You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

1 hour ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Shopping - The Official Body

Overall these are a well rehearsed and tight band and good at what they do, but do they offer anything different for the style of music they do? Not for me. This left me dissapointed as I have heard their style a million times before. Didn't offer me anything new, but it was still an enjoyablke listen. 7/10.

Neil Young - Harvest

What else can be said about this album, it's a classic. Old Man and Needle & The Damage Done are my two favourites. 9/10 from me Jim.

Poptastic, mate. 

3 hours ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

The lyrics are based on the book that was written with the album.

I knew this would divide and I honestly thought you would like the production on this. How wrong I was ha!

I liked the production; clean, crisp, sharp, immersive.

• Upvote 1

As it's a quiet day in the office I can finally getting round to listening to Lucinda Williams. I can hear loads of different female vocalists in her style (Ones she may have influenced rather than the other way round) Sheryl Crow, Nina Persson, Fiona Apple to name a few.

Nice easy listening so far.

7 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

And for those who like their music heavy, check out my mates band who have just released their latest single 'Innate'

Spotify Page https://open.spotify.com/artist/1KY7kMH2jv62jBykA23GHu?si=MukGKpnkT3aQ7C0ijO3T4w

Yea, quite like that. Wasn't expecting to see a Les Paul in the video though. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Yea, quite like that. Wasn't expecting to see a Les Paul in the video though. 

You are clearly a man of great taste in heavy music.

It's not a Les Paul mate ( I had to text to clairfy I was right). It's a PRS. Stu does have a Les Paul though.

Yes, I am a massive fanboy and I get access to the inital writing stage and then all the pre-release listens and I actually play 6 notes on their track Planets (Spotify) didn't get a credit though the cunts.

Bias aside, these are the best unsigned band I have heard in the "metal" and "alterntive metal" scene. Every time they play with other bands they are leagues and leagues ahead in quality of skill, tightness and creativity.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Tell you what that Lucinda Williams was really enjoyable. Always really good to have something new that I’ve never given any listening time to before. 

7.97/10. 

When I get more time I’m going to look at writing track by track reviews rather than how I have on the last few. 

I really enjoyed that album too. Never even heard of her before Shooter picked that album.

Don't feel encumbered to do a track by track either mate, reviews can be as long or as short as you see fit and don't have to take any specific format.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Any more reviews of the Ulver album to come?

Don't know about you lads but I'm ready for a new AOW.

Who's next to pick?

I have to put a review up, it will be brief tomorrow. It's @ZonkoVille77 next, don't be fucking shite.

Actually, fuck it. It's my birthday today and I'm on my 2nd bottle of wine and listening to this banger of an album that blew me away when it first came out. It may be too long but it has so much going on that you hear something new every time. Turn it up loud. 

Lateralus by Tool. 

lateralus-51b0c267a40ba-e1544218652314-900x625.jpg

• Upvote 2

Happy Birthday Zonks for a couple of days ago. I missed that a new record had been posted.

Ulver are a funny outfit. I've had songs come on to my suggested listening list since listening to the album that are absolutely brilliant and prompt me to listen to the suggested song again. But this album is hard work. It's a genuine conundrum. They clearly have talent and can make a good song, but for some reason it hasn't happened on this record.

I wonder if the wrong album was selected or if different strokes and all that. 5/10.

28 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Happy Birthday Zonks for a couple of days ago. I missed that a new record had been posted.

Ulver are a funny outfit. I've had songs come on to my suggested listening list since listening to the album that are absolutely brilliant and prompt me to listen to the suggested song again. But this album is hard work. It's a genuine conundrum. They clearly have talent and can make a good song, but for some reason it hasn't happened on this record.

I wonder if the wrong album was selected or if different strokes and all that. 5/10.

So, if in doubt blame Skids?

Works for me.

I've been listening to most of the albums as it's always a nice way to pass a little time.

Mostly fine, love Public Service Broadcasting, don't really get the love forr Lucinda Williams, it's nice enough but a touch saccrine and know Niel Young, but never really got it.

But Ulver?

Fucking hell that awful, what is it trying to be?

Mad.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I've been listening to most of the albums as it's always a nice way to pass a little time.

Mostly fine, love Public Service Broadcasting, don't really get the love forr Lucinda Williams, it's nice enough but a touch saccrine and know Niel Young, but never really got it.

But Ulver?

Mad.

Like a Code death cult.

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

But Ulver?

Mad.

The doors have swung open and in walks the unexpected gun toter. Sort of like how The Three Amigos appeared and started singing and dancing, to be followed by the real deal a little later.

On 08/05/2021 at 22:23, ZonkoVille77 said:

Actually, fuck it. It's my birthday today and I'm on my 2nd bottle of wine and listening to this banger of an album that blew me away when it first came out. It may be too long but it has so much going on that you hear something new every time. Turn it up loud. 

Lateralus by Tool. 

lateralus-51b0c267a40ba-e1544218652314-900x625.jpg

Happy birthday and I’ve been giving 10,000 Days a good run out recently. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

But Ulver?

Mad.

9 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

So, if in doubt blame Skids?

Works for me.

Looks like it. I genuinely like that album, and it n particular it’s production. Granted the lyrics are shite but I knew it would be one that would split opinion.

3 hours ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Looks like it. I genuinely like that album, and it n particular it’s production. Granted the lyrics are shite but I knew it would be one that would split opinion.

I like the music and production too, I think it's excellent. He has a good voice too in fairness. 

• Upvote 1