You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

Review: Bill Callahan - Gold Record

You guys are good to me, another one I've never heard of.

[presses play]

Pigeons - if I'm making a comparison then Bill sounds more like Leonard Cohen than Johnny Cash, mixing Unchained Melody with Paris, Texas.

Sounds fantastic, loved it.

Another Song - Bill has a great voice, lovely dreamy chorus and the mix is great, especially love the reverbed out guitar

35 - ok, the parameters of this album have been set clear, a singular theme and style.

Are all Callahan's albums like this with Tex Mex flourishes?

Nice but nowhere near as good as the first 2 songs.

Protest Song - some of the guitar work here is very Ry Cooder, sounds like dobro guitar in the background with that very Cooderesque string scraping.

Really like this one, not so much for the lyrics but more for those hypnotic guitars.

The Mackenzie's - a kindly neighbour offers to fix Bill's car and opens his arms to him.

More lovely Cooder guitar.

Charming song and story of loss and surrogacy.

Let's Move To The Country is too twee for my tastes, again I dig the guitar but not the vocal on this occasion.

Breakfast is slower, deeper, great bass and percussion here.

Love the use of reverbs and space here, great production and mixing.

Really like this one.

Cowboy is your atypical cowboy ditty, ala Buster Scruggs. Distant trumpet and delicious guitars, "whiskey, water, tortillas and me", lazy, sunny and quite beautiful.

Ry Cooder - such an obvious inspiration gets his name check but Callahan's vocal lines jar me with their schmaltz.

I found myself cringing here.

As I Wander is another beautiful sounding song to finish off this most peculiar record.

Not my favourite but totally in keeping with those tracks before.

So another album and artist which has broadened my musical pallette, completely distinctive and refreshing.

I'd like to believe that the Tex Mex thing is genuine and heartfelt and not just this season's mockney Parklife.

Bill has a wonderful voice and the inspiration and production is top notch, only the song writing lets this down at times.

Fave songs: Cowboy and Breakfast

7/10 - really enjoyed this and 3 songs have already been added to my playlist.

• Upvote 1

I think I might've been a bit stingy in my Bill Callahan review, find myself still listening to that album (as well as bits and pieces of his other stuff) and really enjoying it all.

Never heard of the guy before but that's the entire reason behind this thread and this club in the first place I suppose.

Thanks for a great pick Jose.

36 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I think I might've been a bit stingy in my Bill Callahan review, find myself still listening to that album (as well as bits and pieces of his other stuff) and really enjoying it all.

Never heard of the guy before but that's the entire reason behind this thread and this club in the first place I suppose.

I've listened to this once and just started again. I like the laid back Americana so going to pick it apart on second listening...

3 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I think I was a bit harsh too. I listened to it again with a bottle of red when the kids were in bed and it grew on me more. I like his Smog stuff more though and I'll dig into that more.

That Mars Volta album though. Right up my street and a piece of art.

• Upvote 1

Have listened to Bill Callahan a couple of times and I really enjoyed it. Straight out with a homage to Johnny Cash and I was in from the off. It's like listening to a Mark Knopfler Americana album (he did pair up with a country singer so probably similar). 

I always enjoy country music so this was always likely to be well received, it's taken a while though to appreciate it's true beauty though because at first it sounds clumsy. But it really isn't, it's more deliberately putting the listener into a slightly troubled place but always knows how to keep you out of trouble. 

I'm going to find more, for definite. 9/10.

The Mars Volta - De-loused in the Comatorium

The album kicks off with synth driven intro track "Son et Lumiere" at over a minute or so long and I'm instantly intrigued.
This track segues into "Inertiatic ESP" which has some excellent heavy riffs and drum fills. Is this heavy-rock or heavy-prog? I'm not quite sure at this point but it's good. This lad can sing and these guys can play. The Bass and Drums are clear and heavy. The effects laden guitar is cracking here. Great start. 

"Roulette Dreams" - At times it sounds like a coked up "King Crimson" or "Van de graf Generator". Love the hi-hat sound here. Some lovely quiet melodic moments interspersed with reverbed and spaced-out guitars. I couldn't even begin to imagine what pedals he's using here on the guitar. A shit load by the sounds of it. Not sure what the chap is singing about, Exoskeletons? Pure prog this track. The keys sound like they are playing a different song yet are part of the same structure. The solo and drums building tension and hearing a "Robert Plant/Led Zep" sounding vocal "scream" section. Then goes mental again. Ace.

"Tira me a las arañas" - Instrumental piece with distorted and resonant guitars and synths, adding a small breather but still in the same mould as the previous tracks. 

"Drunkship of Lanterns" - "Is anybody there?" This is brilliant. Almost like latin/salsa percussion and riffs underpining prog rock? The guitar partly sounds like Santana in places then burts into Jimmy Page style licks now and again, with some eerie ghost-like effects added into the mix. Still have no idea what he's singing about but I sort of don't care to be honest. I'd love to hear Bjork sing this actually.

