You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

My next choice is a solo album by Mariusz Duda from one of my favourite bands 'Riverside', under the moniker 'Lunatic Soul'. This is an album that needs a good few listens and some decent headphones. Its all about the music and especially the atmospherics on this album. It won't be to everyone's liking....

Walking on a Flashlight Beam - Lunatic Soul 

• Upvote 1

Lunatic Soul - Walking on a Flashlight Beam

As the record started I thought "uh oh", then I thought "modern art video installation" and while there is a bit of that all the way through, there's also certainly enough tunage here to keep me interested.

It's also rather European dystopian sci fi soundtrack sounding. 

I went out to the local market to buy some fish yesterday and was listening to this while walking along through the winter streets with hardly anyone about and those who were all wearing masks and looking at me suspiciously and it fit the scene perfectly.

It lost my attention a little bit towards the end of the album where there are a couple of longer songs, and the whole thing tips over the hour mark, if he could have kept it around 45-50 minutes that would have made it a really tight and enjoyable experience.  Still restraint is not the way of the prog I suppose.  Lost a little bit of points for that, so I'm  giving it 7.47/10

• Upvote 2

Sorry for the delay...

Review : Lunatic Soul - Walking On A Flashlight Beam

Some more brand new music to these ears...

[presses play]

Shutting Out The Sun sneaks in covertly, waves lapping the shoreline and some synthy stuff, setting a mood, perfect for a sunny summer's day.

That mood is broken by some ominous chords and some ecclesiastical organ stabs. Vocals kick in around 6:15.

All mood, all vibe, reminds me of Martin Greche.

Promising.

Cold is ushered in by more sonic shenanigans, I'm growing impatient for an actual song.

Clean guitars to the rescue? Heavy effects on the vocals, this reminds me of one of those Scando-noir cop shows on BBC 4. The Bridge?

I like that ride cymbal and bass riff but there's a lot of style here without a lot of substance.

Disappointing.

Gutter - percussive jungle vibes but I'm not digging these vocals, sounds half asleep. Well produced but where's the song?

Nice melody for the chorus, best song yet.

The Fear Within - growing tedious now, I'm wishing it'd just get a shift on. Getting nostalgic for a simpler Duran, Duran record.

Is the singer shy? He certainly doesn't like to be up front and center. 4:30 in and still no sign of him...here come the clean guitars.

Pure self indulgence, pisses me off.

Treehouse - more like it, a riff and a vocal, come analog drums drop, nice bass line. More conventional and much better for it.

Steve Wilson and Martin Greche vibes, best song yet for me, also goes a bit Strawberry Fields.

Much better.

Pygmalion's Ladder kicks off with an Arabian lilt...and another lengthy Instrumenral passage.

I realise that I'm being hypocritical because Wish You Were Here (with SOYCD) was one of my picks, but I just wish this fella would get a fucking shift on.

I want this to excite me but it really isn't.

Sky Drawn In Crayon creeps in, better vocal melody, more Arabian vibes, bonus marks for the xylophone.

Great start but goes nowhere.

Walking On A Flashlight Beam - title track. The acoustic drums are very welcome, too synthy for me this record.

The key change is nice.

One of the better songs.

Phew, long album and the more times I listened, the longer it seemed to drag on.

I found myself admiring this without ever really enjoying it, like a gorgeous bird who's like a sack of spuds in bed.

I wanted excitement, I got a laid back demo of Muzak. Sorry but I just don't get it.

Seems like the archetype that punk rock railed against.

4/10

• Upvote 2

Just finished listening to Lunatic Soul and I quite enjoyed it. Certainly not all of it was great but I would say I enjoyed tracks 2, 3, 7 8 and 9 the most. The other tracks on the record are not quite up to the same standard but 6.5/10 seems a fair overall score for 5 really good tracks plus 5 middling tracks.

It's not necessarily something I would actively seek out but as it turns out it's not something that I rushed to switch off either.

