You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

• 2 weeks later...

Review: Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels On A Gravel Road

Another artist I've never heard of. Shooter mentioned Americana; good, I'm enjoying that stuff more and more recently.

[presses play]

Right In Time immediately sounds big and lush with a huge, joyous catchy chorus.

Loving the guitars, strummed chords and rich bass.

I read you lot comparing Lucinda's vocals to Sheryl Crow and I totally get that. Love the sexy, lazy southern drawl, also reminds me of Jennifer Charles of Elysian Fields / Lovage.

Really great start.

The title track is next and bounces along, driven by a lovely snappy snare drum.

Lucinda sings about freedom in a wistful song, the chorus isn't as strong as the opener and neither is the song.

2 Cool 2 B 4 Gotten - gorgeous wavy tremolo on those guitars. Lucinda even gives me Chrissie Hynde vibes on this, slower and really nice.

Hey hey great vocal.

Drunken Angel - the opening riff reminds me of something I just can't put my finger on.

Another outstanding vocal, reinforced by some splendid backing vocals.

Concrete and Barbed Wire is stripped down and altogether more folky.

"Concrete and burbed wah" / dey turk ur jurbs.

Lovely slide guitar. Not my fave but another strong song.

Lake Charles is a fantastic laid back lazy number, possibly my favourite on the album. Takes me right back to Lake Pontchartrain and my Big Easy days.

Love the gentle vocal, just gorgeous.

Can't Let You Go is jiggy and groovy with wonderful dobro and slide guitars.

The musicianship is phenomenal on this record.

Knockout guitar solo.

I Lost It comes in with the snap snap of that wonderful snare, the guitars following and then yet another brilliant vocal melody.

Huge chorus, love it.

Metal Firecracker had single stamped all over it. Simple and very radio friendly. Nice.

Greenville has a sorrowful Lucinda telling her ex to pack his shit and bugger off.

Fantastic vocal melody.

This quieter, more sparse gives rise to the audible clipping this record suffers from. A definite victim of "the loudness wars", the guy responsible for mastering this record also needs a clip...round the back of his head. A victim of the times, lots of records suffered because of this but it's just about the only criticism I have of this outstanding album.

Still I Long For Your Kiss - Sheryl Crow would kill for this song.

Love the sound of that gritty overdriven guitar.

Great bridge.

Joy - pluck those fuckin' strings fellas! Just a joyous intro. Wonderful choppy slide guitar solo, a bit Thorogood "Gear Jammer".

Jackson - our tour of the south continues, acoustic shining this time.

Beautiful vocal.

So much of this album feels so familiar, it all just fits and sits together perfectly.

One of my favourites, gorgeous solo.

Down The Big Road Blues is another tune which just sounds so traditional yet fresh but familiar.

The guitar on the left is brilliant, all Gear Jammered up again, great solo.

Out Of Touch is the last song, the vocal again reminds me of Chrissie Hynde.

Cracking backing vocals, wonderful harmonies and the mournful fiddle is the icing on the cake.

A wonderful way to end a wonderful album.

I won't mince words, brilliant from start to finish and undoubtedly one of my favourite albums chosen in our club to date.

Bravo Lucinda, bravo Shooter. 9.5/10

• Upvote 1

Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels on a Gravel Road

She's another one of those people I'd heard of, but never listened to a whole album of before.  As it turns out the only song I'd heard before on this one is Right in Time - and what a great song that is.

At first listen through I thought it might be a little bit past my twang threshold in places, but I've listened to it quite a lot and I really like it.  

There are maybe a couple of spots where it hits the country clichés slightly on the nose for my liking, and I could also do with a bit more dirt.  Still it's a pretty fucking good record.

8.5/10 for me. 

• Upvote 1

On 21/01/2021 at 15:25, Shooter in the Motor said:

Looks like it’s @Skidfingers McGonical turn.

Although he does owe us Neil Young and Lucinda Williams reviews, so might be another month before we get a new record eh Skids?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Looks like it’s @Skidfingers McGonical turn.

Although he does owe us Neil Young and Lucinda Williams reviews, so might be another month before we get a new record eh Skids?

I still owe a reveiew for Shopping as well to be fair.

I'll get them up tonight.

Do you want me to give you a record to listen to?

5 hours ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

I still owe a reveiew for Shopping as well to be fair.

I'll get them up tonight.

Do you want me to give you a record to listen to?

782578789c60ff95c9f9db701dfac609.gif

Ulver - Flowers of Evil

Never heard of these guys before, and, well I’d be glad not to hear them ever again.

Sounds like a Christian prog Eurovision entry.

Not for me at all. One saving grace is that it’s not longer than 37 minutes.

3/10

Sorry skidders! 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Ulver - Flowers of Evil

Never heard of these guys before, and, well I’d be glad not to hear them ever again.

Sounds like a Christian prog Eurovision entry.

Not for me at all. One saving grace is that it’s not longer than 37 minutes.

3/10

Sorry skidders! 

Never apologise mate, unless you’re praising Oasis.

I’m trying to avoid stuff I know everyone will like.

The album is based on the book by the singer. Phenomenal creative output from them. The production is phenomenal in my opinion. And what they do with the space in the songs. You make a valid point on the length of the album. Anything above that would have made it less enjoyable (for me anyways)

• Upvote 1

Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels On A Gravel Road

I had heard of her but never listened to anything by her. Not typically my thing but I really like this record. 
Various themes sprawl the record; heartbreak, broken trust, bar brawls, hope. Everything you'd want from Americana.
Her rock/country, loose, emotional delivery is fitting for each theme and excellent each time. Each track a story.

I agree with CD on the 'Loudness' of this record.
It has that "pump it up to the max" which is so prevalent from this era but I don't think it suffers for it. 
The guitars are crisp and on point. The bass well balanced in between. 