"Eriatarka" - Straight forward riff intro with a lovely, meloncholy vocal. Brilliantly explodes around the 1.24 mark from the initial soft intro. Takes a turn of pace with effects laden atmospherics, then back into the soft vocals again. Another change around the 3.35 mark with all band members going for it. Really liking the production on large parts of this album. The guitar and bass are very well captured here, especially the trippy ending. 

"Cicatriz ESP" - Longest track on the album and the best. Listen to the heavy guitar and bass here wrestling with those drums! Cool. Bursts into furious action when he signs "I'm defected" (I think. Could it be deflected?). Very prog this track, with a nice slow down for the keys and guitar to shine over those drums around the 4 min mark. Almost Pink Floyd like around the 6 min mark, reminds me of 'Echoes' in a way. The use of space here is brilliant. Almost floating for 3 minutes before it kicks back in. I'm getting the suggestion that the 3 min quiet section symbolises a dream and then the kick back is the "wake up"? Chaotic and dazed. The original bassline then brings the song back around to the first half, binding it in, and he again sings "I'm defected". Phew. Breathe. Brilliant.

"This Apparatus Must be Unearthed" - short at ONLY 5 mins long compared to the rest. This takes the listener away from the dream like parts of the last track and rips their teeth out. Manic guitar here sounding like a chainsaw and a blender combined. Not really a fan of the vocal effect but it absolutely works here. There's dissonant chords/disharmony and subtle poly-rhythms, with effects applied everywhere just add to the overall sense of urgency. The ending comparable to listening to Martin Tyler inside your head for days. 

"Televators" - Slow piece anchored around an acoustic guitar, with trippy effects and reverb which reminds me of parts of "Bulletproof" from "The Bends". This was definitely needed after the aural blast of the last track. Moody and sorrowful. I hear Bongos, and I think I hear a double bass too. I reckon I could listen to this album a 100 times and hear something new each time. Not the best track but probably his best vocal.

"Take The Veil Cerpin Taxt" - Now we're talking... Love this, epic. His vocal delivery here has echoes of David Byrne which is never a bad thing. The drum fills here are class. The middle section of the track sounds like a space rock experiment. The rambling guitar almost sounding like a Computer burping over a prodding bassline. That bassline is lovely, leading into a beautiful guitar run. Epic Outro too bringing the album to an end. I would have liked seeing this album being recorded. 

Well, wow. That was a journey. A very welcome way to spend an hour listening to an album that switches between fast heavy guitar/bass and keyboard pieces to slow, prog atmospheric sounds. I'm still not sure if it's pure Prog as it's way too energetic at times but who cares? Rock, Prog, Latin/Salsa, Jazz - makes for a very good album. 

This album is going onto my favourites list straight away. I can see myself listening to this quite a lot. 
There's just so many layers to it and so much to discover, including who the band members are which I haven't yet looked into. 
Looking forward to digging further into who the members are, what they're at now etc. 

A very easy 9/10

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

The Mars Volta - De-loused in the Comatorium

The album kicks off with synth driven intro track "Son et Lumiere" at over a minute or so long and I'm instantly intrigued.
This track segues into "Inertiatic ESP" which has some excellent heavy riffs and drum fills. Is this heavy-rock or heavy-prog? I'm not quite sure at this point but it's good. This lad can sing and these guys can play. The Bass and Drums are clear and heavy. The effects laden guitar is cracking here. Great start. 

"Roulette Dreams" - At times it sounds like a coked up "King Crimson" or "Van de graf Generator". Love the hi-hat sound here. Some lovely quiet melodic moments interspersed with reverbed and spaced-out guitars. I couldn't even begin to imagine what pedals he's using here on the guitar. A shit load by the sounds of it. Not sure what the chap is singing about, Exoskeletons? Pure prog this track. The keys sound like they are playing a different song yet are part of the same structure. The solo and drums building tension and hearing a "Robert Plant/Led Zep" sounding vocal "scream" section. Then goes mental again. Ace.

"Tira me a las arañas" - Instrumental piece with distorted and resonant guitars and synths, adding a small breather but still in the same mould as the previous tracks. 

"Drunkship of Lanterns" - "Is anybody there?" This is brilliant. Almost like latin/salsa percussion and riffs underpining prog rock? The guitar partly sounds like Santana in places then burts into Jimmy Page style licks now and again, with some eerie ghost-like effects added into the mix. Still have no idea what he's singing about but I sort of don't care to be honest. I'd love to hear Bjork sing this actually.

"Eriatarka" - Straight forward riff intro with a lovely, meloncholy vocal. Brilliantly explodes around the 1.24 mark from the initial soft intro. Takes a turn of pace with effects laden atmospherics, then back into the soft vocals again. Another change around the 3.35 mark with all band members going for it. Really liking the production on large parts of this album. The guitar and bass are very well captured here, especially the trippy ending. 

