You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

Karate - Unsolved

I've had 3 listens to this album. Maybe I just don't get it. The rock/jazz combo is a very brave thing to attempt and the musicians are brilliant, especially the guitarist. So the album is musically excellent but that's about it. I can't get behind the "singer" at all. I wouldn't even call it singing because most of the time he's just talking and it's quite annoying. Take away the singer and its just a jazz band albeit a very good one at that. I'd happily listen to them in a jazz bar but without the singer. Not for me I'm afraid but well worth a listen. 

8.5/10 for the band

5/10 when the singer is involved. 

• Upvote 1

Second time through a liked this a fair bit more than the first time, maybe it was a morning/afternoon thing?

At times this reminded me a little bit of 90s Belgian art rock heroes deUS, but a bit more restrained. “An Ideal Crash” being the best deUS album of course, which sounds nothing like this Karate record really. 

Anyway, I digress, back to Karate.  I’m with Zonko on the singing, over earnestly delivered over earnest self consciously arty lyrics were not for me. 

Also his voice is annoying.

Still the playing is really excellent. If you’re in the mood for some jazzy guitar, then this  hits the spot.

I’m going 8 for the band, 4 for the singing which leaves us at an even 6/10.

• Upvote 1

I am a bit behind - Sault is quite a thing. Not sure but she is the girl singer?

The tracks are thick and punchy, bass has that direct to the board "Jamerson" sound throughout.

There is really a breadth of influences that all work - some great lyrics as well. Can be enjoyed close up - or as a bed in the background.

As an aside their/her "Wildfires" the latest track is spot f'in on - think it is her processed vocal as the solo? Like waxpaper over a comb that. The reverb drip on the handclaps - worth the price of admission alone.

• Upvote 2

As @TheHowieLama has almost caught up and there was no album last week to allow people a break from it, I feel it may be time for a new selection. If you're ready, I have the list whittled down to three so I should be ready to post it up tomorrow morning.

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

I am a bit behind - Sault is quite a thing. Not sure but she is the girl singer?

The tracks are thick and punchy, bass has that direct to the board "Jamerson" sound throughout.

There is really a breadth of influences that all work - some great lyrics as well. Can be enjoyed close up - or as a bed in the background.

As an aside their/her "Wildfires" the latest track is spot f'in on - think it is her processed vocal as the solo? Like waxpaper over a comb that. The reverb drip on the handclaps - worth the price of admission alone.

Was listening to Wildfires myself, earlier on. Really good track.

Time for a new a new record? So here we go...

Duran Duran were great back in the 80s and possibly 90s. Then they went a bit shit. A few albums that did nothing. Then they went weird. Very weird. Duran Duran featuring Justin Timberlake? Wait, what?...

Yes, an entire album produced by Timbaland with some very strange tracks including Nite-Runner (above).

It could be argued that they never really returned to their former heights. The closest they perhaps got was their single - Pressure Off - produced by Mark Ronson and featuring Janelle Monáe and Niles Rodgers...

If I recall Niles Rodgers featured on one of their biggest hits, The Reflex.

So inbetween Timbaland and Janelle Monáe, Duran released an album produced also by Mark Ronson which reached back to their earlier music and also gave them a brief new lease of life. The album is called All You Need Is Now...

https://open.spotify.com/album/08n6X3olBcSEgFYvicf11S?si=OLYeQMDfQ4igrj2gu0q8YQ

All You Need is Now  - Duran Duran

I saw these live at a festival a few years back and not being a fan I was expecting nothing but came away fairly surprised. 
They were good but they stuck to the hits. I guess when you've been around as long as these lads have you kind of have things nailed down.My wife is a big fan so I might heard this album before around the house and not by choice.... 

Press play.....

All You Need is Now 
The opener sounds like something Blur could muster up. A hint of Liam Gallagher's solo stuff in the verse section but unmistakably Duran Duran in the Chorus. A Bright and bouncy number. Not bad at all. 

Blame the Machines
80's vibe all over this with a blast of synths and sequencers. That's about as good as it gets. Those Whoa's are annoying. 

Being Followed
Hearing the early Duran Duran sound. I found this boring.

Leave a Light On
I like the start of this. I'm a fan of the aul drum machine sometimes. Nice acoustic guitar going through the start. 
Bit like their 'Save a Prayer' song in parts. Production is nice on this track. 

Safe (In the heat of the moment)
Great start to this. Funky as fuck and I really like that bass line. Decent radio friendly synth-pop song.

Girl Panic!
Oasis have a song called Gas Panic! It's better than this. 

A Diamond in the Mind
Pleasant enough track. Sounds like it was part of a bigger idea that never took off fully.

The Man Who Stole a Leopard
Best track on the album for me. The vocal is lovely on this. A very odd track and I think that's why it works. 

