You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

On 15/02/2021 at 08:42, Jose Jones said:

Alright then, Shopping are a three piece, two girls, one guy (think he’s on the drums).

They released an album a few months back called “All or Nothing” which is pretty good. Not quite as good as their previous one from a couple of years ago, “The Official Body”, so I’ve gone for that.

Might be a bit too “art student” for some? Let’s find out:

https://open.spotify.com/album/27kGBG8fN2SrgSM2ERqsjt?si=RMdzC7YFTVqGp2ruOBXJ4Q

Can't make my mind up on this one. I'll need a few more listens. 

As an aside have you heard of Goat Girl? I think you'd like them, new album is good. 

An old track - https://open.spotify.com/album/2XX3TZR7iBqR0736AJvQtM?si=Btj-aDeqS-CExlPxq3Z5vA

• Upvote 1

On 20/02/2021 at 03:53, ZonkoVille77 said:

Can't make my mind up on this one. I'll need a few more listens. 

As an aside have you heard of Goat Girl? I think you'd like them, new album is good. 

An old track - https://open.spotify.com/album/2XX3TZR7iBqR0736AJvQtM?si=Btj-aDeqS-CExlPxq3Z5vA

You’re right, I did like that new Goat Girl album. Nice one, brother.

Shopping - The Official Body

I had never heard of theses guys before....

The Hype
First thing that strikes me is how "immediate" the sound is, and quite lo-fi. Not much in the way of studio alchemy but the recording is good. Feel like I'm in the same room as these guys. The bass and guitar grooving here and really complementing each other. Feels quite basic in style but I can't help to nod along. Both singers come from that group of 80s "singers" that couldn't really sing but whose voice suited the music they made.

Wild Child
Great little bassline here. Before she starts singing I'm picturing this as a Jam track and a load of "mods" bopping. 
The guys can certainly groove and this is music to dance to. The synth is a nice addition to the chorus.

Asking for a Friend
Decent riff. Basic song structure again so I guess this is these guys signature. The duelling vocals fitting a tried and tested formula. 
Repetitive though and not going anywhere.

Suddenly Gone
Kicking off at somebody in particular. Guitar playing is decent here. 
Repeats and fades out. Not doing anything for me.

Shave Your Head
I thought this was a Kaiser Chiefs track when it started. 
There's nothing I can say about this that I haven't already said above, sadly. 

Discover
OK a slight change of style with a synth start. Slightly electronic punk.
Some heavier EDM style additions to the production and this could pass as a Prodigy influenced track (think 'Girls' from Always Outnumbered). Potential here with further production but not grabbing me as it stands. 

Control Yourself
Good theme and one to make us all think about how we live in a disposable world. Fake personas, throwaway world.
Very robotic and boring until it kicks in and becomes a little bit of a stomper. Decent track.

My Dad's a Dancer
Reminds me of a tune I can't put my finger on. Possibly the weakest on the album although I enjoyed the bassline.

New Values
Synth and drum intro into the vocal. Bit monotonous but I still nod along to it however I'm begging for these to get angry and kick off a bit more. 

Overtime
One of the best tracks. Great intro from the bass, drums and guitar. 

Quite a frantic yet short album. I like the playing on this but the vocal tempo and range is pretty much the same throughout the album though and didn't really keep my attention. Minimal range and chanting at approx. the same time in each song, duelling vocals - they've a formula that they're not moving from. Wouldn't chose to put this on but I wouldn't be angered to have to listen to it either. 

6/10

• Upvote 3

Shopping

The Hype - got a bit of a B-52's thing going on, especially the fella's vocals. The drum fills are excruciatingly poor but I like the Spaghetti Western guitar. Good handclaps.

Wild Child - nice bass tone - new wave vocals. I must admit I can't really get too into this band as the drummer is awful.

Asking for a Friend - good guitar parts, nice tone.

Suddenly - these tunes really kind of all run together - the bass and the guitar sounds while being good are so static and the vocals are so limited in range that it sounds all very similar. The best part of the record so far is the guitar freak out at the end of this.

Shave Your Head - unlistenable - the drummer is atrocious.

Discover - like the Moog bass - this tune at least adds some new colors - this is the best song so far for me. The vocals work well and at least the drummer is out of the way.

Control Yourself - I do like the guitar player, some of it is really interesting. She sings pretty well on this.

My Dad's a Dancer - again B-52's coming through - the riff has a little Rock Lobster flavor.

New Values - another decent synth bass sound - good "dub" delay on the breaks. 

Overtime - feel like I am putting in overtime slogging through here - not really my cuppa any of this.

5/10

• Upvote 2

Review : Tank & The Bangas - Green Balloon

Never heard of them. Here we go...

Spaceships transports us to Sesame Street. Don't like that drum machine at all or the babyish vocals.

