You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

4 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

I have listened - will get one written.

Put up another.

Same, listened a couple of times and really liked it. Definitely a risky pick but paid off. Review before the end of the week.

Around 25 years ago, an old girlfriend gave me Cave's Murder Ballads album and I absolutely loved it. Full of wicked dark humour, Murder Ballads piqued my interest in The Bad Seeds

I fell lucky too I think, Abattoir Blues falls bang in the middle of Cave's finest run of records:

The Boatman's Call

Murder Ballads

And No More Shall We Part

Abattoir Blues

Push The Sky Away

What an incredibly consistent run of stellar records. Chuck in a soundtrack or three, (Cave and Warren Ellis' Jesse James soundtrack is sublime) and some incredible live performances, and I believe Cave is one of the greatest artists of our time.

His lyrics too man...

• Upvote 1

Genesis Owusu - Smiling with No Teeth

So - it's good.

First tune is not one of my favorites tbh. Second one as well if I am honest. Sets up the "concept" lyrically.

Love the guy's drawl in alot of the vocal deliveries. Also very cool effects that sound like a vocoder but I think are multitracked vocals - like the hook in Centrefold (the outro on this is nice as well - smmooove). Could do without the autotune on top of the next track - Waitin On Ya - but that it is a great tune over all - like the beat, great vocal hook.

Tremendous little horn section part in that towards the end as well. 

It jumps all over the place - a little too disco/dance in parts for me - but I find the vocal parts/fx interesting throughout

Drown is a good example of that.

Also love the track I Don't See No Colour - and the end of Whip Cracker is great lyrically and musically.

Extra points for the tune in 3/4 - good tune that "casting my net in a fishless lake." Good stuff.

Sonically and lyrically interesting throughout - "Everybody wants the summer without holding the rain" especially ringing as my oldest daughter has a tattoo saying "No rain, No Flowers", so a little similar mindset there.

No Looking Back is a sweet soul shot at the end - I am sure there is a lyrical/story reason for Bye Bye but I wish it ended with the shot of soul.

Definitely will add a couple of these to regular rotation.

8/10

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Around 25 years ago, an old girlfriend gave me Cave's Murder Ballads album and I absolutely loved it. Full of wicked dark humour, Murder Ballads piqued my interest in The Bad Seeds

I fell lucky too I think, Abattoir Blues falls bang in the middle of Cave's finest run of records:

The Boatman's Call

Murder Ballads

And No More Shall We Part

Abattoir Blues

Push The Sky Away

What an incredibly consistent run of stellar records. Chuck in a soundtrack or three, (Cave and Warren Ellis' Jesse James soundtrack is sublime) and some incredible live performances, and I believe Cave is one of the greatest artists of our time.

His lyrics too man...

He's a fucking genius. All his albums are great going back as far as Birthday Party and Boys Next Door. I don't think there's an artist on the planet that's ever had such a run of consistency. What a band the Bad Seeds are as well. Such talent amongst them currently and past. Absolutely amazing live band. 

I also used to love that Cave used to tell interviewers that he was born with a tail. 

• Upvote 3

Genesis Owusu - Smiling With No Teeth

Just loading this up again while I write this...

On The Move! Intro track, nice beats and actually reminds me of Radiohead when they went electronic.

The Other Black Dog, I can see what CD meant by Gorillaz. Very reminiscent.

Centrefold, very quirky production and sounds effects. I like this style and the first variation in the style. Seems to have a decent signing voice.

Waitin' On Ya, Kanye West style autotune mixed with the previous tracks vocals. Very good to this point.

Don't Need You, this was the first track that really sounded like Bloc Party vocals. I was convinced it was him. Good vibes here.

Drown, totally different but even more reminiscent of Bloc Party. No-one could accuse him of being predictable.

Gold Chains, the first drop in vibe and probably the weakest track so far. Still not exactly bad and has it's moments in the sun.

Smiling With No Teeth, title track so you'd expect big things of it. But the lull hits a second track. But it's a nice relaxing track, just seems out of place on this album.

I Don't See Colour, this is back to the previous tracks. Tribal bass and ready for action!

Black Dogs, he definitely has a Bloc Party style to some of his music. I do like the style of this music.

Whip Cracker, this is very punky so he seems to have his styles seperated but defined. I assume this is electronic music and not with a backing band?

Easy, soft vocals leading into punk/rap. If I had to place him anywhere, this is where I'd put him.

A Song About Fishing, and just when I had him sussed he comes out with a ballad. If I'm honest though, this would soar as a title by a multi vocalist band. He can write a song (assuming he's the writer).

No Looking Back, very nice laid back vibe to this - quite a decent outro so far...

Bye Bye, I would have preferred to finish on the previous track. But seems to bring all his vocal styles to thiis track.

Overall a very good album, lots of styles and good production. Listened a few times and would definitely listen again. 9/10.

• 2 weeks later...

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues / The Lyre of Orpheus

This is the record that I knew the best out of all those chosen in the club so far, so the review will probably be even worse than my normal ones.

I love Nick Cave, and have seen him and the Bad Seeds a few times as well as a Grinderman gig, and one where Cave was solo on the piano for the first half before full band in the second.

As cloggy mentioned above they are always tremendous live, and Cave is a consummate performer. 