Other People's Lives
Again, unmistakably Duran Duran. It has everything their early 80's albums had. Decent track.

Mediterranea
Written on a yacht perhaps? 'Rio' springs to mind here. Decent vocal by Simon here. A boring song in the verses however. 

Too bad You're So Beautiful
Trying to be The Killers on this one but still staying themselves? Not very catchy though and lyrically shite. In fact the whole album isn't great in that respect.

Runaway Runaway
Forgettable really and I have to admit I'm getting tired of this album by now. 

Return to Now
Unnecessary filler instrumental.

Before the Rain
Not a bad song and I like the chord progression on this one. Vocals are bit 'shouty'. 

Defo harks back to the 80's this album. That's their gig though, isn't it? I don't doubt if they released it back then it would have been fairly successful. The production is very good as expected from Ronson. 
It's not a terrible album really, upbeat and high energy but nothing stands out and it seems like I was listening to it for hours. Not for me. Die hard fans would surely love this though.

5.5/10 

7 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

All You Need is Now  - Duran Duran

I saw these live at a festival a few years back and not being a fan I was expecting nothing but came away fairly surprised. 
They were good but they stuck to the hits. I guess when you've been around as long as these lads have you kind of have things nailed down.My wife is a big fan so I might heard this album before around the house and not by choice.... 

Press play.....

All You Need is Now 
The opener sounds like something Blur could muster up. A hint of Liam Gallagher's solo stuff in the verse section but unmistakably Duran Duran in the Chorus. A Bright and bouncy number. Not bad at all. 

Blame the Machines
80's vibe all over this with a blast of synths and sequencers. That's about as good as it gets. Those Whoa's are annoying. 

Being Followed
Hearing the early Duran Duran sound. I found this boring.

Leave a Light On
I like the start of this. I'm a fan of the aul drum machine sometimes. Nice acoustic guitar going through the start. 
Bit like their 'Save a Prayer' song in parts. Production is nice on this track. 

Safe (In the heat of the moment)
Great start to this. Funky as fuck and I really like that bass line. Decent radio friendly synth-pop song.

Girl Panic!
Oasis have a song called Gas Panic! It's better than this. 

A Diamond in the Mind
Pleasant enough track. Sounds like it was part of a bigger idea that never took off fully.

The Man Who Stole a Leopard
Best track on the album for me. The vocal is lovely on this. A very odd track and I think that's why it works. 

Other People's Lives
Again, unmistakably Duran Duran. It has everything their early 80's albums had. Decent track.

Mediterranea
Written on a yacht perhaps? 'Rio' springs to mind here. Decent vocal by Simon here. A boring song in the verses however. 

Too bad You're So Beautiful
Trying to be The Killers on this one but still staying themselves? Not very catchy though and lyrically shite. In fact the whole album isn't great in that respect.

Runaway Runaway
Forgettable really and I have to admit I'm getting tired of this album by now. 

Return to Now
Unnecessary filler instrumental.

Before the Rain
Not a bad song and I like the chord progression on this one. Vocals are bit 'shouty'. 

Defo harks back to the 80's this album. That's their gig though, isn't it? I don't doubt if they released it back then it would have been fairly successful. The production is very good as expected from Ronson. 
It's not a terrible album really, upbeat and high energy and nothing stands out and it seems like I was listening to it for hours. Not for me. Die hard fans would surely love this though.

5.5/10 

I think 6/10 is about right, I really enjoyed Duran back in the early days but they released some really awful albums while they had disappeared in the England. This was about as good as they got after their heyday - if you like Duran you'll like this - if you don't, you won't.

Just calling in with my apologies, I've listened to Shooter's new AOW a couple of times already but I need to listen again (and write up my review).

Unfortunately it'll probably be early next week before I get a chance to do that, getting a new hifi delivered in a couple of days so gonna be music-less for a little while.

Karate is pleasant enough - the vocals remind me of the fella from Counting Crows but less soulful. 

I like Sever - great pinch harmonics in the guitar parts. Nice jam at the end.

The tones are nice throughout, if a little samey. Really prefer his distorted playing - more melodic - the jam at the end of 6 (I think) with the soaring distortion and echo feedback is nice. Also like the wah in the "Angels".

Pretty good stuff.

• Upvote 1

Review : Duran Duran - All You Need Is Now

I love good pop music, *good* pop music, I cannot stand Duran Duran.

Been a long time though...

All You Need Is Now - title track and opener, expecting big things.

Ok, it comes in all Depeche Modey but doesn't last long, the chorus is all Duran Duran.

Simon Le Bon is just a terrible singer. Pinched, nasal, even auto-tuned to fuck he's still flat.

Despite that, not bad. Pleasantly surprised.