Top Tracks:
Still I Long for Your Kiss - love the guitar on this
Concrete And Barbed Wire - proper country tune
Greenville
Metal Firecracker

Easy 8.5/10

Nice one, Shooter

• Upvote 1

On 14/04/2021 at 06:47, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Check out Flowers Of Evil by Ulver.

Will catch up on the three I need to review.

82986A26-4B3B-46AE-8071-4B151D2D058B.jpeg

Hearing Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, D.A.F - even my mate Mariusz Duda of Lunctic Soul/Riverside fame - I could go on. 

Right up my street.

Flowers of Evil - Ulver

Never heard of these guys. After I finished listening to this album Spotify went to some of their older stuff which is rockier and I really liked, so I'll be revisiting them.

Weird one this one though.... I like this and don't like it. I found it hard to review so I'll just add a few lines about it.

I would really prefer to listen to this without any singing or lyrics; lyrically it's fuckin' shite.
Trying to come across as profound but failing miserably but I guess without the lyrics the tunes might not exist however, so catch 22... 

Musically this is right up my street though. I really enjoy this type of 'synth pop/industrial/machine/droning' sound that's going on throughout. Has quite a nostalgic 80s feel to it. The singer has a decent voice in fairness that really suits the music. 

Stand Out Tracks:
Nostalgia

A Thousand Cuts

Machine Guns and Peacock Feathers - (sounding like a dance track for manic depressives)
Russian Doll

8.5/10 if I could listen to this as an instrumental album
5/10 with the lyrics included

• Upvote 3

Review: Ulver - Flowers of Evil

Never heard of them but looking at the album cover and title, perhaps Scando death metal?

[presses play]

...or perhaps something entirely different altogether.

Opener, One Last Dance is synthy, the vocalist a little bit Scott Walker.

"Holy mountain, burning lions, eternal war". Hmm, not sure about those lyrics or the vocals, but the music is okay. Interesting start.

Russian Doll is more of the same, although I prefer the opener due to the vocal melody. This really doesn't go anywhere.

Inoffensive but doesn't excite in any way.

Machine Guns and Peacocks. Interesting song title.

"Michael and his angels versus the dragon"...er okay. Are these guys Scando's singing in English because something is very, very wrong here.

Bizarre.

Hour of The Wolf - this whole album sounds very 80's but Spotify says it was released last year.

Production is crisp but this is all background muzak to my ears.

Like incidental film music, nothing whatsoever jumping out and grabbing my attention, except perhaps for some truly pompous lyrics.

I quite like the synthy chimes and distant guitar solo.

Apocalypse 1993 is a bit more upbeat, the first couple of bars give a Radio Gaga vibe.

This singer though, he's really getting on my tits : "Ezekiel chapter 9 / the word of King David / the secrets of the 7 seas"...sorry Skids but this is bollocks.

Little Boy - nice bass riff but that's soon interrupted by this doyle whittering on about golden eagles. Has this fella been on the mushrooms?

I like the plaintiff electric guitar line underneath the chorus.

Nostalgia has a somewhat jaunty beat.

"Norway, 35 years ago..." [sighs]

The chorus is the highlight, particularly the female backing vocal.

A Thousand Cuts - sadly, that's what listening to this record feels like; a joyless, sombre and confusing experience.

To be honest, the singer can stick his "story of 2 young lovers" right up his arsehole.

Terrible way to end a terrible album.

You win some, you lose some and taste is always entirely subjective, but production aside, I fucking detested Ulver's Flowers of Evil from the very beginning to the very end.

1/10 Sorry Skidders

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Never heard of them but looking at the album cover and title, perhaps Scando death metal?

[presses play]

"Holy mountain, burning lions, eternal war". Hmm, not sure about those lyrics or the vocals, but the music is okay. Interesting start.

Russian Doll is more of the same, although I prefer the opener due to the vocal melody. This really doesn't go anywhere.

"Michael and his angels versus the dragon"...er okay. Are these guys Scando's singing in English because something is very, very wrong here.

Bizarre.

Hour of The Wolf - this whole album sounds very 80's but Spotify says it was released last year.

Like incidental film music, nothing whatsoever jumping out and grabbing my attention, except perhaps for some truly pompous lyrics.

Apocalypse 1993 is a bit more upbeat, the first couple of bars give a Radio Gaga vibe.

This singer though, he's really getting on my tits : "Ezekiel chapter 9 / the word of King David / the secrets of the 7 seas"...sorry Skids but this is bollocks.

Little Boy - nice bass riff but that's soon interrupted by this doyle whittering on about golden eagles. Has this fella been on the mushrooms?

A Thousand Cuts - sadly, that's what listening to this record feels like; a joyless, sombre and confusing experience.

To be honest, the singer can stick his "story of 2 young lovers" right up his arsehole.

You win some, you lose some and taste is always entirely subjective, but production aside, I fucking detested Ulver's Flowers of Evil from the very beginning to the very end.

1/10 Sorry Skidders

oof. I've listened to the first 4 tracks - pacing myself on this one...

17 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

[presses play]

Bizarre.

1/10 Sorry Skidders

The lyrics are based on the book that was written with the album.

I knew this would divide and I honestly thought you would like the production on this. How wrong I was ha!

Shopping - The Official Body

Overall these are a well rehearsed and tight band and good at what they do, but do they offer anything different for the style of music they do? Not for me. This left me dissapointed as I have heard their style a million times before. Didn't offer me anything new, but it was still an enjoyablke listen. 7/10.

Neil Young - Harvest

What else can be said about this album, it's a classic. Old Man and Needle & The Damage Done are my two favourites. 9/10 from me Jim.

• Upvote 1