I do like that childlike melody though.

Dope Girl Magic - again, really dislike that hi-hat and still struggling with this vocal style.

Like the steel drum sample.

Ants - slower but still child-like, not digging these spoken parts at all.

Bass sounds nice and so does the percussion, but the vocal has lost me.

Reminds me of Janelle Monae, only not as good.

Hot Air Balloons - thank fuck for that snare sound and vocal.

Smooth and easily the best song yet.

Forgetfulness - child-like and beginning to annoy me. Where's the songs at ?!

Get Up is trippy, trancey, jazzy, throwaway.

Too High - some bint talking 'bout weed. Yeh, mega.

I Don't Get High - can we get a song please?

Sweet voice with more dreamlike synths, then the beat drops.

Doesn't take me anywhere this though.

Happy Town - more kids. Fuck off kids.

Interesting riff but the vocal is shit.

And then we're back off down Sesame Street. No.

Nice Things - hideous vocal tone is grating on me.

Smoke. Netflix. Chill. So Tank and her Bangas like to smoke the weed. Big deal. This vocal is typical of the album so far, full of potential but schizophrenic ally shifting from alluring adult to annoying child.

I'm cringing listening to this.

Floating is a welcome break.

They need to quit the ganja.

Mr Lion - nice keys bring us in. Janelle Monae stamped all over this, minus the songs.

The singer had a lovely voice when she's not pretending to be 3 years old.

One of the better efforts so far.

London - smokey lounge bar piano with a pointless self-indulgent "vocal".

Lazy Daze - more wavy keys underpin this, they're the best thing on this record imo.

Lauryn Hill vibes but a boring song with shit lyrics.

Colors Change - longest song on the record, nice vocal which is underpinned by more ambience and percussive sounds.

All I want is a beat.

Ok, I dig the harp.

One of the better efforts here but the bar is set low.

It's fair to say that I did not get along with this record, it frustrated and annoyed me.

There's clearly potential but like most of this type of thing (which I've heard), where are the songs?!

Pure self-indulgence. 2/10

• Upvote 1

Review: Shopping - The Official Body

Never heard of them but what a crappy band name.

Here we go...

The Hype - I cannot stand Joy Division and unfortunately they're my first point of reference. The sparse production job, cold and reverbed out, but otherwise this isn't so bad at all.

I actually prefer it to those morose Manchester muppets.

The band are tight, hi-hats a tad too harsh and I'd prefer some melody, but otherwise not a bad start.

Wild Child - ok, not the WASP cover I was hoping for, that could have been spectacular.

Digging that bass riff, very 80's post-punk nu wave, not my fave era or scene but this is ok.

Simple, in a youth club sorta way.

Asking For A Friend is more of the same. Suppose this is their thing, it's just not mine.

I like the guitar line in the chorus.

Suddenly Gone is very jagged, the drums and guitar firing off very staccato rhythms and riffs.

Not sure I like this one or not.

Shave Your Head - must say, I do prefer the female vocals to the gadgey, she has a punky swagger and edge. He comes across as a morose librarian git.

Like the bass, the drums one dimensional.

Discover - the opening riff promises to be different but then the guitar goes all staccato again.

I like the "You're lonely..." line, sung and it brings some colour and warmth to what is a very cold sounding record imo.

Probably my favourite track so far though.

Control Yourself - I like the start but still not liking the bloke's spoken vocals.

Really like the slap back, tremolo guitar.

This drummer certainly likes his hi-hat.

Too much reverb, especially on the guitar.

My Dad's A Dancer - my dad's a shagger, probably explains why he's been married 4 times. He certainly seems to like wedding cake.

I digress, the drummer is getting right on my tits.

The divorce is in the post.

New Values - whoa, a new flavour. Liking that bass effect.

The lass has that Siouxsie Sioux thing going on.

I never did dig Siouxsie and her Bandits.

One of the better songs.

Overtime - last song on this distinctive little album and a slightly different drum pattern, the snare snapping on different beats. That hi-hat still doing my fakkin nut in though.

Ah, it's alright.

Shopping (shit name) sound like a bunch of late teens / early 20 somethings who sit around in draughty bedsits in holey knitted cardigans, tuning up a battered old pawn shop Jagstang with odd string gauges. They may worship Kevin Turvey but hey, sounds like they're having fun.

Obviously not my cup of tea but I enjoyed parts of all of these songs, not sure about potential or longevity but hey, sounds like they're having fun.

A throwback, not at all bad.

5.5/10

• Upvote 1

On 27/02/2021 at 20:58, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Right, I'm shit at keeping up with this thread and doing my bit. 

Where do I need to review from? Anyone got a list from my choice and I will get on it, like Jan Hammer. 

Sorry mate, missed this post.

3 very different albums..