Give me another day on the last record - have put in on a few times not really made it through.

Plus now I am blasting the Irish Hip Hop:

"You, will never see a lambo"

"Come to my gaff if you want a saucy sambo"

I got one to put up.

Does it have to be a record? There is a great "tiny desk" style appearance that I am thinking of.

12 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Give me another day on the last record - have put in on a few times not really made it through.

Plus now I am blasting the Irish Hip Hop:

"You, will never see a lambo"

"Come to my gaff if you want a saucy sambo"

I got one to put up.

Does it have to be a record? There is a great "tiny desk" style appearance that I am thinking of.

If it's music, I'd say it gets in.

On 23/07/2020 at 21:10, TheHowieLama said:

OK - still wading through the last record and will get my review up.

My next one is not a record but a performance/recording.

Madison Cunningham

Got to get off my arse and git this sucka reviewed. Will get it done tomorrow.

Review : Madison Cunningham - Live Session

Very nice to see a female artist getting a look in, never heard of Madison Cunningham before.

She kicks off this tiny 3 song set with Pin It Down, built around a funky riff and offset by Cunningham's sweet and effortless vocal.

Despite the bass player's pretentious cardigan, he can play too. The girl drummer is really good too, understated with some tasty ghost notes from that snare.

I love the tremolo on the guitar during the chorus.

Perhaps the song is a touch too long but otherwise I really enjoyed that.

The instruments sound fantastic, props to whomever mixed this little session.

Best song is called LA, starts out bumbling and twee. Undoubtedly Madison can really sing.

The cardy wearing bass hipster douche is annoying me though, he should fuck off back to Coldplay. He can play though and the ponce's bass tone is thick and rich.

Again, enjoyed this but not as strong as the opener. Loved that floor tom at the end.

Cunningham closes her little set with Something To Believe In.

More shimmering delay and tremolo sounds wonderful. Fucking love P90s me. A strong vocal melody carries us on.

Definitely adding this to my Spotify playlist, it'll get an airing next weekend up at the allotment.

Possibly the strongest song of the 3.

So, Howie pulled a rabbit out of his hat with this little set, I'll definitely check out the album which these songs are from.

Madison Cunningham - really enjoyed that.

A strong 7.5/10

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Review : Madison Cunningham - Live Session

Very nice to see a female artist getting a look in, never heard of Madison Cunningham before.

She kicks off this tiny 3 song set with Pin It Down, built around a funky riff and offset by Cunningham's sweet and effortless vocal.

Despite the bass player's pretentious cardigan, he can play too. The girl drummer is really good too, understated with some tasty ghost notes from that snare.

I love the tremolo on the guitar during the chorus.

Perhaps the song is a touch too long but otherwise I really enjoyed that.

The instruments sound fantastic, props to whomever mixed this little session.

Best song is called LA, starts out bumbling and twee. Undoubtedly Madison can really sing.

The cardy wearing bass hipster douche is annoying me though, he should fuck off back to Coldplay. He can play though and the ponce's bass tone is thick and rich.

Again, enjoyed this but not as strong as the opener. Loved that floor tom at the end.

Cunningham closes her little set with Something To Believe In.

More shimmering delay and tremolo sounds wonderful. Fucking love P90s me. A strong vocal melody carries us on.

Definitely adding this to my Spotify playlist, it'll get an airing next weekend up at the allotment.

Possibly the strongest song of the 3.

So, Howie pulled a rabbit out of his hat with this little set, I'll definitely check out the album which these songs are from.

Madison Cunningham - really enjoyed that.

A strong 7.5/10

It's a great set they have produced there, going back to when this thread first started I chose a country record - country and Americana is probably my go to music of choice.

I really enjoyed this set and I will also be checking out the rather delightful Madison Cunningham in her studio recordings.

I'll see your 7.5/10 and raise it to 8.5/10.