You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Will get my King Grizzard review up in the next few days.

Anyone seen Zonko around the forum? Perhaps I've just missed his posts by I haven't seen him around in quite a while it seems, hope everything's ok.

He had a set to with someone on the coronavirus thread and hasn't returned since. May be a coincidence though. 

On 26/09/2021 at 11:02, Carvalho Diablo said:

Will get my King Grizzard review up in the next few days.

Anyone seen Zonko around the forum? Perhaps I've just missed his posts by I haven't seen him around in quite a while it seems, hope everything's ok.

Look forward to seeing your thoughts. 

On 07/09/2021 at 21:59, TheHowieLama said:

I am taking a knee on a proper Bad Seeds review - the album and the artist are just, uh - started a couple of times and it became gibberish by the third line.

My new favorite human is the violin guy. Immense.

The Violin Guy was in a band called The Dirty Three before joining Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds. Their album Ocean Songs is fantastic if you've not given it a listen.

• Upvote 2

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Polygondwanaland

Two Melbourne artists in a row picked by the GF Music Review Club. What was the point of me moving all the way down here if you fellas were going to muscle in on my patch?

I quite like the Gizz, was due to go and see them in October with a mate, until it got Covided. I had never listened to this album before though, so nice one @Shooter in the Motor.

Also took the opportunity to listen to the newest one plus a couple of older ones too.

Whilst they all do sound different, they somehow all sound the same at the same time if you know what I mean?

Recent albums they seem to have one idea and then just riff on it, on “KG” the idea was middle eastern on “Butterfly” it is Asian pop.

Polygondwanaland is more of a classic psych rock kind of deal. I like it, it’s pretty good, without any real stand out amazing songs.

I’ll give it 7/10

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Polygondwanaland

Two Melbourne artists in a row picked by the GF Music Review Club. What was the point of me moving all the way down here if you fellas were going to muscle in on my patch?

I quite like the Gizz, was due to go and see them in October with a mate, until it got Covided. I had never listened to this album before though, so nice one @Shooter in the Motor.

Also took the opportunity to listen to the newest one plus a couple of older ones too.

Whilst they all do sound different, they somehow all sound the same at the same time if you know what I mean?

Recent albums they seem to have one idea and then just riff on it, on “KG” the idea was middle eastern on “Butterfly” it is Asian pop.

Polygondwanaland is more of a classic psych rock kind of deal. I like it, it’s pretty good, without any real stand out amazing songs.

I’ll give it 7/10

Pretty much how I feel. I’ve listened to this about 20 times and as you say it’s pretty good, but it also feels too long in parts. 

Crumbling Castle was my favourite. 

I’ll give this 7.21/10 Gizzards.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Pretty much how I feel. I’ve listened to this about 20 times and as you say it’s pretty good, but it also feels too long in parts. 

Yeah Crumbling Castle is boss, especially the fast wig out near the end.

I understand how the band just writes loads of songs, but the fella writing the lyrics must have a tough job keeping up when it’s 2 or 3 albums a year.

33 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I missed the last entry so am on it now. Good.

Just popped in to say Flying Microtonal Banana - will have review up after a few more listens - there are a lot of notes and stuff in this.

From what I can gather, they have either added or modified the notes on the guitar so it almost sounds like it's out of tune or they can make new notes.

They are crzay cats.

On 03/10/2021 at 10:12, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Impressive managing to give it 20 listens. That's pretty detemined or a sign of enjoyment.

On 03/10/2021 at 10:54, Jose Jones said:

Yeah Crumbling Castle is boss, especially the fast wig out near the end.

I understand how the band just writes loads of songs, but the fella writing the lyrics must have a tough job keeping up when it’s 2 or 3 albums a year.

That opening track is one of their best tracks I've heard. I've listened to so many of their albums and it's hard to get bored of them as they just explore so much music.

• 2 weeks later...

Beast Milk - Climax

When I saw the band name and album title I was fearing that it was a second one of @Skidfingers McGonical's picks that I was going to hate.