Public Service Broadcasting - The Race For Space

Tank & The Bangas - Green Balloon

Shopping - The Official Body

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Is it time for a new AOW yet then lads?

Pretty sure it's my turn to pick next so just waiting for your thumbs up.

I'd say get a new record up for the weekend, I'll listen to the last one and a new one. 

url.gif

Public Service Broadcasting - The Race For Space. 

I remember Gagarin coming out and being well into it. Never gave the album a full listen before. 

And I'm gonna be honest, I found it quite underwhelming. I was expecting something along the lines of Mono. It's not shite by any stretch, excellent production and playing, just lacks a bit of feeling for me. 6.89/10 for me. 

• Upvote 2

Harvest - Neil Young

I rarely listen to old stuff, and even more rarely to albums that were in my Dad's (decent sized) record collection, so I probably haven't listened to Harvest all the way through in about 25 years.  So thanks to @Carvalho Diablo and the venerable GF Music Review Club for getting me to give this classic a few spins.

Not really sure what insights I can offer, to an obviously a great record.  Crosby, Stills & Nash on backing vocals, with Linda Ronstadt & James Taylor chipping in as well takes the piss really.

"Heart of Gold", "Old Man" and "The Needle and the Damage Done" are songs everyone knows, for good reason.  Stone cold classics.

Just when you think it might be getting a bit samey - albeit samey in a "one of the greatest country albums of all time" kind of way, then you have the slightly batshit "There's a World" and the crunchy electric guitars kick in for "Alabama" and "Words".

It's also interesting that The Needle and the Damage Done is a live track complete with audience applause - can't think of too many studio albums that just chuck one of those in the middle.  Incongruous, but strangely works.

9.3/10

• Upvote 1

On 27/02/2021 at 17:43, Bobby Hundreds said:

I really like Celeste I'm sat off with a glass of Jam Shed just chilling listening to her album. She could defuse a bomb with her voice extremely talented woman.

Talented and gorgeous with it. I love her.

Harvest - Neil Young 

Never going to be anything other than anything above 9.5/10 for this one. So many brilliant songs on this album, in varying styles and tempos. I've been singing these songs since I was a youngster and will continue to do so until I perish.

It's just absolute brilliance from the gentle bass/kick drum synchronicity at the start of "Out on the Weekend" right through to the 6/8,5/8,4/4 paced "Words (between the Lines of Age)" and everything in between. 

There's nothing I can say about this album that hasn't already been said. Weakest points probably being "Are you ready for the Country?" and "There's a World" but they are very weak points indeed.

Stand Outs:

Out On The Weekend - I've always enjoyed playing the chord progression in the chorus. A deceptively tricky rhythm to play actually, landing on some notes slightly before the main rhythm. 

A Man Needs a Maid - What a song. I know this gets stick from some quarters saying it's quite misogynistic but that's missing the point completely. The raw emotion in this song backed up by that Orchestra is one of the best things ever put to record. Beautiful. 

Heart of Gold - obvious really.

Old Man - Another one with a rhythm at the intro that messed with my head when I first started learning. Great singalong tune and that Pedal Steel is brilliant throughout. 

Alabama - the sound of that guitar. Fucking excellent. 

The Needle and the Damage Done - rare enough for a live track to be included on an album. Even rarer for it to be as amazing as this. His voice is perfect on this. 

Words (between the Lines of Age) - has always reminded me of "She's so Heavy" by The Beatles in terms of the rambling tempo changes and guitar solo improvs. Great closer.

9.5/10

• Upvote 4

I've listened to the Shopping record a couple of times now, I'll write up thoughts tomorrow. Going to listen to the Neil Young record tonight and hopefully again tomorrow for a double whammy.

On 05/03/2021 at 14:06, TheHowieLama said:

Not saying anything about someone who hasn't already heard Harvest but if you haven't already heard Harvest...

Oops, just listening to this for the first time. Feel free to complete that sentence....

Shopping - The Officlal Body

Punk is far from my expertise, only having listened to the commercially famous stuff like The Clash, The Ramones and perhaps a bit of Sex Pistols. I've heard a bit more from this thread so listening to this record is kind of a fresh experience.

Good sound from the band, opening up with an upbeat tempo. The "Last Chance" chant reminds me of another band - I'm thinking of a band with Silvers in the title?. I really like this album's tempo and would definitely enjoy the atmosphere of the band live, with a bit of The Jam vibe coming out of them.

The only criticsm I would level at them is the hooks are a little samey but I think that seems to come with the territory with the genre.

I've listened to the album three times and I have enjoyed it - the opening 5 tracks do run quite well, with track 6 disrupting the flow a little and leaving it until the last couple of tracks before recovering.

It would have been 8/10 but it loses a point for a couple of tracks that drop the vibe. 7/10