riff but there's not much of a song here.

Will Is My Friend - this is much better, benefitting greatly from the bass and keys.

This sounds so familiar although I've never heard this before.

Best song yet.

This Beard Is For Siobhan - another pompous hipster title, I bet this twat wears coarsely knitted cardigans with big leather buttons and holes in them. Expensive designer cardigans.

I like the riff but not the vocals, the crescendo being especially annoying.

See Saw is better, the guitar more prominent, but again, Banhart's vocal style and delivery is so affected, that fucking warble. Sorry mate, I don't get it, it doesn't enhance the song, conversely, it's just fucking annoying.

Tit Smoking is a nice little acoustic interlude.

Title track next - I immediately like the chimey percussion, very Buddhist sounding. Us this fella a Buddhist perhaps?

Beguiling riff; short, nice, one of the better songs so far.

Fall us a fuller sounding track but it does nothing for me, his warbled vocal turning me right off again.

The guitar outro is very welcome though.

Todo Los Delores - a nice, lufgtr moment when they fuck up the start.

One of the best vocals on the album imo.

When The Sun Shone On Vetiver - I like some aftershaves which include vetiver. Creed's Original Vetiver being a particular favourite, especially at this time of year.

The aftershave 9.5, the song 2/10

There Was The Sun is a peculiar 90 second shuffle. A touch bluesy.

Insect Eyes - love that guitar riff with the A minor 7 chord, Tautriadelta feels taking me back 30 years to my LOB days.

Listened to this several times and each time I find myself zoning out from the vocal to concentrate on the guitar.

That's this album in a nutshell I think.

Final song, Autumn's Child is different in so much that it's piano led. Strangely reminiscent of Adore-era Pumpkins, Blank Page?

Love that song, this less so, but still one of my favourites on this record.

A strong way to end.

So then, enjoyed that, definitely a palette cleanser following Rollins.

Likes the guitars, not keen on the vocals.

Prefer Iron & Wine or Songs:Ohia

6.5/10

• Upvote 1

On 04/04/2022 at 12:02, Skidfingers McGonical said:

I want to move this up to 7.29 Maniacal looks of love out of 10. Have given it a few more listens recently. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Any more Rollins or Banhart reviews fellas?

About time for a new album u would have thought, who's next to pick?

I think I'm still behind on a couple, specifically @Skidfingers McGonical Beast or Best Milk and @Boss Rejoicing in the hands...

I believe it's my choice next so I'll get on to those last two albums and consider the next pick....