Also going from what cloggy said, it's tricky to pick the peak of the Nick Cave's career as there is so much good stuff, the band is in really peak form on Abattoir Blues & The Lyre of Orpheus though - this might be peak Bad Seeds. 

I also normally don't dig double albums, I think 45-50 minutes is the ideal length for an album, but I am definitely making an exception in this case.  It might be because Abattoir Blues / The Lyre of Orpheus are so obviously two separate records, with more bluesy rock on Abattoir Blues, while The Lyre of Orpheus has more gentle love songs.  Or it could just be because they are chock full of brilliant songs all the way through.

Abattoir Blues has top notch gospel-y stonkers "Get Ready for Love", "There She Goes, My Beautiful World" and "Let the Bells Ring", the quieter ones like "Cannibal's Hymn" and "Abattoir Blues" are lovely, then "Hiding All Away" is hilarious genius.

"Nature Boy" would probably fit on Lyre with "Babe, You Turn Me On" and "Breathless" (love that song).  I also really love the sea shanty stomp of "Supernaturally" before it finishes all off with the magnificent "O Children".  Even the "lesser" songs like "Easy Money" and "Spell" are melodic magic.

Basically this record/these records is/are totally fantastic. 9.5/10

• Upvote 2

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues / The Lyre of Orpheus

I am struggling to write something that hasn't already been said about this album. So as per, I will keep it as simple as me.

It's a work of art and beauty in everything that emanates from it into and then into your ears.

The mix and production is also superb, everything just seems to sit just right and where it needs to be.

Favourite Tracks

Abattoir Blues

Get Ready For Love

Messiah Ward

Nature Boy

Abattoir Blues

Let The Bells Ring

The Lyre of Orpheus:

The Lyre of Orpheus (That riff that lies underneath "O Mama")

Breathless (Even though the recorder at the start burns my head and triggers memories of being forced to learn that bastard instrument in primary school)

Babe, You Turn Me On (some beautiful musical moments in this that sit subtly underneath)

Supernaturally

Carry Me.

O Children (Exquisite)

A double disc LP that works, and doesn't get boring (maybe apart from Easy Money with it being 6m45sec long)

I love it and always have done. I really need to go and see them live.

A solid 9.23/10

• Upvote 2

I've listened to three quarters of the Nick Cave album, first album of his I've listened to. Only other songs of his were with Kylie and on a western film he featured in. 

Once finished with first listen, I have to listen again because some was brilliant and some was boring. But having never heard him before it's not right to only listen once. 

I am gonna have to jump in that same boat - might be one for the musical amnesty thread but I have not listened, maybe ever, knowingly.

Time and place I guess.

Do like the band alot - went back and listened to Murder Ballads and the piano record. Great stuff.

Am I square if I say my favorite so far is Dig, Lazuras, Dig?

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

I am gonna have to jump in that same boat - might be one for the musical amnesty thread but I have not listened, maybe ever, knowingly.

Time and place I guess.

Do like the band alot - went back and listened to Murder Ballads and the piano record. Great stuff.

Am I square if I say my favorite so far is Dig, Lazuras, Dig?

Not square, just the wrong record.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm giving nick cave a 7/10. Some of the album is outstanding and they can definitely play. Nick's voice is good and loads of good backing vocals, just some of the lower tempo tracks feel a little out of place. I've heard more tracks on my rotation and happy to hear more from the Aussie crooner. 

On 23/08/2021 at 23:55, Carvalho Diablo said:

OK so the band I've chosen is based on the homeland of the last act. Is it INXS? Men At Work? Powderfinger? AC/DC? Kylie and Jason? 

Nope. 

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard. 

Yes. You read that right. 

The album is their latest (I believe their nineteenth studio album since their formation in 2010. They're a psychedelic rock band and they are pretty darned awesome live. 

Edit... 

The album is Polygondwanaland... 

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=RxIjUy6_u-I&feature=share

2 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

OK so the band I've chosen is based on the homeland of the last act. Is it INXS? Men At Work? Powderfinger? AC/DC? Kylie and Jason? 

Nope. 

The album is their latest (I believe their nineteenth studio album since their formation in 2010. They're a psychedelic rock band and they are pretty darned awesome live. 

Edit... 

Nice one, although I think Polygondwanaland was about 7 albums ago!

Their newest one is called Butterfly 3000.

3 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Nice one, although I think Polygondwanaland was about 7 albums ago!

Their newest one is called Butterfly 3000.

Yes, I originally selected Butterfly 3000 and changed it a few minutes later. Both albums are very different with the new one being more dependent on synth melodies.

On 03/09/2021 at 22:40, Shooter in the Motor said:

Nope. 

Edit... 

Just taking my first listen to this now lads and my immediate thought is that Shooter needs to lay off the drugs.

Enjoying it though, I think?

On 03/09/2021 at 23:40, Shooter in the Motor said:

Nope. 

Edit... 

If you like these get onto Thee Oh Sees (various spellings). Best live band around for at least the last 10 years or so. I warn you now though, there's a John Dwyer rabbit hole you can just vanish down. 

Also see Ty Segall. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Just taking my first listen to this now lads and my immediate thought is that Shooter needs to lay off the drugs.

Enjoying it though, I think?

This is exactly why I chose them. They are extremely eclectic, proper crazy and totally out there and yet there's a lot to like about them. And that name.