I thought it was going to be Norwegian death metal with songs about bestiality and necrophilia.

Turns out I was wrong, they're from Finland.

Also turns out it's not death metal, more 80s influenced indie/goth rock stuff (perhaps a touch Interpol-y in places).

Also turns out I quite liked it.

Still maybe not there with the lyrics, but the music was pretty good.  Favourite song is probably "You Are Now Under Our Control".

I'll give it 6/10.

• Upvote 2

On 20/10/2021 at 23:48, Jose Jones said:

Beast Milk - Climax

When I saw the band name and album title I was fearing that it was a second one of @Skidfingers McGonical's picks that I was going to hate.

I thought it was going to be Norwegian death metal with songs about bestiality and necrophilia.

Turns out I was wrong, they're from Finland.

Also turns out it's not death metal, more 80s influenced indie/goth rock stuff (perhaps a touch Interpol-y in places).

Also turns out I quite liked it.

Still maybe not there with the lyrics, but the music was pretty good.  Favourite song is probably "You Are Now Under Our Control".

I'll give it 6/10.

Ha! I was originally going to pick Piss Grave*

I like throwing in the Scandinavian influences I have in here. As most people presume it’s Black Metal, and horrible. The vibe and groove that comes out of their rock music is ace. Proper old school 70’s, stoner and gruff vocal vibes.

Then there is the black metal. Which to be fair is mostly about forests and being scared shitless of what could be out there. Just behind that is the necrophilia section. But there is some astounding instrument playing on the majority of all tunes.

My mate is a walking encyclopaedia of Black Metal (he used to write a fanzine and has interviewed loads of Black Metal bands over the years) and he’s shown me some that are a lot more accessible (a lot of easier on the ear and mind) Also there are some amazing crazy out there bands Virus. However, not for everyone. 

Lyrically this album falls short of some of the classics we have listened to, however musically I feel it’s a banging album for the majority of it. I can definitely agree with the Interpol reference.

* I wasn’t. Piss Grave made an album that is meant depict the sounds of being murdered. It’s horrible. Like, properly horrible.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Review : King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - Polygondwanaland

Apologies about the lateness of my review fellas, been really busy with work and (mostly) with watching telly and stuffing my face.

Anyway, I have heard of these before...

[presses play]

The album kicks off with Crumbling Castle; offbeats, rim shots, reminiscences of Gregorian monks chanting and a distinctive melodious guitar.

The lyrics aren't making a great deal of sense to me but the music I like; proggy, a bit punky perhaps and very 70s.

Dig the synth loop in the breakdown, the whole song takes its time, big hooks and rhythms suck you in.

Easily the longest and best song on the album.

Track 2 is the title track, Polygondwanaland starts slower and it's not a musically dense.

Lovely crisp drums and clever choice of chords.

Pleasant, interesting, doesn't really grab me though.

Inner Cell falls somewhere between those first 2 songs. Interesting, laid back, nice drumming, nice chorus, forgettable.

Loyalty falls off the back of Inner Cell seamlessly.

Again, these guys have their own very distinctive style. Unique.

Lovely xylophone and flute and more tasteful drumming.

I bet these would be great to see live.

Horology flows in next. Love that chorus, great chord progression and note selection. Those flutes remind me a bit of Nick Cave's Orpheus.

Another strong song.

Tetrachromancy is a bit of a let down after that. More excellent drums though.

Searching...starts all percussive and rhythmic but doesn't really go anywhere for me.

Filler, forgettable.

The Fourth Colour bookends the album and is much better. Picking up the pace with it's odd and nimble time signature.

A lovely guitar melody and vocal rounds. The song ends abruptly before rocking tfo to the very end.

Nice one.

So another very different album selection from our resident chameleon. Polygondwanaland doesn't always hit the highest if highs but neither does it suck.

Very interesting and relaxing, enjoyable.

6.5/10 seems about right.

• Upvote 1