"Cicatriz ESP" - Longest track on the album and the best. Listen to the heavy guitar and bass here wrestling with those drums! Cool. Bursts into furious action when he signs "I'm defected" (I think. Could it be deflected?). Very prog this track, with a nice slow down for the keys and guitar to shine over those drums around the 4 min mark. Almost Pink Floyd like around the 6 min mark, reminds me of 'Echoes' in a way. The use of space here is brilliant. Almost floating for 3 minutes before it kicks back in. I'm getting the suggestion that the 3 min quiet section symbolises a dream and then the kick back is the "wake up"? Chaotic and dazed. The original bassline then brings the song back around to the first half, binding it in, and he again sings "I'm defected". Phew. Breathe. Brilliant.

"This Apparatus Must be Unearthed" - short at ONLY 5 mins long compared to the rest. This takes the listener away from the dream like parts of the last track and rips their teeth out. Manic guitar here sounding like a chainsaw and a blender combined. Not really a fan of the vocal effect but it absolutely works here. There's dissonant chords/disharmony and subtle poly-rhythms, with effects applied everywhere just add to the overall sense of urgency. The ending comparable to listening to Martin Tyler inside your head for days. 

"Televators" - Slow piece anchored around an acoustic guitar, with trippy effects and reverb which reminds me of parts of "Bulletproof" from "The Bends". This was definitely needed after the aural blast of the last track. Moody and sorrowful. I hear Bongos, and I think I hear a double bass too. I reckon I could listen to this album a 100 times and hear something new each time. Not the best track but probably his best vocal.

"Take The Veil Cerpin Taxt" - Now we're talking... Love this, epic. His vocal delivery here has echoes of David Byrne which is never a bad thing. The drum fills here are class. The middle section of the track sounds like a space rock experiment. The rambling guitar almost sounding like a Computer burping over a prodding bassline. That bassline is lovely, leading into a beautiful guitar run. Epic Outro too bringing the album to an end. I would have liked seeing this album being recorded. 

Well, wow. That was a journey. A very welcome way to spend an hour listening to an album that switches between fast heavy guitar/bass and keyboard pieces to slow, prog atmospheric sounds. I'm still not sure if it's pure Prog as it's way too energetic at times but who cares? Rock, Prog, Latin/Salsa, Jazz - makes for a very good album. 

This album is going onto my favourites list straight away. I can see myself listening to this quite a lot. 
There's just so many layers to it and so much to discover, including who the band members are which I haven't yet looked into. 
Looking forward to digging further into who the members are, what they're at now etc. 

A very easy 9/10

@ZonkoVille77
Iro the lyrics, for their 3rd album "The Bedlam In Goliath", when in Marrakech stoned, the band bought a Ouija board from a market and the lyrics came from their drugged up sessions communicating with the dead!

Also, you might be really surprised by some of the musicians who play on this record.

Pleased you enjoyed it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

@ZonkoVille77
Iro the lyrics, for their 3rd album "The Bedlam In Goliath", when in Marrakech stoned, the band bought a Ouija board from a market and the lyrics came from their drugged up sessions communicating with the dead!

Also, you might be really surprised by some of the musicians who play on this record.

Pleased you enjoyed it.

Brilliant. I love that sort of madness. I'll check out their other stuff.

I've heard of At the Drive-In but I've never really sat down and listened to them with much attention. I'll have to check that out too. 

Flea and Frusciante... well well. Impressive turn out. 

The Mars Volta - Deloused in the comatorium

I entertained the idea of going for a track by track review for this one, but then @ZonkoVille77 posted his review. What a fucking great review that is, there’s no way I can get close to that.

So some unstructured thoughts:

I was rather partial to a bit of At the Drive In back in the day so I was sure I’d heard this when it came out, but when I listened to it I had no recollection whatsoever.

Cedric and Omar definitely upped the prog level with The Mars Volta, and at first I thought this might be over my prog line. However, it’s a real grower and the more I listened to it the more I liked it. It’s a real interesting mix of sounds, and I especially like the Latin hardcore elements. Also got to tip the cap to all the obtuse song titles, no half measures there.

I reckon I still prefer the more simple charms of Relationship of Command, but I’m giving this 8.5/10

• Upvote 1

I've listened to The Mars Volta three times (third time was last night) and it clicked the third time I listened to it as previous listens there was a lot going on. It needs a fourth listen (and I'm going to listen on earphones for immersive listen) to hear it for what it should be to me.

4 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I came across that too when I was reading about the members. I really like it. Much more so that "At the Drive In" which did nothing for me. 

Yeah, whoever was the Sound Manipulator fella that died was pretty ace. The effects throughout De-Loused are really really good.