Blame The Machines - somehow reminds me of Aha... and Le Bon still can't sing. Pleasant enough though.

Being Followed reminds me of Blondie with it's tempo and disco beat and busy hi-hat.

2011 this album was released but sounds decades older; whether deliberate or organic I do not know.

Another pleasant song.

Leave A Light On - slower, more mellow, I don't mind the music but Le Bon is an awful singer, even with the auto-tune he just cannot carry the song.

It's alright. Mix is nice.

Safe - gives off Wham vibes, without George's killer hooks and delivery.

The drum machine sucks, the female middle 12 is corny as fuck and Le Bon destroys the auto-tune.

This is the Duran Duran I remember.

Girl Panic! (don't forget the exclamation mark!) is Duran Duran by the numbers. The bass line is the best part. Got early 80s stamped all over this.

2 minutes too long.

A Diamond In The Mind - what the fuck was that?!

Ill conceived and poorly executed.

The Man Who Stole A Leopard - Duran Duran pre-date Joe Exotic in this completely bizarre and random tale of some bloke who nicked a fucking leopard.Not a joke.

Let's chuck in some synthy violins - why not? More flat, Nadal vocals and an outro which would make Spinal Tap jealous.

Utterly bizarre / not sure if serious.

Other People's Lives - more up tempo / disco Duran Duran by the numbers.

Was disco still a thing in 2011?

Mediterranea - more smooth DD electro-pop punctuated by the insufferable Le Bon.

God, how I wish he'd have stayed capsized.

Favourite song so far.

Too Bad You're So Beautiful - starts like a dentist's drill, more disco, more Blondie by the numbers.

Horrible bridge with crass lyrics.

Runway Runaway - crass title, nice guitar jangle at the start, the music is ok, the lyrics are crap, the vocals are terrible.

Next...

Return To Now - more pointless synthy strings cook up a dirge and reprise the album's bland theme.

Get the fuck out of here.

Before The Rain - did I mention a pointless synthy dirge? Made even worse by Le Bon and his excramental whifferages.

*Oh how his ears bleed". His ears? *His" fucking ears ?! Cheeky fucking twat.

Fucking ghastly.

Ok, where to start? No surprises save for Duran Duran's steadfast refusal (or inability) to modernise or progress their sound in over 30 years.

Bland, predictable, generic, dated, at times utterly bizarre and ill conceived.

To top this all, Simon Le Bon just cannot sing. He is laughable throughout.

I'll give All You Need Is Now a generous 3/10 (for the Blondie reminiscences).

This album should have been called All You Need Is A Good Hard Kick In The Bollocks.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Ok, it comes in all Depeche Modey but doesn't last long, the chorus is all Duran Duran.

Simon Le Bon is just a terrible singer. Pinched, nasal, even auto-tuned to fuck he's still flat.

Blame The Machines - somehow reminds me of Aha... and Le Bon still can't sing. Pleasant enough though.

Being Followed reminds me of Blondie with it's tempo and disco beat and busy hi-hat.

2011 this album was released but sounds decades older; whether deliberate or organic I do not know.

Another pleasant song.

Leave A Light On - slower, more mellow, I don't mind the music but Le Bon is an awful singer, even with the auto-tune he just cannot carry the song.

The drum machine sucks, the female middle 12 is corny as fuck and Le Bon destroys the auto-tune.

Girl Panic! (don't forget the exclamation mark!) is Duran Duran by the numbers. The bass line is the best part. Got early 80s stamped all over this.

2 minutes too long.

The Man Who Stole A Leopard - Duran Duran pre-date Joe Exotic in this completely bizarre and random tale of some bloke who nicked a fucking leopard.Not a joke.

Let's chuck in some synthy violins - why not? More flat, Nadal vocals and an outro which would make Spinal Tap jealous.

Mediterranea - more smooth DD electro-pop punctuated by the insufferable Le Bon.

Favourite song so far.

Too Bad You're So Beautiful - starts like a dentist's drill, more disco, more Blondie by the numbers.

Runway Runaway - crass title, nice guitar jangle at the start, the music is ok, the lyrics are crap, the vocals are terrible.

Next...

Return To Now - more pointless synthy strings cook up a dirge and reprise the album's bland theme.

Before The Rain - did I mention a pointless synthy dirge? Made even worse by Le Bon and his excramental whifferages.

Fucking ghastly.

Ok, where to start? No surprises save for Duran Duran's steadfast refusal (or inability) to modernise or progress their sound in over 30 years.

This album should have been called All You Need Is A Good Hard Kick In The Bollocks.

oof!

4 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Another pleasant song.

2 minutes too long.

Favourite song so far.

Next...

Fucking ghastly.

I had a good chuckle at this. Brilliant.